After a year of playing guitar on a £50 guitar/amp set from ASDA (seriously) I'm nearing the money for some new gear. Main problems are that I don't really know what I'm looking for (particulary in an amp) and that my local music shop is ****.

I'm looking for an amp for practice at home and possibly for band practice, so maybe 30/50 watts? In built effects don't really appeal because I have my eye on a Boss ME-70.

With a guitar I'm looking for something for an intermediate player. I've been looking at an Epiphone SG G400 so I would like some opinions on that too. Soundwise I play a lot of Muse and Radiohead.

I'm looking at ~£200 for an amp and £300 to £500 for the guitar. But I'm willing to stray from those amounts if I feel it's worth it.

Don't be afraid to ask other questions if needed. Thanks to anyone that attempts to help me. =P
part of the wal-mart family....goodnight g'night marketing..night retail...

what genre/s?

tube or SS?

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

Generally alt-rock.

I don't know what would be best for me as I know barely anything about amps.
For home and band practice you could do worse than a Roland Cube 30w SS amp. Not enough for gigging but great value.
Look at www.tcellisguitars.co.uk He has some SG type from time to time (he builds batches) and a great deal on Les Paul style right now for £299 (shhhh don't say it out loud or there'll be a rush.) He's going to build my new baby next year.
Then there's Vintage brand who have LPs and SGs (among others) at good prices. Look especially at the Icon Lemon Drop if you have a blues craving.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

im getting a Vintage V100 around xmas time, they really are great guitars, and the V100 at reidys home of music (UK) is less than £200.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Boss EQ

That amp sounds really good. Looked at the reviews on this site and they were all positive.

Not sure I want to touch that website though, looks really unreliable.
Quote by Silver-spear94

+1

Look into a Hayden Mofo, I think it's in your budget... would be the best thing you could do as far as an amp goes.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??

Epiphone Hummingbird
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Boss EQ

Quote by Silver-spear94

give me 2 weeks and I'll be playing one of those

and the V100 is awesome for the price - better than any epi you are likely to find! If you can't pull the MoFo, look at a Tiny Terror or Vox Night Train.
i think the TT and the hayden cab would be a good pair, if i was gonna buy a 112 id get the hayden.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Boss EQ

Would any of you recommend a Fender Jaguar? Seen them for like £650 which is a possibility. I'm looking at a guitar that will last me a while you see.
my RG was £430, but im still GASing for a V100

MiM fenders tend to be terrible, unless its a USA jag i wouldnt bother.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Boss EQ