I search bar'd and got nothing, so here it goes.

I've been playing for a bit over a year now and I am very confident of my alternate picking, I pick pretty smoothly (In rhythm I can play up to 135 BPM in quarter notes, however I haven't started working on specific rhythm using my metronome since recently).

Ok, so here's what I mean by "inside" and "outside" picking. The reason I'm asking is b/c in Troy Stetina's book, "Speed Mechanics for Lead Guitar" he says that inside picking has a different feel however he didn't exactly object to it.

Here is an example of how I pick.

e I--5--7-----5--I 
B I--------6-----I 
G I--------------I 
D I--------------I 
A I--------------I 
E I--------------I 
    V   ^  ^  V

And this is outside picking and it also maintains the alternate picking motion.

e I--5--7-----5--I 
B I--------6-----I 
G I--------------I 
D I--------------I 
A I--------------I 
E I--------------I 
    V   ^  V  ^

EDIT: Basically, I pick according to where the string is from my pick but I do alternate pick and tremolo pick when the next note is on the same string. When it's on another string then I pick towards that direction.
I've gotten a lot of LOLs in my time but I choose not to sig them to not look like a pretentious douchebag

Last edited by Misticalz at Sep 3, 2009,
Your first example isn't strict alternate picking. With alternate picking you need to get comfortable with both inside and outside picking. There are some great videos on youtube with Paul Gilbert talking about alt. picking, referring to both inside and outside picking. I would find it for you, but youtube videos aren't working for me at the moment :-/
Well, my question is whether I should stick to my sub-alternate picking method. I am confident in it since I do play very smoothly and for rhythm I have done pretty well w/ it as well. However, there may be something I'm missing w/ not doing strict alternate picking.
I've gotten a lot of LOLs in my time but I choose not to sig them to not look like a pretentious douchebag

I "true" alt pick almost all the time, but every now and then i use economy picking on certain parts because its easier that way. i dunno if thats what you're talking about, tho. But just pick whichever way is easiest for you. Dont make your style based solely on how the "technique perfectionists" say it should be.

Then again, technique perfectionists usually are spot-on players, so find a balance of doing things their way and your way combined.
What you are doing seems to be economy picking. Using the easiest way to the next string right? So if the next string is above your current string, then pick up? This works for lots of people, and is generally faster (economy of motion) I think it just depends which you prefer, like I prefer alt picking, as it comes more natural to me, and economy picking confuses me lol I think alt picking also gives a more consistent sound (as downpicks and up picks can sound different)
I'm tired and confused. So don't quote me lol
Quote by Pernell
I "true" alt pick almost all the time, but every now and then i use economy picking on certain parts because its easier that way. i dunno if thats what you're talking about, tho. But just pick whichever way is easiest for you. Dont make your style based solely on how the "technique perfectionists" say it should be.

Then again, technique perfectionists usually are spot-on players, so find a balance of doing things their way and your way combined.

I just looked up economy picking (I knew about it just didn't know what it exactly was) and yeah, that's exactly it. I sorta alternate pick until I change strings in which I do a small "sweep" or so motion.

Quote by NecroMaster
What you are doing seems to be economy picking. Using the easiest way to the next string right? So if the next string is above your current string, then pick up? This works for lots of people, and is generally faster (economy of motion) I think it just depends which you prefer, like I prefer alt picking, as it comes more natural to me, and economy picking confuses me lol I think alt picking also gives a more consistent sound (as downpicks and up picks can sound different)
I'm tired and confused. So don't quote me lol

For lulz.

economy is just replacing picking to inside of two strings with sweeping. if you do 'pure economy', the you are only sweeping to the other string, and not even picking to the outside. you usually can't get rid of outside picking unless you rearrange the notes, but you can always get rid of inside picking by sweeping, unfortunately if you alternate between two notes that are on two different strings, you have to inside or outside pick, unless you hybrid pick lol. paul gilbert: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6MoEzPHFq4

inside and outside picking are what hold you back in alternate picking, compared to when you're alternate picking on the same string, which is why people replace insdie picking with sweeping, and rearrange songs so that they don't have to skip strings at all. However, you should still really work on inside and outside picking because it will make your playing better even when you're not crossing strings.

I've found that circular picking helps with crossing strings. Learning to do it will make you better even when you aren't doing it.
I economy pick when I go up the scales...and pure alternate going down XD
I have no idea if this is wasteful, but it's just natural to me.
Gear:
B-52 ATX-100
Mesa Oversized recto 4x12
Jackson DKMG (w/ BareKnuckle Warpigs )
Ibanez Acoustic

Feel free to add me or PM me.
Quote by eddievanzant

I've found that circular picking helps with crossing strings. Learning to do it will make you better even when you aren't doing it.

Iv actually heard the exact opposite, that you tend to be out of rythmn when you swap strings
well for me, at first, it was pretty hard to learn to circle pick at all, and it's hard to get a steady down up rhythm on even one string when you start - it sounds like it's swinging but not on purpose - but if you get good at something that challenges your rhythm, your rhythm gets better. Circle picking also improves your efficiency of motion, which is the most important thing when it comes to crossing strings. Everyone always suggests to work on your efficiency of motion but never actually tell you how. Learning how to circle pick is something that will help. My circle picking tends to look more like a pendulum, and because of that I don't even really cross strings. I just change strings.
Why limit yourself? Learn to alt pick using both inside and outside picking, and learn to economy pick. All are valid and all have their uses.
I never heard of circle picking, explain please?

Quote by zhilla
Why limit yourself? Learn to alt pick using both inside and outside picking, and learn to economy pick. All are valid and all have their uses.

Honestly, I feel like economy picking works very well for me in versatility. It's very smooth for me and when improvising I feel more power over my licks and melodies, I skip strings, all that. However, I am asking whether I should stop economy picking and learning to alternate pick, or should I just learn alternate picking but keep economy picking.

Everything you do should be because you want a certain sound. You can play the same notes with economy, alternate starting on an up or downstroke, using all up or down strokes, or using legato, and the same notes will sound different because you're using a different technique. Use the technique that will give you the sound you're looking for.
Quote by eddievanzant
Everything you do should be because you want a certain sound. You can play the same notes with economy, alternate starting on an up or downstroke, using all up or down strokes, or using legato, and the same notes will sound different because you're using a different technique. Use the technique that will give you the sound you're looking for.

Il give you a +1 for that. But as a beginner i think he should learn alternate picking. Iv seen lots of beginners with terrible timing because when they swap strings with economy picking they go too fast because its an easier part to do fast. And beginners usually try to play as fast as they can cause thats whats 'cool'.
Quote by Elden G20
Il give you a +1 for that. But as a beginner i think he should learn alternate picking. Iv seen lots of beginners with terrible timing because when they swap strings with economy picking they go too fast because its an easier part to do fast. And beginners usually try to play as fast as they can cause thats whats 'cool'.

Nah, that's not me. It used to be me when I thought I was awesome for improvising the same **** on the Pentatonic scale but now I'm much more rhythmically better and I don't play fast b/c I just want to seem cool. I can stick to a tempo and note values.

Honestly, as much as I appreciate the use of economy picking, I tend to classify that "technique" as mainly being useful with experienced guitarists. As has been mentioned above, economy picking tends to get messy and very undefined easily. Not that alternate picking can't also get messy, but IMO alternate is a more solid foundation to INITIALLY base your playing off of. As you gain knowledge about the reasonings behind different techniques, what the different sounds/articulations you get out of each, then definitely broaden your abilities.

Again, both are useful, and I'm not condemning economy, but I feel that it's more important to get down strict alternate picking first. Learn both if you'd like, but beginners tend to thrive on simplicity.
thats economic picking rite??

well my teacher said that i pick like that... and he said its better if I can do alternate picking... the reason is because it can produce better and clearer note from it??

that is where I stop my lesson...