Alright. Today I decided to use a computer mic I found laying around to record something. (I want to use it just to record riff Ideas, not anything remotely higher than armature) So I plug it in and stick it to my amp, and I play a few simple riffs just to test it out. I listen to the playback and it sounds decent for a mic that wasn't even made to record music. A few seconds into the recording however, I hear this effect as if I was using a massive phase effect while playing, even though I didn't hear anything of the sort when I was actually recording it.

tl;dr: I used an mature mic to record a riff and the playback had this massive phase effect going. What the hell is going on.

I'm posting this in the pit because the riffs and recording forum seemed to be more about sharing what you've recorded rather than actual recording problems.
its noise cancellation.
turn it down or off.

you might have an audio manager in your taskbar.
look around on it, and you shouldfind stuff like 'echo cancellation' or noise or acoustic.
Last edited by qsceszxdwa at Sep 3, 2009,
Quote by qsceszxdwa
its noise cancellation.
turn it down or off.

So it's to loud and some of the overtones happen to go 180 degrees out of phase and cancel each other out? (I just started taking an audio production class)
Quote by In The Mist
So it's to loud and some of the overtones happen to go 180 degrees out of phase and cancel each other out? (I just started taking an audio production class)

thats almost always the problem. i had the exact same thing happen, and thats all i had to do to fix it, was fiddle with the cancelation settings
Speak the truth and speak 'ever
Cost it what it will
For he who hide the wrong he did
Did the wrong thing still
So would I just be able to turn the mic input down on the computer, or does the cancellation occur in the cable before the signal reaches the computer.

EDIT: Never mind, I just turned off noise cancellation and it works fine. It must have been phasing out all my overtones. Thanks for the help pit.
Last edited by In The Mist at Sep 3, 2009,
Quote by In The Mist
I'm posting this in the pit because the riffs and recording forum seemed to be more about sharing what you've recorded rather than actual recording problems.
It's for both. You should post this kind of question there, not in the Pit.

Thanks
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.