So, I've been told I should get a JCM 800. I play mainly classic rock (Zeppelin, AC/DC, etc.) I checked them out, and they're pretty nice amps. But, what kind should I get?The single channel ones (2203, 2204) or the 2 channel ones (2205)? I'd like UGs input.

EDIT: Forget my budget. I don't really have one, as I will be saving up. Also, I will be playing smaller to medium gigs. And, I will probably buy a used one off ebay, as they are cheaper
I'll pretend I can mod your amp but break it instead.
Last edited by guitarlord28 at Sep 3, 2009,
IMO, the 2203/2204 sound better stock but the best JCM800 I've ever played was a slightly modded 2205 that belongs to my friend. For Zeppelin and AC/DC type tones, you'd be better off with other amps though. What's your budget?
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
The single channels (2203/2204) have the best tone.

Plexi's are nice too!

Just get a vintage marshall no matter what, no reissue.
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
Quote by yomoma21
if u want that sorta tone you want a plexi

Not unless he wants to reamp or is playing large gigs. I'd probably recommend an 18 watt clone since you haven't responded to budget yet TS.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

I would say a Ceriatone 18w. I think the 2203 would be great for you though
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
I'd suggest Ceriatone. the 18 watt marshall clone will be plenty loud, or a JTM 35 watt clone.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
i think Plexis and JCM 800s are ovverrated TBH. Im not biased, ive just been more impressed with other amps that are actually lower in price.

Id reccomend a peavey Classic or JSX
Quote by TheCalvinator
i think Plexis and JCM 800s are ovverrated TBH. Im not biased, ive just been more impressed with other amps that are actually lower in price.

You think that a Peavey classic is superior to a JCM800 or plexi? Are you kidding me?
Quote by al112987
You think that a Peavey classic is superior to a JCM800 or plexi? Are you kidding me?

lulz have been had. Neither of the Peaveys he suggested come close to an original JCM800, Plexi or good clone. Don't get me wrong they're good amps but those old Marshall's were fantastic and can be had for great deals, excluding your average Plexi. And even then, you can get some damn good clones for around $1000.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by TheCalvinator

true, sometimes JCM800s and Plexi's can be overrated, but a Peavey Classic? sure, it's decent for the price, but the keyword here is "decent". there's no way in hell a Classic will sound better than a Plexi or JCM800, even if tone is subjective.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
^+1 IMHO the800's and Plexis are Marshall to me. No other models even cross my mind unless I am reading mg flamage on ug.
7 string Legion 7 > 6 Do mosh pits warm your heart? Then become a SECOND RATE CITIZEN.....better than the worst!
Quote by Jhachey22

true, sometimes JCM800s and Plexi's can be overrated, but a Peavey Classic? sure, it's decent for the price, but the keyword here is "decent". there's no way in hell a Classic will sound better than a Plexi or JCM800, even if tone is subjective.
JCM800s and plexis are not really overrated in the sense that they're not as good as people say they are, at least not by those who have played them, they're great amps, but they're pushed too much by people who haven't played them a lot (or at all), thus it's easy to when people who haven't really played them mouth off about them. I agree in every sense that just about no one can legitimately argue that a Peavey Classic is better than a plexi in anyway. If any amp is overrated, it's the Classic 30. Certainly a great amp considering that you can get it for cheap, but stick it next to Fender tweeds and BFs, Marshall plexis, and AC30s and watch it get shat on.
Last edited by al112987 at Sep 4, 2009,
Quote by al112987
JCM800s and plexis are not really overrated in the sense that they're not as good as people say they are, at least not by those who have played them, they're great amps, but they're pushed too much by people who haven't played them a lot (or at all), thus it's easy to when people who haven't really played them mouth off about them. I agree in every sense that just about no one can legitimately argue that a Peavey Classic is better than a plexi in anyway.

I have an 800, they are good.

fair enough? Now then, lets have cake.
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
Quote by TheCalvinator

Lulz!!!
TS, I would rather go with a Plexi, JMP, Superbass, etc. for your needs.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Quote by TheCalvinator

A JSX?!

A most epic fail.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Splawnage?

why has there been all this talk about marshalls and no one else mentioned Splawn?
+1 to the king of hot-rodded marshall mods.

...and a plexi would be fine for gigging small venues so long as it's been tapped with a mv. would i crank it in your bedroom? prolly not.

EDIT: I'd take an early 80's JCM800 over a JSX just about any day of the week, but let's be fair. The JSX is a perfectly fine amp, just different voice. Laugh at the comparison to a classic all you want, but a JSX is quality too.
Last edited by GrisKy at Sep 4, 2009,
To me there is nothing better than an old single channel JCM800 except some boutique stuff. But I'll be honest I am definitely biased.
Quote by GrisKy
why has there been all this talk about marshalls and no one else mentioned Splawn?
+1 to the king of hot-rodded marshall mods.

...and a plexi would be fine for gigging small venues so long as it's been tapped with a mv. would i crank it in your bedroom? prolly not.

EDIT: I'd take an early 80's JCM800 over a JSX just about any day of the week, but let's be fair. The JSX is a perfectly fine amp, just different voice. Laugh at the comparison to a classic all you want, but a JSX is quality too.

So...a JCM 800 is a good amp? The 2203, 2204, or 2205? And would it be a bad thing to buy it of eBay or possibly craigslist?
I'll pretend I can mod your amp but break it instead.
2203/2204 are best, earliest models are better, later models had some design changes that some people just really don't like, they lowered the filtering and started PCB mounting more and more components.
JCM 800's are fantastic amps. The 2203/2204's are really great. As well as the non-master volume 1959 and 1987 models which are quite hard to find. Either of these amps would fit your needs superbly.
Gear:

MIA Fender Stratocaster
Jackson Kelly KE3
Ibanez Universe
Marshall JCM 800
Orange Jim Root Terror
Mesa 2x12
Ovation Custom Balladeer
pedals and such in profile
Methinks someone needs a Splawn Superstock
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional