Okay, guys. So I've got some stuff I need your advice on, so bear with me for a sec.

The band I'm in is formed of four people at the moment.

Me- Guitar, Vocals
David - Guitar
Nick- Bass, Vocals
Moritz- Drums

We have our first show coming up on October 10th, and we need to be able to play a 30 minute setlist. We've got about twenty or more minutes at the moment, but we're writing so much right now that we'll be ready by the time we have to play.

Except for one problem.

David is very uncooperative. It's tough to get him to do a practice, and once he's at the practice, he won't play the parts I've written (because he won't write anything), and he just fiddles around doing his own thing to the new songs, because his ego gets in the way, and makes it so he can't bear to hear me play a solo instead of him.

That's another thing. The ego. It gets in the way of our practices, and he's bothered by the slightest advice any of us give him.

Normally, we'd just kick him out, most likely. But he's also been a great friend since we were 11, and I'd feel bad kicking him out.

TL;DR: I'm just worried that we won't, as a band, be ready for the show if he's holding us back. We've talked to him about this stuff before and he just isn't changing, but I'd feel terrible kicking out a good friend.
ok, yeah. my name is silly because I signed up when I was 13.

BEDBUGS
Kick him out. If he's a true friend, he'll get over it.
'64 Fender Telecaster
'08 Epiphone Prophecy EM-2
'06 Epiphone Les Paul-100
'08 Squier Strat Mini
'03 Ibanez AEG10
'90 Yamaha FG730S
'31 Kay Archkraft
Quote by jsaatsaz
Kick him out. If he's a true friend, he'll get over it.

It can be very tough dealing with good friends in bands, as any musical issues will have personal issues bought into them, as TS's post did.
Seriously, just tell him he needs to co-operate with the group, simply say that you have a gig coming up and you need to work together so you'll be ready. As I've said before, the threat of looking like an idiot on stage makes anyone work harder.

If he won't even take advice, and thinks he's too good for you, which is what I got from this, then either do as I said above and try and know him down a few pegs, or just throw him out. People like this usually never change no matter how many threats, warnings or late night arguments you try.
It just depends whether the band is more important to you than your friendship. If the band is more important, can him.
Quote by koslack
How many of these threads do we need until people get it? If you care more about the friendship than being in a ****ty band, don't kick him out. If you don't want to suck, kick him out.

This should be written in massive letters at the top of the Bandleading forum, it would render most threads pointless.
Quote by koslack
How many of these threads do we need until people get it? If you care more about the friendship than being in a ****ty band, don't kick him out. If you don't want to suck, kick him out.

Indeed. I bet I could write a sticky that would address all questions asked and to be asked on this forum.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
No one is going to take you seriously unless you take yourself seriously.

Not sure who originally said that, but my dad is always telling me this. You haveto give him an ultimatum and then stick to it. Tell him AFTER your show that unless his contribution and dedication improve you'll have to replace him.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, give a man a guitar and he will grow an ego the size of a country.
Basses:
Custom on order
Fender Jazz bass
80's Fender JV P/J
MusicMan SUB Stingray
SX P bass
Yamaha RBX170
Custom Fretless
No brand Stingray

Amps:
Ampeg SVT 5 PRO
Ashdown Superfly
Ashdown Perfect Ten Minirig
Ashdown ABM 4 X10 and 1 X 15
Quote by waynepunkdude
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, give a man a guitar and he will grow an ego the size of a country.

heheheeee!
i like this.
Quote by AlanHB
Indeed. I bet I could write a sticky that would address all questions asked and to be asked on this forum.

Why don't you
Quote by craig-sansum
+10000000000000000000000000000000000

Quote by Sanitarium91
Liking the cosmic toad vocals is a sign of exquisite taste, so good on you!
Touche
Quote by craig-sansum
+10000000000000000000000000000000000

Quote by Sanitarium91
Liking the cosmic toad vocals is a sign of exquisite taste, so good on you!
Quote by Wretched_Spawn
Why don't you

then we wouldn't need this forum...
but no bandleading forum, means theres les of slacker's stories...
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
Quote by waynepunkdude

Puttin this in my profile.
Quote by Wretched_Spawn
Why don't you

Hey I'll give it a shot - why not?
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud