Page 1 of 2
Ok. Im buying a half stack.

2 that have caught my eye are the line 6 spider III 150hd, as i have a spider III 75w combo, and the peavey valveking 100w.

Now, my price range id about 500 pounds. I have seen the peavy and cab for 550 and someone i know is selling the spider II 150hd with cab for 380 pounds.

Which do I get?

I am a student so cheap is good. I will be playing to "crowds" of about 100 people. My ther guitarist has a Marshall HDFX100 with matching cab, if that helps. I do like the line 6, I like the effects and that you can make custom ones. But it is solid state and the peavey is a valve.

For price vs quality. What do I go for?

Please dont immediatly say the peavey unless you have a good reason.

Also, if it helps, i have an Epiphone les paul std.

Also, does the Spider III HD150 give off alot of white noise at high volumes/gains. I dont want an amp that is going to scream at me when I turn it up.
Last edited by Poixen at Sep 3, 2009,
I find that both of them are pretty crappy. If I can chirp in, what kinds of music do you play?
Crate do a head/cab combo for about £280. And it's pretty good, 3 channel, built-in effects, etc. It's like a GLX/GTX but with a flextone which is about as close to tube as you can get for the price.
Quote by santa_man99
THANK you. I love you forever.

Quote by DrFuzz
Why are you researching for Christmas? It's only Ma- HOLY CRAP WHERE'S 2009 GONE!?!?!?

Quote by ilikepirates
You're right, that is weird. You win.
I play AC/DC, Iron Maiden, Metallica, Pink Floyd, Boston, Ozzy, Van Halen, Velvet Revolver. . . . Just alot of classic rock. What would you recomend instead, for the same price range?

Price range being: Around £500 for amp and cab?
Classic 30 and a distortion pedal mate.

or for £500, orange tiny terror and a 1x12/2x12.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

The VK will do classic rock better then the Spider III. If you want a Spider get a Spider Valve or wait for the Spider IV.

But, in all honestly, you've picked one of the worst sounding tube amps and one of the worst sounding modelling amps.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by santa_man99

Quote by DrFuzz
Why are you researching for Christmas? It's only Ma- HOLY CRAP WHERE'S 2009 GONE!?!?!?

Quote by ilikepirates
Last edited by Chikao42 at Sep 3, 2009,
so now weve got a VK, a spider III and a flexwave.

these are now nominees for the most unreliable amp trio.

no one needs 100w of power, to do anything.

get a Laney LC30.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

Its all about price tho. I would love to get a £2000 stack, but this is my first half stack so need to be reasonable with price.

I like the Spider as its a pretty good stack for £380, but the Peavey is a pretty good cheap valve amp.

Its tricky.

Have played the Peavey Winsor, which I think is the one below the VK, and it sounded awesome. What I really want is an amp that isnt gonna scream at me when i turn it up loud and apply some gain.
Get the second Crate amp then! It's tube! =]
Quote by santa_man99

Quote by DrFuzz

Quote by ilikepirates
I have the Hd150. Its fine. It has a built in noisegate so dont worry about white noise. Spider III are just hated by UGers, but 75% just jump on the bandwagon. I'm not a complete idiot, and I am an avid guitar player and I am completely satisfied by the HD150.
Last edited by Gregray88 at Sep 3, 2009,
Quote by Gregray88
I have the Hd150. Its fine. It has a built in noisegate so dont worry about white noise. Spider III are just hated by UGers, but 75% just jump on the bandwagon. I'm not a complete idiot, and I am an avid guitar player and I am completely satisfied by the HD150.

Brilliant responce.

Thank you!
Quote by Gregray88

We're not talking about white noise, we're talking about harsh, fizzy, undefined tone. Spider 3s have it by the bucketful.

Personally, I think OP should look at a Peavey Windsor or Classic. If OP wants a modeller, a Flextone or Vetta will wipe the floor with a Spider.

The 150 watt Spider won't even be an upgrade, it'll just be about 10% louder then the 75 watt one. If OP wants a stack just as a penile enhancement so be it, but they're not upgrading.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
I have owned nearly ever version of Line 6 amp. They do make a decent product, but I would stay away from the spiders. Try to find a used Vetta or HD147. You will be much happier in the long run.

Also consider a Flextone III XL with the extention cab.
- Anthony
PRS: PS P22, ME II 25th, SC HB I, Custom 22, McCarty 20th, SE Custom 24 7, Angulus SE
Fender Am Tele, Am Strat, 70 RI Strat, Esquire Scorpion
LTD: SC-607B

Amp
Avid 11R
Spider 3 150 watts head 100% .No questionning about that. Valve amps will never get any better than that. All the kids are saying that spiders sucks ,well i wish they would because I wouldn't need a girlfriend anymore hahaha..........Long live the spiders The slackadjuster
Quote by slackadjuster
Spider 3 150 watts head 100% .No questionning about that. Valve amps will never get any better than that. All the kids are saying that spiders sucks ,well i wish they would because I wouldn't need a girlfriend anymore hahaha..........Long live the spiders The slackadjuster

May I be the first to say, my good sir

wat.
i'm not bandwagoning or anything but i've owned a spider III for a year and it was crap. I've tried the stacks too and they were crap. Buzzy sound that isn't representative really of what real amps sound like- A tube combo would definitely be a better option like the Peavey Classic 30, which is plenty loud andd perfect if you play rock. If you play metal I would avoid the classic tbh which isn't voiced for modern metal but there are other tube combos that are out there that are much better than the spider.
My gear:
PRS SE custom
~!~--Peavey XXX super 40 EFX --~!~
Peavey VK 112

===WGS Vet30
===JJ power tubes

---Pedals:
-ISP Decimator
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Crybaby wah
-Korg Pitchblack
-Danelectro FnC EQ
Quote by slackadjuster

Personally I'd rather have a real girlfriend then a poorly emulated blowjob.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Well people don't try this at home. I dialed in ( on my spider3 ) the insane preset and played the "there is a house in new orlean " song and you know what......I almost died ,yeah yeah I'm not kidding you, and I will never do that again. So before saying anything negative on the spider be sure to be sure to use the right preset. That was the worst day of my life.
first thing roflmoa your thread says sider omg and second thing is that the peavey sounds a million times better than the line 6
Silvertone Paul Stanley SUCKS
Line 6 UX1 (Pod Farm)

COOL
well this thread is a troll thread

searchbar
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
The Valveking won't do classic rock. It just won't. It has a much more modern tone to it and if you're looking for a sharp and clear AC/DC-style crunch you won't find it with the Valveking.

The Laney that was reccomended earlier is a good suggestion; 30 watts of tube power is plenty for most situations. Another great amp for that money is the Traynor YVC50 Blue, though I'm not sure how easy they are to come by over there.

Perhaps you can find a used DSL401 like mine; you'll be satisfied with it but you'll eventually want a new speaker and you probably won't like the stock reverb very much. Also, unless you really crank it, you'll need an overdrive pedal to push the amp into high-gain lead territory. You won't get Randy Rhoads's screaming lead sound at half volume without a slight boost, for example.

One final note: I know that the MG isn't as bad as everyone says, but it will absolutely sound flat next to a cranked, quality tube amp. You should consider persuading him to buy a new amp as well.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
yea the more i think about it, both of those amps are probly not a good choice for the kind of music your playing idk thats just what i think
Silvertone Paul Stanley SUCKS
Line 6 UX1 (Pod Farm)

COOL
You may want to look ito the Spider Valve series. The 2X12 ans 1X12 models are quite nice for the price. And despite what some UG'ers might say, thier tone is very nice. They are freaing loud as sin, but that goes with the territory.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
IMO you could get a nicer combo for that price, you don't need stacks to play live, if you liked the spider you could try a flextone combo, there is a 150 2x12 watts model, which should be enough for any non stadium gigs.
Quote by STABxYOU
The VK will do classic rock better then the Spider III. If you want a Spider get a Spider Valve or wait for the Spider IV.

But, in all honestly, you've picked one of the worst sounding tube amps and one of the worst sounding modelling amps.

The Spider IV is even worse distortion wise than the III. It has better cleans but that's it. Also, +1 to the second point.

Quote by slackadjuster

Shut up n00b!
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
A Classic 30 and an OD will do you well. Getting the HD150 isn't an upgrade at all. You'd be surprised how loud the Classic 30 is too. Ignore all the people who have suggested Spiders, and take advice from the people here who have mature and developed ears. Spiders aren't bad as a practice amp, but shouldnt ever be used in a gig. The cleans are bad, and the distortion sounds extremely digital and fizzy. If you don't know what I mean, go to a local guitar store and crank a small tube amp.

edit- although the spidervalve is awesome.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
Last edited by jc349 at Sep 4, 2009,
Having owned or played most of the amps mentioned here, I keep coming back to my spider valve. The great thing about that is its versatily and the ability to wipe the floor with the regular spider series. Since the new ones will be coming out shortly, the stores are blowing out the the sv at up to %50 off. (last week I saw the combo I paid 799 for selling for $359)

Do the SVpre mod and swap the speaker and I'd put my spider valve up against any amp in the sub 1000 price range. Oh wait, I already did.
Quote by Jason43
The Valveking does classic rock just fine.

No it doesn't. Like I said easlier, put it up againt a Traynor, Marshall, Laney, or Orange amp and you'll see why. The crunch doesn't compare to the clear, bright drive of any of those amps.
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Quote by mmolteratx
The Spider IV is even worse distortion wise than the III. It has better cleans but that's it. Also, +1 to the second point.

Shut up n00b!

Dear Acnee from Taxas , why are you so upset.......
Quote by philipp122
The Valveking won't do classic rock. It just won't.
...what?
Quote by MightyAl
I took a pic of myself, cut a hole in the face and stuck my knob through so i could see what I'd look like if I got bitten by a radioactive elephant.
Quote by philipp122
No it doesn't. Like I said easlier, put it up againt a Traynor, Marshall, Laney, or Orange amp and you'll see why. The crunch doesn't compare to the clear, bright drive of any of those amps.

Well, I wouldn't expect a $500 head to compare to a $1500 head.
That's not a fair comparison at all.

But besides that point, I've had a Valveking for almost two years now and it's a decent amp, but probably not what you're looking for, tone-wise.
Look at a Classic 30 like they said before. 30 watts tube is way enough for a 100 person gig. You'll never go over 6 with a 100 watt amp. Half-stacks can be overkill at times.

And stay away from Spiders. I owned one of those once too, tone is terrible and the effects aren't anything to scream about either.
My Gear
Ibanez SR520EX with EMG 81/85 and boost
Peavey Valveking Head w/ Crate Blue Voodoo Cab
Peavey VB-2
Spector Euro 4
Boss NS-2
Boss TU-2
Quote by slackadjuster
Dear Acnee from Taxas , why are you so upset.......

It was more of a Psycho Exercises reference.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by Red989
Well, I wouldn't expect a $500 head to compare to a $1500 head.
That's not a fair comparison at all.

But besides that point, I've had a Valveking for almost two years now and it's a decent amp, but probably not what you're looking for, tone-wise.
Look at a Classic 30 like they said before. 30 watts tube is way enough for a 100 person gig. You'll never go over 6 with a 100 watt amp. Half-stacks can be overkill at times.

And stay away from Spiders. I owned one of those once too, tone is terrible and the effects aren't anything to scream about either.

Fair comparison or not, it still won't do classic rock.

I'm just being honest. Just because it has the gain for classic rock, doesn't mean it has the tone for classic rock. It's too muddy and modern-sounding. Sure, it's a great amp, and at an amazing price. However, if we're talking Zeppelin and Rush, the Valveking shouldn't even be in the picture.

EDIT: And I wasn't putting it up against any $1,500 head. A Traynor YCV50Blue can be found used for $600. A JCM2000 head or combo can be found for $600 used. Or, sizing down, you can find a Tiny Terror head for that price new. Each and every one of these will easily out-perform the Valveking in achieving 70's rock tones such as AC/DC, Rush, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, etc.
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Last edited by philipp122 at Sep 10, 2009,
Quote by Silver-spear94
or for £500, orange tiny terror and a 1x12/2x12.

I thought this was a good suggestion, especially since the dude's in UK.

Alternatively, the Tiny Terror combo'd be great.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
I think a bloo voodoo bosted for about $350 would be best.
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
Quote by slackadjuster
Well people don't try this at home. I dialed in ( on my spider3 ) the insane preset and played the "there is a house in new orlean " song and you know what......I almost died ,yeah yeah I'm not kidding you, and I will never do that again. So before saying anything negative on the spider be sure to be sure to use the right preset. That was the worst day of my life.

How the hell can you not know "House of the Rising Sun"?
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Page 1 of 2