Im not gonna be buying a new guitar for like 6-8 months, but i do wanna start getting some ideas.

At first, I thought i would go for something out of the ESP F-series, like maybe the F-400FM (700 bucks is about the price range im looking for). I love the shape and neck, and ive heard its great for metal. If not, I was thinking an Ibanez.

Heres the problem though: I very rarely have a practice session where i solely play metal. Im trying to slowly learn how to solo over jazz chords and stuff, and i play alot of stuff with clean tones and close to acoustic tones. I probably wouldnt wanna use an ESP for that

I've also noticed that the neck pickup tone on an ibanez isnt all that much better for soloing that the bridge pickup (im using an Epiphone LP Std. atm).

I don't wanna get another guitar with the les paul body shape or the strat body shape. Im also looking for 24 frets, no tremolo, and, as i said, I wanna be able to play a balance of metal and jazz-ish stuff. For about 700 bucks

The only thing i could think of that fits this is a schecter (love the neck inlays on the C-1 classic), but Im not a huge fan of the necks. So if you know any schecters with good necks, that could work too.

Any ideas?

EDIT: The main things that matter are:
Good clean and meaty distorted tones on the bridge pickup
Smooth soloing tone on bridge pickup
Decent neck (better than a les paul)
24 frets
Body Shape (not a les paul, sg, strat, or dean/bc rich shape)
Cool inlays would help
2 Humbuckers
No tremolo

I dont care too much about:
Weight
Type of humbucker or hardware parts
Fretboard radius / fretwire size

kinda picky, but lets see what you can find

EDIT2: The jazz isnt nearly as important as the metal, but i dont want a completely bad clean tone either
Last edited by sporkman7 at Sep 3, 2009,
a kelly ke3 has a jb and in the neck a jazz I'm planning on getting the crimson swirl
My Gear
Cort EVL X4
Jackson RR3 Cobalt Blue
Peavey Bandit 112
Living stone distortion pedal
Digitech RP250
There was a schecter for about 699 that had piezo pickups in it. It was semihollow, and it also had regular pickups, but i forgot what it was called. But it was strat shaped. Lol there are really no good jazzy/metaly guitars that arent les pauls or strats though... I would suggest a semihollow though
Ibanez RGA121. you can find them cheap used, and the wood finishes are REALLY nice. they've got a natural maple color, and a violin finish. amazing guitars, and a nice bridge for varied play. pickups are OK, but since you could find them for anywhere between $400 and $600 you could change pickups. they were $800 to $1000 new, but you can find some great deals on them now.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
there's no such thing as a guitar thats great for everything. If you want metal, you want high output humbuckers, which dont sound near as lush as low output when playing clean styles. When you try to get the best of both worlds you also end up with the worst of both. you're best hope is a mahogany bodied guitar with some type of med-high output pickups, stay away from actives if you want good jazz tones. Steer clear of hollow bodies for metal, you get outrageous uncontrollable feedback with high gain.
what about a prs?
do they sell any good ones under like 800 bucks?
Mikael Akerfeldt uses one, and he seems to have a good tone
Ive also heard john petrucci talking about a pieze system giving him a great acoustic tone. any ideas how that works?
Quote by DeanRedneck
there's no such thing as a guitar thats great for everything. If you want metal, you want high output humbuckers, which dont sound near as lush as low output when playing clean styles. When you try to get the best of both worlds you also end up with the worst of both. you're best hope is a mahogany bodied guitar with some type of med-high output pickups, stay away from actives if you want good jazz tones. Steer clear of hollow bodies for metal, you get outrageous uncontrollable feedback with high gain.

i dont know anything about budget prs guitars, but i never did like the offset neck shape they use on a lot of their guitars.

a piezo pickup mounts in/under the bridge. It's what many acoustic/electric guitars use, it basically changes the the vibration of the string into an electrical signal to send to an amp (thats an oversimplification) I've never played an electric guitar with one, but ive never been over pleased with the sound of an amplified acoustic with a piezo pickup. I would think that it would give a pretty decent acoustic tone out of a solidbody though
Quote by DeanRedneck
i dont know anything about budget prs guitars, but i never did like the offset neck shape they use on a lot of their guitars.

a piezo pickup mounts in/under the bridge. It's what many acoustic/electric guitars use, it basically changes the the vibration of the string into an electrical signal to send to an amp (thats an oversimplification) I've never played an electric guitar with one, but ive never been over pleased with the sound of an amplified acoustic with a piezo pickup. I would think that it would give a pretty decent acoustic tone out of a solidbody though

+1

I've been lusting after the John Petrucci BFR for a long time, so naturally I waste all my time playing it at a guitar store. It has Piezo, and I've plugged it in to alot of amps. I wouldn't say it's "authentic," acoustic tone, but it's awesome (really awesome), enough to replace my acoustic on stage.
Axes;
Ibanez S Prestige (Bubinga Top)
ESP LTD MH-103
Ibanez GiO with DiMarzio D-Activator X's!
'96(ish) Fender Stratocaster

Amps;
Mesa Boogie Road King II
Fender '65 Reissue

Joe Satriani's Group

Stop the Pick Gnomes!
Quote by JAustinMunn
+1

I've been lusting after the John Petrucci BFR for a long time, so naturally I waste all my time playing it at a guitar store. It has Piezo, and I've plugged it in to alot of amps. I wouldn't say it's "authentic," acoustic tone, but it's awesome (really awesome), enough to replace my acoustic on stage.

yea but jp sigs are hella expensive
unless i can find a good used one
i heard him play one at a show once, and i swear i thought it was an acoustic
Quote by sporkman7

i heard him play one at a show once, and i swear i thought it was an acoustic

I know, right? They're amazing.

I think it's worth the money, but Parker Fly has some models like that too, although they're not a whole lot cheaper. If you get Petrucci's old sigs, you'll face the same damage as a parker fly I think... But tonewoods and all that. I really do like Basswood, but I like his mahogony tone block a whole lot better.
Axes;
Ibanez S Prestige (Bubinga Top)
ESP LTD MH-103
Ibanez GiO with DiMarzio D-Activator X's!
'96(ish) Fender Stratocaster

Amps;
Mesa Boogie Road King II
Fender '65 Reissue

Joe Satriani's Group

Stop the Pick Gnomes!
Quote by sporkman7
The only thing i could think of that fits this is a schecter (love the neck inlays on the C-1 classic), but Im not a huge fan of the necks. So if you know any schecters with good necks, that could work too.

What specifically is your issue with the necks? Basic design or quality? I ask because I had a C1 that had a great neck compared to it's brothers on the rack, and it worked well for clean stuff too.
Quote by sporkman7
nah, dun like em
already have an epi/gibson type guitar
only 22 frets
hate the whole cable-coming-out-vertically thing

sg has a input on front
Quote by Poster_Nutbag
What specifically is your issue with the necks? Basic design or quality? I ask because I had a C1 that had a great neck compared to it's brothers on the rack, and it worked well for clean stuff too.

last time i tried one, it felt alot like my lp neck (too thick)
my perfect neck would be a music man neck. its like theyre not even there

and ^
yeah thats what i mean, it comes out vertically from the front
honestly anytime I hear someone ask for a guitar for a "weird playing range" I say Gibson SG. I see those things in every type of genre possible...
Set Up:
Guitars:
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR
ESP LTD EX-401
AMP: Peavey Vypyr Tube 60W
Sanpera Footpedal