OK I'm 14 and I've been doing classical guitar for a while and I'm doing my grade 3 exam this year. I've recently tried to get into guitar because someone in my music class at school is very good at all the modern stuff but I tried and I'm terrible. I'm an embarrassment in school when everyone is rocking out with eachother and I just fail.

I'd just like a few pointers on how to get started with playing using tabs more naturally, what are good songs to start with and any good techniques?
Thanks if you can help.
Seems like you've got the blues there lad, that's a start.

If you are playing classical, you probably know some scales.
Go to www.all-guitar-chords.com study the site and learn to play the blues (as an example), then move on to the whatever you like to listen to...
1971 - was the f***ing year
Bobby Liebling is the man!
Last edited by Ridder Lugtepik at Sep 3, 2009,
Hey man, Classical guitar is like, totally cool! If you're good at classical, then there's no need to try and show up anybody who plays "modern" stuff, ya know? To each his own, so don't be discouraged by those around you.
Founder of the C.F. Martin & Co. Guitar Owners club.
YOU........should join if you have a Martin.....!!!!
JOIN

My Band: Abaton

Abaton

Check out some of the acoustic stuff on my profile if you want
Quote by vodoochile
Hey man, Classical guitar is like, totally cool! If you're good at classical, then there's no need to try and show up anybody who plays "modern" stuff, ya know? To each his own, so don't be discouraged by those around you.

I know what you mean and thanks but I have a big interest in all tabs and stuff too XD I really just want to be part of it all.
So is your main struggle reading tabs or is it the style of music that others are playing?
Founder of the C.F. Martin & Co. Guitar Owners club.
YOU........should join if you have a Martin.....!!!!
JOIN

My Band: Abaton

Abaton

Check out some of the acoustic stuff on my profile if you want
Quote by vodoochile
So is your main struggle reading tabs or is it the style of music that others are playing?

Well I've just started and I can't read tabs too well and I'm not great at techniques really.
http://www.justinguitar.com/en/TB-011-ReadTAB.php

That's a lesson right there on reading tabs. Since there aren't really any rules, some people might deviate from the notations Justin shows. Usually though, they'll provide a legend if that's the case.

EDIT: I meant about stuff like slides or vibratos, some people use '/' for sliding, some people use 's' and so on.
Last edited by Captain Panda at Sep 3, 2009,
is there anything you want to specifically play, something you've heard that you wanted to play?

how to read tabs has been explained countless times, basically each horizontal line is a string on the guitar and the numbers refer to the frets.

the lowest line on the tab is the lowest string (E in standard), and the highest line would be the high e in standard tuning.