I was thinking about job titles and the respect people given them. A lot of my older relatives will say ''thank you driver'' on a bus but i cant work out if that is subconsciously a way of defining class barriers or not. I was considering serial killers as well such as Dr Harold Shipman who killed many people but still was given the respect in terms of his profession. I notice titles are used a lot more in American eg Chef Ramsay etc. where in the UK we would use that title.

What is your opinion?
Quote by wizards?
I just say thank you and have a good day... And I don't see why that would be so degrading.

this.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
i believe that we are all born deserving of respect, but the decisions and paths we take in life will either increase or decrease the respect we deserve. but of course these standards for whether someone deserves respect or not is subjective and my standards are different than others. say a person decided to drop out of college to become an artist...i would lose respect for them but that isn't to say i don't respect them. they could have +50 respect (yea i give it a numeric value) and by dropping out they have just lost 5 so they're at +45 but they're still in the positives!

however, some of you may give more respect for someone who drops of out college to pursue art and that's why i think it's all subjective

edit: just realized most of what i wrote has little to do with your main point.
anyone with or trying to get a job is good in my book. but i'll admit that i'd probably think more of the lawyer than the bus driver even though i shouldn't. many lawyers too are sleazy liars and the bus drivers on my route to school are so friggin nice it's insane.

you know what? BUS DRIVERS > LAWYERS
Quote by edge11
yeah im not at gc dude, i dont live there.

||=(|''''|''''|''''|''''|)>-----
Last edited by Wesseem at Sep 3, 2009,
I think this has been happening recently, probably with the way our society has become a consumer's culture. Thirty years ago, I guarantee no one would be rude enough to think of someone as lower or worse because of their job.

It's all the glamorization of the rich that makes us want to distance ourselves from reality. The fact that those people have jobs and are being productive with their lives is all the reason I need to respect them.

Plus, they're ****ing human beings.
Quote by RinestoneCowboy
I think this has been happening recently, probably with the way our society has become a consumer's culture. Thirty years ago, I guarantee no one would be rude enough to think of someone as lower or worse because of their job.

It's all the glamorization of the rich that makes us want to distance ourselves from reality. The fact that those people have jobs and are being productive with their lives is all the reason I need to respect them.

It's always been like that.
Quote by LPDave
and my mom then told me to masturbate more.

Quote by Toastbot

Big burly men grunting without shirts on pretty much summed up my childhood.

Quote by The Leader
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do more look like?
Quote by RinestoneCowboy

Sorry but the rich always been getting more respect then the poor, I definately don't agree with it, but thats how it's been.

Quote by RinestoneCowboy
There will always be "those guys" and douche bags, but most people were atleast polite. The fact that people don't appreciate politeness shows what a bunch of stuck up cunts the world has become.

30 years ago, most people would not treat anyone black with respect regardless of job.

go back farther and it just gets worse.
Last edited by stevve at Sep 3, 2009,
Quote by RinestoneCowboy
Respect amongst who? The middle class families from that era that I know (through parents and relatives) aren't nearly as blunt or suggestive of that. Maybe I'm talking to the wrong people.....

I dunno, but its always been that if you're poor you've obviously done something wrong (I disagree), so you don't deserve as much respect (or any depending on who you're talking to as the hard working rich (disagree).
They are incredibly used in Argentina. Especially if you're a university graduate. It's almost as if turns into a part of your name. "Doctor Sanchez", "Engineer Herrera"...
I never use them. Don't really like it.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Last edited by urik at Sep 3, 2009,