Page 1 of 2
What are some good rock bands that are more bass driven/dominated with less guitard in them or no guitards at all? I need some new stuff to listen to with bass more upfront but I can't seem to think of anything.... rock seems like it's all about guitar and not enough about the bass, whats with that?...... suggestions?
--Gear--

5 piece blonde sparkle Gretch drum kit

-Drummers need their own forum-
Iron Maiden songs have pretty definitive bass lines, even though they have a lot of guitar too. But the bass does stand out quite well.
RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS!!!!!!!

i mean, everyone in the band plays an equal part, but flea gets alot more attention than the bassists in other bands.

not their most rock-ish songs, but 'hard to concentrate' is an awesome bass-first song from their latest album.
Cant wait till they start doin stuff again!!!!!!!!!!
obvious answer for me would be primus.

EDIT: or maybe muse or nirvana
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
chili peppers, primus, most punk, mudvayne, rage against the machine
Rishloo, Om is a bass/drums/vocals only band ... long songs and more stoner rock but its pretty good, from what ive heard of Mew their bassist gets a good cut of their sound but ive only listened to "And the Glass-Handed Kites", Isis' bass player takes a few solos and is generally pretty awesome as well, and if your willing to look into a sludge kind of rock Irepress should sound pretty great to you aside from the distorted guitar bits the bass usually takes the lead.
"Rome wasn't built in a week"

"Yeah but when they built rome, they didnt go "hey look, there's a functional building" AND ****ING KICK IT OVER AND PISS ON THE ASHES BECAUSE THE PEASANTS WERE CRYING THAT IT WAS TOO GLORIOUS AND AWESOME."
Muse, RHCP, Rage Against the Machine, Rush, Dream Theater, Iron Maiden, Metallica (in a way), Led Zeppelin. Many more too.
Hey Rosetta
Fender '51 Precision Bass
Hofner Verythin LTD Edition Guitar in Walnut w/ Bigsby
Engelhardt ES9 Upright Bass
1968 Trayner YBA 1A MK II Amp
w/ 6x10 cabinet

www.iaminlimbo.com
Nirvana, as stated above.
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Try listening to Morphine, They have Mark sandman, who plays a 2 string slide bass as their bassist. It's pretty cool.
Fishbone is a good early ska band with a fast slap bassist.
Kings of Leon, I recommend listening to their album 'Because of the times' first.
Phish, don't listen to their studio stuff. My favorite is their album Vegas 96', Les Claypool plays for a part of the show with them.
[Edit] How did I forget, check out Umphrey's Mcgee. It's an awesome prog/jam band, their bassist is Ryan Stasik. You can actually download some of their shows here for free http://www.archive.org/details/um2004-02-07.shnf
Last edited by alirazz at Sep 4, 2009,
Rage Against the Machine, Cream, Cold War Kids (especially their single something is not right with me)
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Yes Primus is very bass driven. Also, there are quite a few Red Hot Chili Peppers songs that are lot more bass driven with the guitar playing rhythm. For example "Me and My Friends" and "Aeroplane"
Quote by rabidguitarist
You have to wrap the fabric widthways around your body, and safetypin the top corners to your moustache.

Quote by m.f.k.r
Because coheed sounds like they had their balls kicked in through their ass and pulled out their mouth.
Quote by epy
Hey Rosetta

Seconded, Yes Yes Yes and Black Heart i both think are really fun bass

As well, rage against the machine are good, as stated chili peppers, some metallica and i find guns n roses bass stands out to me

Edit: added suggestions
Last edited by TexMex at Sep 4, 2009,
Quote by Andrax20
'Anti-Flag' is pretty bass oriented for a modern band

agreed especially songs like Mind the GATT,Turncoat (some of the fills are pretty nice), 1 trillion dollars is a bit slower but its bass line is sheer brilliance

Also RATM is very bass driven,Longview by Green Day is easy and is pretty much just bass cept maybe the choruses and is pretty easy to boot xd.

A few early Metallica songs are bass driven, but the best Thrash metal song with a really bass driven core has to be peace sells the intro's great on CD and 100x better live. :P
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.
Probably not your usual suggestion but I'd check out some Billy Talent. It's not bass-driven so to speak, but the bass really is a massive part of the sound and Jon Gallant is a tasteful player.
signature
Quote by higgins666
I find that Anthrax is more bass driven than alot of other thrash acts, not to mention, I love the bass intro in "Caught in a Mosh"

too right its epic espeically in a gig setting it builds up to the "mosh" which inevitably will happen

and about Billy Talent the duet with Anti-Flag called turn your back has some nice bass parts :P
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.
Quote by Bullet-Rule
Probably not your usual suggestion but I'd check out some Billy Talent. It's not bass-driven so to speak, but the bass really is a massive part of the sound and Jon Gallant is a tasteful player.

I'll agree with you there. Billy Talent would benefit a lot if they turned their bass up during recordings. Jon's one of the most solid bass players today.
KYUSS

Obviously.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
I would say Rage Against the Machine! The bass is just soo much fun to play with their stuff!
Gear List

Gibson Les Paul Standard
ESP M-II
Jackson KingV
Oscar Schmitt OE30

Orange Rockerverb 50
Marshall Mode Four

Gas List
Gibson Firebird
The steve miller band and boston
Quote by Damaged Roses
I don't really understand why basses have 24 frets, I mean, I've never seen a bassist playing more than the 12 fret.

My Gear-
Warwick Double Buck
Epiphone EB0
GK MB 210
Fender Rumble
Quote by Andrax20
I'll agree with you there. Billy Talent would benefit a lot if they turned their bass up during recordings. Jon's one of the most solid bass players today.

I have all three of their albums and I think that the bass level is pretty sufficient. Plus, his range is pretty mid-heavy so he cuts through well anyway. Nevertheless, he is a damn solid bass player.
signature
For the oldies...

Faith No More
Marillion
Police
Yes

These are all in the "how to play the bass" book.
Kyuss, and some Queens of the Stone Age...basically anything from those two with Nick Oliveri
Arcane Echo

Just call me Ethan
Primus. Nuff said.
Quote by MightyAl
A girl is a mythical creature, somewhat akin to a unicorn, or chimera.
They don't really exist, but it would be cool if they did.
Dream Theater, RATM and Rush all have pretty prominent basslines in most of their songs..also, muse, and I especially like theirs because of all the distortion and effects they utilize in their music.
If you want to try playing a bit like a guitarist, just for fun, look at Blink-182, for example, Adam's Song; palm-muted verses, volume-knob fade-ins with chords during the interludes, and the second half of each chorus is powerchords and octavechords.
Quote by proud_loser
Death From Above 1979

Enough said

This and Primus were my two suggestions. And if you like mellow Indie Rock, check out a band called Pinback. Awesome bassist
I hate my sig
Page 1 of 2