I've been wanting a Stratocaster for awhile now, mainly because I bought an Epi Les Paul from Guitar Center that turned out to be a lemon (thanks, dicks). The thing sounds like a tone deaf mute, quite disappointing considering Les Paul's prestigious name, but that's another story. I'll be honest and say I can't afford the American made 1,200 dollar price tag, so I've been looking at the Mexican made versions. They run around 500 dollars new, and I see that they have an HSS option. Anyone care to explain what the heck that is and maybe the positives and negatives of getting one?

And P.S. I play a LOT of classic rock. Mainly Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, Clapton, and the likes of that. However, I also play more modern stuff too, ranging from Nine Inch Nails to Tool to Queens of the Stone Age. I would like something versatile enough to nicely cover these genres, so if you have any suggestions, feel free to throw them out there. I currently have a mother%*(^(# Line 6 that kills any tone that a guitar possesses, but I'll getting a Marshall soon. Thanks guys!
HSS = Humbucker bridge then two single coils. I think that's what it's talking about. Personally I like humbuckers for everything with distortion so I think it would be a wise choice to get. However it's whatever you prefer sound wise.
the humbucker in the Strat will be useful for your classic rock needs, playing Back in Black with a single coil just doesnt sound the same

what Marshall are you thinking of getting?
Don't get an MG!

And btw, look used. You can probably get an MIA or MIJ for $500 if you look used. Much better value.

EDIT: HSS all the way for you.
From what you play I would get the HSS version. The HSS is just a Strat with a humbucker in the bridge position and a single coil in the middle and at the bridge. It will give you a heavier sound that's good for AC/DC and all that other stuff you mentioned.
So that with good courage we say, “The Lord is my helper. I will not fear. What can man do to me?”

-Hebrews 13:6
Get the HSS, more versatile.

Oh, and if the Marshall your talking about is a MG, don't bother, it won't be any better than your Spider. What's your amp budget?
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Quote by Capt_Clarkson
the humbucker in the Strat will be useful for your classic rock needs, playing Back in Black with a single coil just doesnt sound the same

what Marshall are you thinking of getting?

I'm thinking of the new Haze 40, I've played one in Guitar Center. They're pretty kickass. And I'm staying the hell away from the MG series. I've had enough of the solid state crap.
Last edited by sickstring11 at Sep 3, 2009,
Quote by sickstring11
I'm thinking of the new Haze 40, I've played one in Guitar Center. They're pretty kickass. And I'm staying the hell away from the MG series. I've had enough of the solid state crap.

Hmm... really? Flextone? Vetta? Ampeg?
Quote by mamosa
Hmm... really? Flextone? Vetta? Ampeg?

Well, at least the cheap solid state crap that Line 6 and Marshall have been dumping on us.

On that note, I just really really want a tube amp.
The Hss strat is a nice guitar. Don't be confused though. The humbucker isn't going to make it sound like a Les Paul or anything like that. IMO the humbucker does help with the shrillness usually associated with the single coil in the bridge and fattens things up a bit which would be good for many classic rock songs. MIM is fine but I really recommend used. The new Fender stuff is really junky. Look for 1991-1996 era MIM or any used MIA strats and save yourself some money and get what is IMO a better guitar than any of the new stuff. I hate to say it but I recently played one of these 1200 wonders and it didn't stack up very well to a 1995 MIM I have.
Yes to tube amp fo sho. a strat and a good class A amp are the best.
Last edited by fretz86 at Sep 3, 2009,
I'll throw my noob opinion in here.

The HSS scores high in the versatility department especially if it is your only guitar and you are playing the genre you mentioned. A SSS will be more useful if you are playing in a band situation and want a solo to cut through the rythym by using the bridge p/up. There are many other pros and cons, but most folks seem to have already covered the high points nicely.

Based on the facts you listed, I think you'll be happier with the HSS.

Besides, once you buy one guitar you be back here soon enough posting questions on what you should get for your second guitar ;-)
+1 on going HSS for the tones you want. Bear in mind, plenty of manufacturers make HSS superstrats, you aren't only tied to fender.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by fretz86
The Hss strat is a nice guitar. Don't be confused though. The humbucker isn't going to make it sound like a Les Paul or anything like that. IMO the humbucker does help with the shrillness usually associated with the single coil in the bridge and fattens things up a bit which would be good for many classic rock songs. MIM is fine but I really recommend used. The new Fender stuff is really junky. Look for 1991-1996 era MIM or any used MIA strats and save yourself some money and get what is IMO a better guitar than any of the new stuff. I hate to say it but I recently played one of these 1200 wonders and it didn't stack up very well to a 1995 MIM I have.

Of course it won't sound like a Les Paul; it's a completely different design.

However, I wouldn't say a new MIM is crap stuff. If anything, they're the best guitars (IMO) in the price range. They play really nicely, they're well made, and they're cheap enough that you still have money left over to buy a new amp, or new pickups or anything like that.

And again, a valve amp isn't always the answer, although it may be good for him, if he needs even more versatility at a cheap price, he could look at a Roland Cube or Vox Valvetronix.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Hmm, surprised no one has mentioned this...

You said yourself that you "have an amp that sucks the tone out of any guitar"....

Perhaps the problem was not with your Epiphone Les Paul....

Before you trade it in and buy a new guitar....
Take that guitar into a Shop and plug it into a real amp, Say a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe....

In other words, maybe you should consider upgrading your amp, not your guitar...
If you get a Strat HSS, you may find the same "tone sucking" problem when you get that one home too..

Edit...
Can't believe I'm trying to talk someone out of trading a LP for a Strat....I'm a diehard strat fan..But I just don't want you to be dissapointed if the problem is actually with your amp, and not the guitar...

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
Last edited by jonmo1 at Sep 3, 2009,
HSS is going to be more versatile, but frankly I can't stand HSS if it doesn't have coil-splitting since the mid-bridge position is my favourite on a strat. HSS sounds like it'll suit everything well except Clapton, who's one of the more famous mid-bridge users. Just get a coil-split installed though and it'll work.

That being said though, I second Jonmo, try various amps and get the Les Paul set up before getting rid of it.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-84
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-1
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 32-15
I third Jonmo.

Also,
Quote by sickstring11
Well, at least the cheap solid state crap that Line 6 and Marshall have been dumping on us.

On that note, I just really really want a tube amp.

Well...Marshall USED to make some really good SS amps (The old Valvestates were really nice amps). And Line 6 makes really good stuff, except for the spider. Case in point: Line 6 Vetta II. But otherwise, yeah, I agree. They've been dumping their "rejected" amp designs on the low end market.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
good point about the amp, jonmo, I missed that
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by oneblackened
I third Jonmo.

Also,
Well...Marshall USED to make some really good SS amps (The old Valvestates were really nice amps). And Line 6 makes really good stuff, except for the spider. Case in point: Line 6 Vetta II. But otherwise, yeah, I agree. They've been dumping their "rejected" amp designs on the low end market.

Don't forget the Mosfets form the 80's.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-84
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-1
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 32-15
I have to jump on this topic too, I am crazy about strats. Since I'm no pro I figured I'd start with Mexican made. I've found a mint 08 HSS one locally. I've been told you get more tonal range out of 3 single coil pickups. Any tips on which I should get? I'm a huge clapton, eagles, beatles, blink 182, zeppelin fan many more. Should I get the HSS one, It's only 250$ and it's in great condition. Also comes with gig bag and hardshell case.
i don't think you get more tonal range, you get a different tonal range. it just depends on what you want. if you want a vintage strat sound, go SSS, if you want most of the strat sounds but with the ability to get rockier, go HSS. For most of the bands you listed, I'd go SSS, but blink and possibly led zep might benefit from the humbucker. it's your call, really.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Ya not sure, maybe I'll get the HSS for now, just because if me and a friend do start a band it'll be punk rock.
Quote by fretz86

+1, yes, do try and get the MIMs from the 90's because the pickups are alot better
I'm stuck with a 2009 one but it suits me perfectly lol
2009 (Used, w/ Tex Mex pups ) MIM Strat
Peavey Vypyr 15w
Is AASing for Blackstar HT-5 head and speaker
Is GASing for Kramer Striker Custom w/o FR
I.. AM.. THE.....THREADKILLER!
Quote by necrosis1193
Don't forget the Mosfets form the 80's.

Those too.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by jmeyer1022
I have to jump on this topic too, I am crazy about strats. Since I'm no pro I figured I'd start with Mexican made. I've found a mint 08 HSS one locally. I've been told you get more tonal range out of 3 single coil pickups. Any tips on which I should get? I'm a huge clapton, eagles, beatles, blink 182, zeppelin fan many more. Should I get the HSS one, It's only 250$ and it's in great condition. Also comes with gig bag and hardshell case.

I believe this is the part where you start a new forum? Rather than detract from the one thats already going?
in response to everyone else, I've considered that the amp may just be the issue, which is somewhat correct. My spider buzzes like effing crazy on its "crunch" channel, which is the main one that i use. The B string on my Les Paul is never, ever anywhere close to acceptable intonation. All of the strings are like that, but the B is the worst. It's very twangy sounding in comparison to the rest. I've set the intonation perfectly on the 12th fret, but then all of the other frets are either sharp or flat. I've given up on the LP after a year of fine tuning it without result. I've played an HSS and an LP Ultra II on a Haze 40, and I'm really quite fond of the Ultra II, but that HSS keeps popping back into my head. Plus its a little cheaper. But that battle is a personal one that I'm going to have to fight out myself for awhile. But before I get rid of my LP, I'll take all of your advice and get it checked out by a professional before I axe it.