My guitar teacher used to play certain chords in succession and I would just have the funnest time soloing over it.

Can someone help me learn this concept, how to do it? Whether it be explaining it or providing a link, video, w/e.

I desperately want to learn this technique so I can jam properly with my buddy.
-----
Currently using:
B.C. Rich NJ Deluxe Jr. V
B.C. Rich Revenge Warlock
Bugera 6262 212 120 Watt amp :

Coming soon:
B.C. Rich Pro X Mockingbird Hardtail
Wait, so you can improvise but don't know anything about keys? You must have an amazing ear.

Anyway, learn what the notes are (A-G#), and learn intervals (major 2nd, perfect 5th, etc), then learn the formula to build scales. If you know that stuff, know what intervals make up each chord, and know some chord progressions and cadences, you'll have a basic understanding of how it works.

EDIT:
When you're talking about playing in key though, as long as your ear is good enough you should just go with what you hear in your head. 9 times out of 10 it'll be better than random noodling with scales.
Last edited by Kenny77 at Sep 3, 2009,
Quote by TheBodomBullet
My guitar teacher used to play certain chords in succession and I would just have the funnest time soloing over it.

Can someone help me learn this concept, how to do it? Whether it be explaining it or providing a link, video, w/e.

I desperately want to learn this technique so I can jam properly with my buddy.

Wait, so first you say you had a fun time doing it (so I assume you knew how to do it) and then you say you want to learn how to do it?

Learn how keys work, what chords fit in them. If you didn't already, look up Marty Friedman's Melodic Control video.
Quote by pwrmax
Wait, so first you say you had a fun time doing it (so I assume you knew how to do it) and then you say you want to learn how to do it?

Learn how keys work, what chords fit in them. If you didn't already, look up Marty Friedman's Melodic Control video.

I don't think I worded it right.

I want to learn how to play the CHORD PROGRESSIONS for someone else so we can sort of do solo trades and whatnot. It's only easy for me to actually solo. I know nothing about the chords and progressions.
-----
Currently using:
B.C. Rich NJ Deluxe Jr. V
B.C. Rich Revenge Warlock
Bugera 6262 212 120 Watt amp :

Coming soon:
B.C. Rich Pro X Mockingbird Hardtail
So you're playing a solo with no chord progressions underneath it with your teacher?

If you're soloing yourself in those cases, do you know what scale or what notes you're using while playing?
I'm sure he means that,
His teacher is playing chord progressions that he is solo'ing over.

And he wants to learn how to play certain chords in a key ?
Tis a victim of Guitar Hero. Learning how to solo and never learning how to play chords. The limitations are revealed when you want to jam with someone else or write music.

There are probably some lessons on this site about what chords belong to what keys. In the meantime just play the chords of a song you know and take turns soloing over it.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Id recommend all of the above comments to get you started on yr quest. on a side note, I can ask you to go the evolved avo thread... where you will find short little 16 bars of various progressions to solo over... you will have to search the thread for the chords some of the fine players have used, as well as the download link which is in the first post. Not quite punting the thread, more like trying to help you with your question of how to do it.

So first up, I'd suggest you try to learn the chords within the pieces... then you can let rip over them. And I mean c'mon, what more can you ask for. Free backing tracks, short and to the point.

Besides teaching you the various keys used, you would also learn how to create 16 bar phrases or even 16 bar accompaniments (which are both valuable lessons). This will help in songwriting, as well as your ability to jam with various people.

Hope this helps
How much do you know about scales? Do you understand the Major scale in terms of notes and intervals?

If not - learn that first.

Then you can learn to harmonise the scale by stacking thirds - which will let you construct chords from the scale, and from that you can construct diatonic chord progressions