Ok, fellas! This is my first ever visit to the Ultimate Guitar Forum, although I've been regular visitor of the site and I need a little help!!!!
I'm planning to buy Vintage V100 which is Les Paul copy.
I've tried it on Fender Blues Deluxe amp and it sounded magnificent. Fender Blues Deluxe has very good clean even crunchy sound but it has crappy or even doesn't have drive at all. My opinion is that I would have to put some good drive pedal on it (like ProCo Rat, MXR Distortion, BOSS DS1, DS2 or even MZ2) to test overdrive properly.
I think that Wilkinson pups aren't bad at all because it has very fat clean sound.
But that's beside the point because I'm planning, if I buy the guitar, as soon as posible to replace the Wilkinson humbuckers with Seymour Duncan APH-1b on bridge and Seymour Duncan APH-1n on neck position, because I believe that these very good Alnico II pro pickups are very good to get blues, rock, hard-rock or even trashy sound which is what I'm going for.

So finally my question is??? ::
Do you think this will be a good thing to do to get the sound that I want?. because this will be a lot cheaper to do than to buy Gibson Les Paul Custom with '59 pickups!!!

Write your opinions and what would you do but don't go out of the price range!
Thank you very much for all things you're going to write!!!

P.S. - Sorry if I've done some writing errors because I'm not American or English. I'm a guy from Croatia who thinks that his English is not too bad!!!!Buying Vintage V100
A generation of permanent cripples...
failed seekers...
who never understood the essential old-mystic fallacy of the acid culture:
the desperate assumption that somebody...
or at least some force...
is tending the light at the end of the tunnel.
Last edited by Dr. Raoul Duke at Sep 3, 2009,
I wouldn't say that Alnico 2s would give that overdriven tone; they give kinda the opposite. They're low output pickups, so yeah. The Wilkinsons on the other hand are Alnico 5s, and while they may not be the pickups with the most output, they're crunchier than the Duncans. Fenders aren't exactly known for their overdrive either.

Try the guitar with your amp if you can. If you love the feel and the sound, but want a bit more overdrive, then go ahead, get an OD pedal, there isn't anything wrong with it. I've got the same guitar, and I've only had to use an overdrive on lower volumes.

Nice choice of guitar by the way.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Go for it!

Alot of people say that the Vintage v100 has a better build quality than the epiphone les pauls. I'm looking for one of these myself,second hand, as a little project.
It was my first non-second hand guitar purchase. It's a very good guitar for the price. Nearly equal in build quality to your basic Epiphone and somewhat better in sound quality, with about half the price tag. The stock pups were very nice. Great for blues, hard-rock, classic rock etc. Not great for metal but managed it quite adequately with a high gain amp or pedal. As for the pickups you're proposing to swap into it I don't know too much about them, but I believe Alnico II gives a nice warm tone and is possibly what's already used in the stock pickups.
When altitude dropping, my ears started popping. One more red nightmare...
The Alnico II's picups are moderate output pickups and according to SD's home site Slash and Michael Wilton from Queensryche are using it or at least it's the equivalent pickup to use if you want that hard rock sound. Because I believe that musicians like Slash etc. use special pickups handmade by Seymour Duncan technicians!
I' will try and manage with these stock pickups and if I like them great but if not I will probably change them!1
Thank you very much for helping me!!!
A generation of permanent cripples...
failed seekers...
who never understood the essential old-mystic fallacy of the acid culture:
the desperate assumption that somebody...
or at least some force...
is tending the light at the end of the tunnel.
if the guitar sounds good to you then get one. personally if on a low budget id go for an epiphone les paul or sg but im not sure what price range the v100 is. have u looked at the tokai models? u can get a good guitar fairly cheap, the les pauls and sg's they make sound pretty good and are a low price, sg bein a couple of hundred (£ not $)