Page 1 of 2
My first halfstack was the crate flexwave, $500, I like the distortion for a straight plug in head and it's loud, but the one I bought had manufactering errors and is in the shop for a couple months T_T

My friend borrowed a Marshall mg100hdfx halfstack (About 5 or 6 hundred something), and I figured out a way to set the gain on the distortion channel and run my pedals through it, and it sounded so sexy, I jizzed my pants everytime I played.
So my next amp I wish to posses is this Marshall, and get an extra cab and have a fullstack, and get another crate cab and have a fullstack with that, I don't know why, but I think having a Crate fullstack and Marshall fullstack onstage would look metal lol

Maybe I'm having a midlife crisis at 18.....
Gallien Krueger is awesome
you dont want an MG. if you think it sounds good now, you may want to try some of the Marshall tube amps or other tube amps in general.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
run while you can. you wont get much love here for anything you just said.

but whatever, you like what you like and whats anyone gonna do about it?

other than that, cool story, bro.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Dr. Z Stangray
G&L ASAT Classic (Ron Kirn Custom T-Style coming soon! ronkirn.com)
Keeley 4 Knob Compressor
Taylor 314ce
A full stack would be under-powered with a solid state head. Your best bet for anything is a tube amp, even a 2x12 cabinet is loud as all hell with tubes pushing it.
I can't afford tubes lol, that might be why I like cheap heads :P
I actually wouldn't run the solid stage marshall through a full stack, I just like the look. I could probably buy an empty bottom cab for like $40 or less to get that though.
The reason I like the head is because its the only head i've found a really nice sound on with certain settings.
you like/dislike a piece of gear based on price? you know, you get what you pay for. but like i said...ya like what ya like

Dr. Z Stangray
Keeley 4 Knob Compressor
Taylor 314ce
Quote by PinK FLoYd152
A full stack would be under-powered with a solid state head. Your best bet for anything is a tube amp, even a 2x12 cabinet is loud as all hell with tubes pushing it.

Tell that to an Ampeg VH-140C/Crate GX-130.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
no

really, no. Not ideal, you need to either get out and try more amps or your ear is not developed enough. And Tbh if you are considering paying 300$+ for an extra and highly unnecessary cab just for the look you have some growing up to do. Music is about expression and sounding good; youre in it for the wrong reasons if you want to look cool.

If i knew your budget and style of music i could give you better suggestions. I own a peavey xxx and imo it sounds like deliciousness and i would highly suggest for pretty much any genre. Used the heads go for ~500-600
My gear:
PRS SE custom
~!~--Peavey XXX super 40 EFX --~!~
Peavey VK 112

===WGS Vet30
===JJ power tubes

---Pedals:
-ISP Decimator
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Crybaby wah
-Korg Pitchblack
-Danelectro FnC EQ
Nowadays, there are plenty of tube amps for cheap, both new and used. Don't give up yet.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
The grass, in this case, is actually cleaner on the other side. Check out a peavey VTM or Sovtek MIG for a JCM-800 copy, try boosting it with a footswitch, and it will sound really cool. If you buy another budget stack, I am going to laugh at you. Seriously, I will go to your gigs just to laugh.

Not to say you don't like your sound, and that full stacks don't look cool. But what is more important, a full stack of crap, or a 2x12 combo of tonal bliss?
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
there isnt enough flaming in here!
mgs sound like a beehive that got cocain dust poured into it
dont get it or you will be a poon

but seriously if you kow whats good for you you need to save up and buy a better head. it doesnt have to be tube, but it should at least be good
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Last edited by Holy-Diver at Sep 3, 2009,
b ut it should at least be good at least

'nuff said

EDIT: damn fixed it before I got in there lol. ninja spell/grammer check ftw^ I concede

Dr. Z Stangray
Keeley 4 Knob Compressor
Taylor 314ce
Last edited by Bright Light at Sep 3, 2009,
Quote by Bright Light
'nuff said

EDIT: damn fixed it before I got in there lol. ninja spell/grammer check ftw^ I concede

haha i caught it as soon as i reread it
im not the best at typing
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
The new Marshall Haze amps seem pretty cool, though I've never played through one. They're low wattage but all valve and under $1,000. Bugera makes affordable tube amps too, I've got a 6262 myself and I'm pretty happy with it.
Quote by Holy-Diver
haha i caught it as soon as i reread it
im not the best at typing

happens to the best of us

I love how much this conversation has to do with getting a half deaf person to not buy an MG Fullstack lol. TS, for 5-6 hundred dollars there are better options. Dont get an amp based on looks alone, please. if you're into metal then for that budget the B-52 comes to mind instantly.

Dr. Z Stangray
Keeley 4 Knob Compressor
Taylor 314ce
having full stacks looks sexy yes but after awhile carrying around all that gear just gets annoying (and needlessly expensive). 1 half stack is good enough for sound/volume and still looks hot.

i personally like crate amps, the newer flexwaves have some reliability issues but older crate SS's that were made in the USA sound very good and are of good quality.

if you like the MG then don't be afraid to use it, even if people tell you it sucks. if you like it its all that matters. (although your ear could change later on and you may start to hate it, but y'never know)

nothing wrong with playing SS amps at all. a number of popular musicians use SS/Digital amps. yes they are a lil easier to deal with and generally cheaper as well so do what you feel comfortable with and don't feel pressured to do anything you don't want to!

again i would suggest that you don't buy extra cabinets merely for the look especially since you mentioned being on a budget.
Last edited by AkiraSpectrum at Sep 3, 2009,
If you can afford the MG (and even the fullstack) than you can over tubes.

B-52's, Bugera, are way better options new, and look used to save money.
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by DaddyBarbs
no

really, no. Not ideal, you need to either get out and try more amps or your ear is not developed enough. And Tbh if you are considering paying 300$+ for an extra and highly unnecessary cab just for the look you have some growing up to do. Music is about expression and sounding good; youre in it for the wrong reasons if you want to look cool.

Yea, I like to look cool =)
But in all seriousness, I actually like the head, and it's a whole halfstack that costs less than 1 tube head and I actually like it with the way I set it up. Maybe the sound I like isn't the type of sound you like? I could careless what someone else says about how it sounds and how they don't like it, I like it, so screw you

and the cabs are like 200 something? where did you see them for over 300 lol.
I actually am only going to get it as a halfstack, not going to buy a useless cab because I want to look cool, I'm not that stupid lol. You people can't take sarcasm on these forums :P
well a bunch of bands use unloaded cabs onstage... so obviously its not that stupid

and what is stupid is ignoring what people who obviously know more than you about tone are telling you. the mg is a buzzboxed fail of an amp. listen to reason man!
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Quote by Holy-Diver
well a bunch of bands use unloaded cabs onstage... so obviously its not that stupid

and what is stupid is ignoring what people who obviously know more than you about tone are telling you. the mg is a buzzboxed fail of an amp. listen to reason man!

Dude, I've played it, and it was quiet as ever, even when I turned it up pretty loud. I'm not going to listen to someone when I actually heard results.

Why doesn't anyone get me likey it more than other amps so why can't I be allowed to say I want it :P
Its like telling a grown man he can't have a cookie because you don't like cookies.
except you dont know sh*t yet and you will regret it. plus, everyone likes a good cookie
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Quote by lionslicer9999
Yea, I like to look cool =)
But in all seriousness, I actually like the head, and it's a whole halfstack that costs less than 1 tube head and I actually like it with the way I set it up. Maybe the sound I like isn't the type of sound you like? I could careless what someone else says about how it sounds and how they don't like it, I like it, so screw you

and the cabs are like 200 something? where did you see them for over 300 lol.
I actually am only going to get it as a halfstack, not going to buy a useless cab because I want to look cool, I'm not that stupid lol. You people can't take sarcasm on these forums :P

Consider this, if you will. (BTW none of this is flaming as I used to have an MG, albeit not a stack of them but an MG none-the-less) You like how the MG sounds with how you set it up, which is fair enough you like what you like. But for around the same price (IDK you're in $ I'm in £ you could get yourself a sound that you love. If you think your MG sounds nice, get a Marshall voiced/Marshall tube amp and compare the two, the difference will melt off your face. Literally. Factor in what you're spending on cabs as well and you can get yourself a very nice tube amp.

tl;dr don't spend cash on big things 'cos you initially like them, shop around find something awesome, then blow all your cash on it

Quote by lionslicer9999
Dude, I've played it, and it was quiet as ever, even when I turned it up pretty loud. I'm not going to listen to someone when I actually heard results.

Why doesn't anyone get me likey it more than other amps so why can't I be allowed to say I want it :P
Its like telling a grown man he can't have a cookie because you don't like cookies.

So why exactly did you make this thread? You have essentially made a thread about cheap amps that from experience most people on UG know to avoid and have advised you to do the same because we're nice and don't like to see people blow money away like this
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Last edited by SimplyBen at Sep 3, 2009,
Quote by SimplyBen
Consider this, if you will. (BTW none of this is flaming as I used to have an MG, albeit not a stack of them but an MG none-the-less) You like how the MG sounds with how you set it up, which is fair enough you like what you like. But for around the same price (IDK you're in $ I'm in £ you could get yourself a sound that you love. If you think your MG sounds nice, get a Marshall voiced/Marshall tube amp and compare the two, the difference will melt off your face. Literally. Factor in what you're spending on cabs as well and you can get yourself a very nice tube amp.

tl;dr don't spend cash on big things 'cos you initially like them, shop around find something awesome, then blow all your cash on it

You do understand I'm running distortion pedals through the head right? Any other head I've used, pedals don't have enough gain, and if I set the head on distortion channel, it's too noisy, I would mess with the settings forever, and couldn't get it right, but the MG is the only head i've ever used with distortion pedals that has enough gain and almost no noise or feedback.

I never got a chance to play a marshall tube head with a pedal, but I have played a couple, and I hated it :P I prefer peavey or krank, but that isn't any cheaper.

And this is kind of pissing me off now.... I'm not going to not get a head because you people don't like it or tell me not to, I had it for a good month and a half and put it to its limits, and by far is probably one of the better sounding heads around that price.
If you don't think so, then don't talk to me =)
There's no helping you, so do what you want.

Good luck, I hope you don't regret it in a few months.
Greco 59-50 Mint Collection - 1982 - Iron Gear Hot Slag/Rolling Mill
Schecter Tempest Classic Goldtop
Ceriatone 18 Watt TMB/EF86 2x12 - Lorantz Greenback's
MI Audio Blues Pro Overdrive

Quote by Danyg
^ this guy defines the term "being right".
You don't have money for a tube amp but you can waste $40 on an empty cab just for show?

Hmm..

Anyway, if you like the MG tone.... you like the tone. It's not about the music anyway, it's about the look.
guitar center, got my tube bugera 1990 half stack for less then a mg halfstack...so yes you can have a tube amp for cheap..
trust me the bugera's better, i know because i tried both amp's out for a hour and my final decision was between those two, the bugera won easily...the mg is pretty good though, no where near as bad as everyone here makes it out to be
You've gotta be a troll. No one tries this hard to defend an MG unless they're a troll.

EDIT: Also, you think pedals through an MG sound better than a real tube Marshall? You've gotta be trollin.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Last edited by mmolteratx at Sep 3, 2009,
Quote by lionslicer9999
I can't afford tubes lol, that might be why I like cheap heads :P
I actually wouldn't run the solid stage marshall through a full stack, I just like the look. I could probably buy an empty bottom cab for like $40 or less to get that though.
The reason I like the head is because its the only head i've found a really nice sound on with certain settings.

there are some very very cheap tube amps my friend example, the peavey winsor
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
Yeahhhh point of this thread? You are either lookingo piss off some great guitarists by Trollin, or you just want the my cuz it says Marshall on it....either way, you'll be back once the faulty craftmanship and worig kicks in....I say 5-8 months, or less.
Quote by 23:50 inbleach
can't i just eat the fucking cactus?

Quote by WildChicken
Go suck a cat westdyolf!

Quote by Cat Of Pain
So, West...

I hear you'll suck my cat...

Ill suck your cat
PEACE LOVE PANCAKES
call me zach

chocolate chip pancakes!
Peavey Windsor 100w half stack is $500 on MF, just put some pedals infront of it for TeH BRo0TALEZ
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
Quote by Metalfan41
Peavey Windsor 100w half stack is $500 on MF, just put some pedals infront of it for TeH BRo0TALEZ

WTF. I can't believe they raised the price again. It's nowhere near worth it now.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by mmolteratx
WTF. I can't believe they raised the price again. It's nowhere near worth it now.

****, nevermind, they only have heads right now but theyre still $399, I have no idea why I put $500
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
To answer the threads main question- Why do I like cheap halfstacks?

1. You like to look cool.
2. You probably haven't ever played a tube amp in your life.
3. Your ear isn't developed.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
Quote by jc349
To answer the threads main question- Why do I like cheap halfstacks?

1. You like to look cool.
2. You probably haven't ever played a tube amp in your life.
3. Your ear isn't developed.

this.

and i gotta disagree with the last sentence of your sig about the theory part. i know almost completely no theory. so, that means i dont play guitar? you sir, have made a false statement.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
after comparing both i can tell you that if you want a marshall cab for under or close to 200 $ .. i suggest you to take a look at the old valvestate from the 90s model 8412 cab over a new MG cab anytime .

its a 3/4 size cab pretty much like the mg .. but better construction , better sound , better reliability . its got celestion g12l speaker instead of marshall mg speaker . overall everything is better .
Bedroom rock star :

- Gibson Les paul Standard 2001 Honeyburst .
- Agile 3200 Slim
Quote by lionslicer9999
You do understand I'm running distortion pedals through the head right? Any other head I've used, pedals don't have enough gain, and if I set the head on distortion channel, it's too noisy, I would mess with the settings forever, and couldn't get it right, but the MG is the only head i've ever used with distortion pedals that has enough gain and almost no noise or feedback.

I never got a chance to play a marshall tube head with a pedal, but I have played a couple, and I hated it :P I prefer peavey or krank, but that isn't any cheaper.

And this is kind of pissing me off now.... I'm not going to not get a head because you people don't like it or tell me not to, I had it for a good month and a half and put it to its limits, and by far is probably one of the better sounding heads around that price.
If you don't think so, then don't talk to me =)
Lol, this is rediculous. People are going to share their opinions, whether it makes you sad or not. My roommate had a Marshall MG half-stack, and I thought it was cool, 4x12 gives you some balls (he has an old Gibson cabinet). Then I realised that that silly cab was his tone, and that the amp itself doesn't even have that great of a clean channel, which is what everyone uses them for anyways.

I play this old Sunn a few weeks ago. THAT is a clean channel!
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Page 1 of 2