My amp (JCM 800 2203 (reissue)) had a very full sounding crunch that I would boost and get a great sounding distortion from.

But about a month ago it just started sounding very thin. The smooth sounding cruch became very icey and thin. Harsher and lacking body.

Could it just be a bad tube?

Is there a way to check visually if a tube has gone bad? Because they look fine.
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
I'm gonna call tubes. How old are your tubes? Sometimes if one of the power tubes goes bad, it'll glow a different shade but other than that (to my knowledge) you can't really tell except by the sound.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
change the tubes or your cables
if that doesnt work its busted
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Not sure how old the tubes are. But I bought the amp from guitarcenter around 6 months ago.

Not long, but amps get a lot of wear and tear in GC what with all the little monkeys flipping the amp on w/o letting it warm up.

Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
change the tubes or your cables
if that doesnt work its busted

The sound isn't completely trashed, just lost it's shimmer.

So I don't think it's broken..
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
Check the volume on your guitar, and the tubes, once i had to get my amp repaired because it was cutting out, i waited two months, for it, they said there was nothing wrong (and they changed the tubes), and when i got it back i played it in the store and i played it with a strat like mine and i said, this doesn't sound like my amp, and i checked the volume and i was like oh. Nothing been wrong with the amp since but it was cutting out alot before i sent it in, but w\e it's fine now. So check your volume and get the tubes checked, oh and try new cables.
Quote by maowcat
Check the volume on your guitar, and the tubes, once i had to get my amp repaired because it was cutting out, i waited two months, for it, they said there was nothing wrong (and they changed the tubes), and when i got it back i played it in the store and i played it with a strat like mine and i said, this doesn't sound like my amp, and i checked the volume and i was like oh. Nothing been wrong with the amp since but it was cutting out alot before i sent it in, but w\e it's fine now. So check your volume and get the tubes checked, oh and try new cables.

what do you mean check the volume? As in if it's turned up all the way? O_o
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
Could it be you need to change the 9volt in your guitar?
Daron. The Pit loves you.
daron aka kosmic is now a pit legend
Best post on the pit. Good for you.
thats pretty epic.
So you're like a slower paced Forrest Gump...
Yup...
Quote by touji-za-nai
what do you mean check the volume? As in if it's turned up all the way? O_o

Check the volume on your guitar, it drastically change the tone and gain and it can be easily missed lol, i almost never touch the volume knob on my guitar.
Quote by kosmic
Could it be you need to change the 9volt in your guitar?

It's a possibility, but I doubt it. I just changed it a few months ago. I'll give it a try anyway.

Quote by maowcat
Check the volume on your guitar, it drastically change the tone and gain and it can be easily missed lol, i almost never touch the volume knob on my guitar.

yeah, no I don't think it's the volume. I always turn it up and down when using certain pedals, so I know it's up.
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
Last edited by touji-za-nai at Sep 3, 2009,