Hey y'all,

I was wondering if anyone out there has used the THD hotplates much? I'm in a typical situation, want tube tone, but need to be quiet in the apartment. Sick of SS. I'd rather just have one Twin Reverb and be done with it. I could get one of the newer low watt tubers, but the Hotplate intrigues me.

I've read the Hotplate reviews, and it seems I'm not going to get miracles - ok. I may lose some sound quality and it won't magically take a 50 watter to whisper levels. But what I'm really curious about is the line out - I keep off hours so most of the time I have to run into a SS amp that has a headphone out, then run that to a mixer. And by the Hotplates manual, you can set it to run without the speaker and use it's line out. I just haven't been able to find anything online about how well that really works. Sure, I'll lose some cab and speaker flavor, but if it sounds decent coming thru the board I can live with it.

So - anyone have experience with the Hotplates, especially running them without the speaker connected and using the line out instead? And doing that for extended periods? Is this going to pummel a tube amp and leave me changing tubes more often than my underwear?

Thanks -
what genres do you play?

the Weber MASS is better than the HotPlate IMO.
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
I don't know what you'd call it.. blues/stoner/prog with a touch of jazz? Basically, nothing too metal. But I do like my overdrive :P

Does the MASS have a line out?
Ok, looking at the Weber site, it looks like it could do the same, line out with no speaker. But the same question - is this going hurt the amp long-term?
there is a site, i think called harmony central, that has reviews on all sorts of musical equipment. I know they have reviews on all the Mass models, and they prolly have the THC Hotplate reviews somewhere on the site too. The gay thing about the site though, is that the same product could be reviewed as seperate products because the way people listed them, so just keep that in mind.
the purpose of an attenuator is to allow you to get power amp distortion at low levels. i dont mean a distorted tone, but distortion in the signal is what makes tube amps sound so good, even on a clean setting you are getting some distortion from the tubes, just the nature of tube amps. cranking the amp works the tubes harder, and therefore will need to be changed more often.
Quote by Oddhawk
there is a site, i think called harmony central, that has reviews on all sorts of musical equipment. I know they have reviews on all the Mass models, and they prolly have the THC Hotplate reviews somewhere on the site too. The gay thing about the site though, is that the same product could be reviewed as seperate products because the way people listed them, so just keep that in mind.

Yup, been going there for years, and their data is kind of a mess now.

Quote by DeanRedneck
the purpose of an attenuator is to allow you to get power amp distortion at low levels. i dont mean a distorted tone, but distortion in the signal is what makes tube amps sound so good, even on a clean setting you are getting some distortion from the tubes, just the nature of tube amps. cranking the amp works the tubes harder, and therefore will need to be changed more often.

Yup, I get that part - that's what I'm after, the power tube distortion. I'm just wondering specifically if running any attenuator without a speaker, and just using the line out, is going to accelerate tube wear even faster, or have any other bad effects on the amp.
It will sound much better running it through the line out into an SS power amp than if it were attenuated to hell and run through the cab. The MASS has the same features as the Hot Plate on some models and more on others for a better price. For a Twin, you'd need either the 150 or 200 watt model if you're planning on running it full up. Just be aware that tube life will be shorter due to them being run much harder than they normally would.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Yeah, the tubes will run out faster, but the tubes are there for you, not you for them. If you want the best tone out of the tube, you essentially have to run it hot, causing it to wear out faster. I would imagine your power tubes would be good for 8 months to a year being run through an attenuator.
I have the Hot Plate and think it does exactly what it needs to do. I never attenuate past 8dB, because like you may have read, it does start to get a bit fuzzy at 12dB and later. I really don't notice tone loss though, but I have never run my amp at almost full volumes without the attenuator, so I can't compare it. I'd recommend it from my use with it. It's built like a rock.