i'm not ashamed to admit but i used to be a big guy...i still am but not as big as what i once was. unfortunately tho, my big weight loss has resulted in my fingertips being fleshy...especially on the pads (where my finger prints are).

this causes them to catch on the string below the one i'm pressing down and causes it to rasp or thuds the sound...this is awful for when playing chords...

are there guitars for "fatter-fingered" guys or do i need to do something with my fingers?
There are a lot of shred guitarists with fat fingers. But that fingertips being fleshy, I don't know about that. Maybe you could experiment with the action of the guitar or different strings.
Quote by razorback91
Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

Yes, its its own kind of metal, but its still metal.
Just make barred chords like somthing like the F chord.

-------------------------
-------------------------
--3------------------------
--3------------------------
--1----------------------
--1----------------------

Something like that?
Turtles R awesome. dont agree? YOU GO TO HELL, YOU GO TO HELL AND YOU DIE!

PSN: Purple-munky

Gear...
Ion - acoustic guitar.
Cort KX1Q - i smashed it
Fender Super Champ XD 15w
Stagg G-310 - i smashed it.
my fingers are pretty fat too and I had problems at first but i figured a way and so will u if yours arent REALLY fat
Quote by stallyonuk
i'm not ashamed to admit but i used to be a big guy...i still am but not as big as what i once was. unfortunately tho, my big weight loss has resulted in my fingertips being fleshy...especially on the pads (where my finger prints are).

this causes them to catch on the string below the one i'm pressing down and causes it to rasp or thuds the sound...this is awful for when playing chords...

are there guitars for "fatter-fingered" guys or do i need to do something with my fingers?

you just need to find a way to put your fingers on the frets properly so it doesnt touch the string below
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Fender Hot Rod Devile 4x12

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
The only way you will get around this is by practicing more. The truth is, if you have healthy hands and fingers, you can normally play guitar regardless of things like length, width etc. If I were you, I'd just keep going. You will probably develop little tricks and quirks to help you get around this.

If you really need to do something about, buy a guitar with a wider neck maybe?
Also, don't be insulted by this, but if your fingers really make guitar playing impossible, you could have a go at bass. The strings are a lot further apart and your fatter fingers will be much less of a problem.

But for the time being, just keep trying to get the chords right. May I ask how long you've been playing?
start playing a classical guitar? the necks are wider and the strings are spaced farther apart. if you'd strictly like to stay electric, just find a guitar with a wider neck, assuming your hands are sized correctly to play it comfortably.
R.I.P. Dime Bag Darrell!
member#13 of the official lindsay lohan fan club
Member #20 of the Nirvana Fan Club
It'll just take some experimenting with different ways. Also, if you recently started, it's normal for chords to sound bad with beginners, and it's not necessarily your fingers' fault. Some slim fingered people I've seen also had problems.

Just try different angles, and as a post here said, try lifting the action slightly. You'll be able to get it with time, no worries.
cheers guys for the words of wisdom...i've been playing now for about a year all self taught and started with tunes by The Shadows...i can play Apache from start to finish (although not as fast as Hank but i know this will come with practice and i hit duff notes from time to time)..i've moved on to chords and arpeggios - currently learning hey there delilah and its this i'm struggling with. my 4th finger interferes with the strings held down by my 2nd finger. obv, i just need to figure out how to position my hand to get the angle right...but i aint gonna give up
i had a guitar teacher once with literally the biggest fattest fingers i have ever seen on a human being. yours truly cannot be as fat as this guy's were. i promise you. it was like he had 4 cans of beer connected to his hand.

his open a major chord was flawless. he said he just practiced enough to where it sounded clean. --- how long have you been playing? i bet in a matter of months you won't have a problem.

EDIT: yea i would say in a few months you'll be fine. maybe less with more practice hours
Last edited by rkmad at Sep 3, 2009,
Malmsteen seems to do fine :P

but seriously look at some youtube covers, most of them are done by fat American kids and they managed to play perfectly well
Quote by stallyonuk
cheers guys for the words of wisdom...i've been playing now for about a year all self taught and started with tunes by The Shadows...i can play Apache from start to finish (although not as fast as Hank but i know this will come with practice and i hit duff notes from time to time)..i've moved on to chords and arpeggios - currently learning hey there delilah and its this i'm struggling with. my 4th finger interferes with the strings held down by my 2nd finger. obv, i just need to figure out how to position my hand to get the angle right...but i aint gonna give up

This is your problem then. If you've just started chords, they will not be clean at all yet. Stop using your finger size as an excuse and get practicing Just don't expect them to be good right away, it will take a while.
I think everyone believes that their fingers are too "big" at first, but really it's a matter of coordination and flexibility. It'll come to you soon. Don't worry.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by Darkmeteor
you definitely don't have figers too fat to play, just look at Michael Romeo : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PG2804ggsI0

symphony x ftw

his pinky control is amazing

Are you telling me theyre out of dragons?
They never had dragons..
Who didnt?
The world..
GET THIS GUY OUT OF HERE, FIND ME A DRAGON
Last edited by glenthemann at Sep 3, 2009,
Honestly, no two guitarists are the same. You'll develop some sub-conscience and unique techniques as you go along, just make sure you don't make any bad habits.
I've gotten a lot of LOLs in my time but I choose not to sig them to not look like a pretentious douchebag

Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
I think everyone believes that their fingers are too "big" at first, but really it's a matter of coordination and flexibility. It'll come to you soon. Don't worry.

Good point. I have skinny fingers, and playing high on the neck was still difficult for me with 1 finger per fret fingering for the longest time. I just didn't see how my fingers could possibly fit into such a small space. Well, much practice later, and they do fit a lot better now.

Honestly, I think having big fingers may be a slight disadvantage in some cases, but nothing that can't be overcome. Basically, you have a smaller margin for error than a guitarist with skinny fingers. You've got to get your fingers right in the sweet spot, where as a skinny fingered guitarist can be off slightly from the perfect finger placement and still be ok. So you may have to work a bit harder to get that accuracy. But here's the good news, the dexterity and co-ordination you develop to get that accuracy isn't just used to make sure that you don't accidentally fret another string - it affects all of your playing in a positive way.
i went to a ratt/extreme concert, the opening band for it was a band called swirl. Anyway the guitarist was a big dude, over 6foot and probabbly 250-300lbs, huge fingers, and yet he was one of the fastest i've ever seen, so the answer is no, it will make it a bit more difficult but you can still play, and with practice, play as well as anyone else

also take for example zakk wylde, big dude, fast player
Shawn Lane during his later years.

/thread.

Also, BB King. Depends on the style, but I know for a fact that Shawn Lane became huge after being put on steroids for his illness and he could still shred like no one's business. It's about technique and how you play. It's not a hinder.

also, Johnny Hiland is another example of a big guy playing a guitar.
No, you just need practice.

/thread.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
No, you just need practice.

/thread.

Thread indeed, there is no substitute for practice, there are so many threads where people forget this.
Are your fingers too fat?

No.

And notice that's a ukelele...not a full sized guitar.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
^ Lol.
Quote by razorback91
Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

Yes, its its own kind of metal, but its still metal.
Quote by 08L1V10N
^ Lol.

i pretty much died laughing as well

Are you telling me theyre out of dragons?
They never had dragons..
Who didnt?
The world..
GET THIS GUY OUT OF HERE, FIND ME A DRAGON