So, I've got the correct jack to plug my guitar into an input slot. HOWEVER!

Through the amp it's just horrible distorted, even on clean.
Clean, it's quiet...and a little distorted.

Is the problem my soundcard?

Essentially, can anyone give me a rundown of what I need to properly record onto PC?
You need a USB (or Firewire) interface, or a nicer sound card that is meant to handle high inputs.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
It can depend on how high of wattage your amp is. Too high your recording would become distorted when on the clean channel. Why not try a mic and place in front of the amp? This way there wouldnt be alot of output being signalled to your pc.
Blinded by my awesomeness!
it would be the soundcard

i have the same problem

works well on my pc, but laptop is just crap...even when using just the guitar plugged in with no amp between
Peavey JSX 120 Half Stack
Mockingbird Evil Edge SE
Mockingbird Special(White)

Set sail to sea but pulled off course by the light of golden treasure --Hetfield, the Unforgiven Pirate

So I dub Thee Unforgiven Three! -How it should have been
Check the sound card's settings. I tried recording with my laptop's mic port and couldn't get it to work for ages, then I found out the mic settings were adding a boost of 20dB and "enhancing" the sound, which I think means "making it ****". Fixed those and it works fine, even with a stock sound card.
Quote by Cholas
Check the sound card's settings. I tried recording with my laptop's mic port and couldn't get it to work for ages, then I found out the mic settings were adding a boost of 20dB and "enhancing" the sound, which I think means "making it ****". Fixed those and it works fine, even with a stock sound card.

I had not thought of that. Cheers!
I assume your plugging your guitar directly into the computer?
amirite?

If so, download an ASIO driver.
Its what you need if your using your comp as an amp.
And that should fix it.

Quote by letsgocoyote
No I'm not Jesus. I would aspire to be though. I think under circumstances he would let you pay less if you needed to.
That used to be a problem of mine then I bought a £15 soundcard from eBuyer, and now it sounds absolutely amazing. (compared to what it was -_- )
Tim.

You have entered the Twilight Zone
Beyond this world strange things are known
Use this key, unlock the door
See what your fate might have in store
Come explore your dreams' creation
Enter this world of imagination