Is it even possible to play muted strings with any kind of gain or distortion? I try to do it and I just get a weak harmonic. But I find many songs seem to have some kind of distorted muted (not palm muted) notes and distorted chucking...
yes, example: the intro of Technical Difficulties by Racer X (Paul Gilbert)

/thread?

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
use all your fingers rested on the strings, not just one or two
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Chucking? You mean ChuNky playing mabey? I guess you're talking about that fabulous thing known as palm muting ... there are hundreds of threads on this, just use the advanced search option. Also you should check out the lessons section for this also.
"grateful is he who plays with open fingers" - Me

┌∩┐(◣_◢┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
Quote by Outside Octaves
Chucking? You mean ChuNky playing mabey? I guess you're talking about that fabulous thing known as palm muting ... there are hundreds of threads on this, just use the advanced search option. Also you should check out the lessons section for this also.

no, he's talking about the thing we all already answered, when you mute all the strings and make the scratching sound

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
oh, lmao... I can be an idiot at times... I wish I had read all the posts including the TS's origenal... oi. Good old fret-hand muting.... hehe.
"grateful is he who plays with open fingers" - Me

┌∩┐(◣_◢┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
Yes, sorry, I should've explicitly asked, "how do I do it?"

So how do I do it? I've tried putting my fingers further from the frets, but it's still too harmonic-y. I don't know, is there anything special required that's different from doing it on acoustic?

Also, when playing on clean, I also can't really get the same effect as doing it purely acoustically. What I find happens is that the note will sound more like a palm muted note (even though I'm not palm muting). Again, is there anything special I need to do?
With high gain you have to be a lot pickier with how much pressure you put on it. Different amounts of pressure give different effects when you chuck with high gain. Try it on the high frets as its easier to get the right sound, I find that doing it down low gives me a muddy chunk instead of the light scratch sound, but that may just be my guitar.
Quote by Evil_Magician
Get the pink one.

Perforation of women guaranteed.
First, use more than one finger. Most people probably use all their fingers. Don't hold the strings lighter, press them down farther so they're dampened, just make sure your last finger doesn't actually fret a note.
You could try muting it over the frets with your left and do a really light palm mute with the right. That sounds good with lots of gain.
Heavy metal!