i was thinking about getting the epi valve junior stack because i hear its a pretty good amp. i want to move up to tubes and i figure its a good place to start.

i have a multi fx pedal with amp modeling so all i need is a clean amp and i play pretty much every genre.

if anything, ill mostly be just jamming with friends or playing at my church and maybe in small gigs, so is the amp loud enough for this without breaking up? i could mic it so i dont have to turn it up too loud but will that work?

i have the money and it seems like a good amp, but my main concerns are is it with it or is there something better i could get? also is it suited to my needs that i stated?

sorry for the ton of questions and thanks for any and all input.

suggetions are also greatly appreciated
^I S*** you not compadre!

Quote by Explorerpro
You Sir, Are Made Of Win.

Quote by El Hilliaro
Wow TS, this is a seriously great, original idea.

Anyway, I'm off, for some reason I have the strongest urge to listen to The Ramones.
Not the cleanest of amps, but for home practice you can get decent volume and with your pedal it should sound pretty good. Mine does with a POD XT LIve and some extras. And even jamming with friends it isn't to bad. It's when a drummer gets involved that the VJ starts to lose the battle. It does mic up fairly well, but it can be a pain also. You may want to consider a blues junior or something with a little more wattage to get into a small gig situation.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
It will break up fairly fast, and when I played one I thought it wouldn't be able to get over a drummer let alone a Church congregation.
i personally think that they sound horrible and need extensive modding to get good tone out of them.

sorry, but just my opinion
I've had one since the day there were released, so mine is a V1, but I did do a Bitmo Trio mod to it about a week ago and that made a huge difference in tonal capabilities. As previous posters have pointed out, it is not going to play all that loud without breaking up. Just not enough power.
Benford Strat x 2
Burton Strat
Burton Tele
Malden Karma
Lawrence Tele
Squier Deluxe Strat

Valve Junior/Bitmo Modded
Bugera V55HD/412H-BK
Its a very dark amp, not much clarity too it. It is plenty loud to play with drums, but not clean. For use with a multi-effects pedal like what you are talking about, I'd keep saving for a Blues Junior. Or maybe look into Blackheart.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Yeah, they are kinda lifeless while stock. I didn't think I'd ever get one until I played a nicely modded one. The VJ I bought has master volume added, 3-way push-pull on the master knob for Bright/thick/normal selection, pentode/triode selector, Voodoo transformers and premium tubes. Oh what a different amp than the stocker!...... and I still got it for under $100usd. It won't get over a drummer unless your doing smooth jazz.
7 string Legion 7 > 6 Do mosh pits warm your heart? Then become a SECOND RATE CITIZEN.....better than the worst!
Quote by miketheslut
Yeah, they are kinda lifeless while stock. I didn't think I'd ever get one until I played a nicely modded one. The VJ I bought has master volume added, 3-way push-pull on the master knob for Bright/thick/normal selection, pentode/triode selector, Voodoo transformers and premium tubes. Oh what a different amp than the stocker!...... and I still got it for under $100usd. It won't get over a drummer unless your doing smooth jazz.

That's not true at all. I played with a drummer one time with mine, and it was plenty loud, it was just really broken up. So as long as headroom is no issue it is loud enough for any genre.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
i have a 5w head, and i play it through a high wattage 4x12 (140w) so i get no speaker breakup at all, and when my EQ is used as a volume boost, i get smooth cleans but alot louder.

my amp maintains at about 2 on the volume knob in my room, any louder is too loud.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

Quote by tubetime86
That's not true at all. I played with a drummer one time with mine, and it was plenty loud, it was just really broken up. So as long as headroom is no issue it is loud enough for any genre.

I guess it depends on the drummer. It won't get over my skin-bashers.
7 string Legion 7 > 6 Do mosh pits warm your heart? Then become a SECOND RATE CITIZEN.....better than the worst!
Quote by miketheslut
I guess it depends on the drummer. It won't get over my skin-bashers.

My drummer (at the time) was loud as hell. I guess our definitions of 'passable' are different here. I could hear myself playing, and so could everyone in the room, but I would never try to gig that way. So I guess I should say it 'scraped by.'
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by miketheslut
Yeah, they are kinda lifeless while stock. I didn't think I'd ever get one until I played a nicely modded one. The VJ I bought has master volume added, 3-way push-pull on the master knob for Bright/thick/normal selection, pentode/triode selector, Voodoo transformers and premium tubes. Oh what a different amp than the stocker!...... and I still got it for under $100usd.
Unlikely you'll find one of those on CL. The head w/ cab sounds pretty good if you put pedals or a multifx in front and dial in some tone.
Quote by fly135
Unlikely you'll find one of those on CL. The head w/ cab sounds pretty good if you put pedals or a multifx in front and dial in some tone.

I got it off CL with a mia ampeg 4X12 cab loaded with eminence speakers-$80 for the head and $80 for the cab.
^We all know how you got that deal. Slut.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by miketheslut
I got it off CL with a mia ampeg 4X12 cab loaded with eminence speakers-$80 for the head and $80 for the cab.
OK, it's unlikely you'll find *2* of those on CL.
Quote by fly135
OK, it's unlikely you'll find *2* of those on CL.

I want one too, but thats to get my feet wet in electronics. Probably do that as soon as I find a job...

Honestly, I played one stock, if you don't want to play with a soldering iron, I would suggest looking elsewere.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."