Anybody know of a way to get my Fender Deluxe Players Strat to sound more like a les paul without changing the pickups?

This may sound like a stupid question but i was wondering whether altering pot resistance and the capacitor ratings could produce a darker tone more like a les paul. Obviously before all the guitar nerds start mocking me in a desperate effort to increase the size of their e-penis i do realise that i'm not going to get a les paul sound from single coils however i'd like to ditch the all too familiar sound of a strat for that darker, mean tone of a les paul and was wondering if there was a way to do it without using humbuckers.

Thanks!
Dan
Not really... go for 500K lower value pots and .022 uf caps.

EDIT: Thank you williscool for catching that mistake.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Last edited by Albino_Rhino at Sep 3, 2009,
Quote by sleazydan
Anybody know of a way to get my Fender Deluxe Players Strat to sound more like a les paul without changing the pickups?

This may sound like a stupid question but i was wondering whether altering pot resistance and the capacitor ratings could produce a darker tone more like a les paul. Obviously before all the guitar nerds start mocking me in a desperate effort to increase the size of their e-penis i do realise that i'm not going to get a les paul sound from single coils however i'd like to ditch the all too familiar sound of a strat for that darker, mean tone of a les paul and was wondering if there was a way to do it without using humbuckers.

Thanks!
Dan

yes, you can do it without changing your pickups. it's simple really... all you gotta do is trade the fender for a les paul since thats the only way you can get a strat to have that les paul tone and sustain without attemting to swap the pickups. it's all in the wood, the mass and the neck joint. even swapping the pickups wont get you there either.
theres a pedal called seymour duncan pickup booster that fattens up your tone. maybe not les pauly but more humbuckery. quite cheap too.
Quote by slash11896
I picked up my guitar this morning and started playing next thing i know i cant stop playing In the key of A, the first letter or her name, I ended up recording a whole song in A.

Quote by WhiskeyFace
I like women with balls.
Quote by noisefarmer
yes, you can do it without changing your pickups. it's simple really... all you gotta do is trade the fender for a les paul since thats the only way you can get a strat to have that les paul tone and sustain without attemting to swap the pickups. it's all in the wood, the mass and the neck joint. even swapping the pickups wont get you there either.

My Super Strat Yamaha with a humbucker would like to disagree with your ridiculous and non fact based opinion. Stop being wrong.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Quote by sleazydan

Thanks!
Dan

Quit being such a tool. We're not like that in the GB&C.

Try wiring your pickups in series, that's how the coils of a humbucker are wired. It'll give you a fatter, darker tone. Also, replacing your pots with lower values will darken up the tone, but I wouldn't go any lower than 100K.
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by handbanana
wiliscool is just plain dumb
Last edited by wiliscool at Sep 3, 2009,
Quote by Albino_Rhino
My Super Strat Yamaha with a humbucker would like to disagree with your ridiculous and non fact based opinion. Stop being wrong.

your yamaha with a humbucker isnt the OP's fender with pickups he doesnt want to change. plus your yamaha is special.
Quote by wiliscool

Try wiring your pickups in series, that's how the coils of a humbucker are wired. It'll give you a fatter, darker tone. Also, replacing your pots with lower values will darken up the tone, but I wouldn't go any lower than 100K.

Well noisefarmer clearly is LOL! he obviously wants to max out his e-penis.

And thanks for your answer, that's the kind of thing i was looking for. I'll give it a go.

Cheers!
Quote by wiliscool
Well, some are. Still no reason for him to go that way in his OP.

Quote by wiliscool
Try wiring your pickups in series, that's how the coils of a humbucker are wired. It'll give you a fatter, darker tone.
yeah, that.

Quote by wiliscool
Also, replacing your pots with lower values will darken up the tone, but I wouldn't go any lower than 100K.
I really wouldn't. I'd experiment without a volume control and try a 500k pot wired like a tone control, but without a cap. Directly to ground. Dial it in to find the resistance that gives the preferred tone. Then double that value and use that for the size of the volume and tone pots.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Lowering the pot values is going to make it darker,
Quote by sleazydan
This may sound like a stupid question but i was wondering whether altering pot resistance and the capacitor ratings could produce a darker tone

Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.