I feel awful because it seems like every time i post its just to get more advice on what gear to get. And this might be a long post
That said i have a dilema. My eighteenth birthday is just around the corner and I'm receiving a $250 Guitar center gift card. I also have a nice $100 I'm actually able to spend and may be able to pull out more if I have to but i really don't want to. So in other words i have roughly $350-$400 to spend but it has to be at GC and I don't know how i should spend it. I play progressive hardcore/metal and I'm dabbling in some post-rock now too. My gear is as follows:
-Epi vj head w/crate 4x12
-Crappy les paul copy with buzzing frets
-Boss ds-1, ns-2, cs-3, and dod od

Basically Im torn between getting my les paul set up and getting a quality distortion pedal and maybe an eq or delay for the post-rock-age, or I could get a new guitar and maybe like a metal muff if i can squeeze it, or I could even buy an amp like a Blackstar or something. I could even get a vypr for practice until i can afford all quality analog stuff. Please any help would be very welcome! thanks in advance
Current Gear

PRS SE Singlecut
Eleca Japanese LP
Epi Valve Junior
A generic 4x12 cab and some assorted random pedals
Since you already have a cab, i would suggest maybe a blackstar ht-5, if you aren't satisfied with your amp's tone. If you like your amp, then i would get a new guitar.
Quote by GodofCheesecake
Excessive punctuation!!!!!!!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by dhutton
+infinity

I have infinity.
Quote by metharian
yea its way too much for my little stick lol
Last edited by sw1ss023 at Sep 3, 2009,
if you play hardcore and metal dont get the ds-1. It's not heavy enough. I have a Danelectro Blcack Coffee and its great for the post-hardcore stuff I do. It's greta for that, but a lot of people don't like it. Also I've seen in for cheaper than the ds-1.
Quote by sw1ss023
Since you already have a cab, i would suggest maybe a blackstar ht-5, if you aren't satisfied with your amp's tone. If you like your amp, then i would get a new guitar.

That's his GAS list. Quite confusing TS, I thought the same thing as well.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
haha thats just stuff im gasing for right now i gotta change that though i lost that deal on the xxx, but yeah i love the vj but the ds-1 im using for distortion sucks for higher gain stuff. Idk I'm pretty much torn on whether my guitar is usable right now or not. haha idk im so confused
Current Gear

PRS SE Singlecut
Eleca Japanese LP
Epi Valve Junior
I would get a better guitar. and stay away fom epiphones learn from your mistakes get the schecter alot better guitar.
You probably won't be satisfied with a 500 dollar guitar, so I'd save up and get something quality, which will run over 1K...everyone hates this advice, but if you buy it right the first time, you won't be looking to upgrade in 8 months.
PRS SAS or Gibson LP Standard+
Teese WOF->Analogman Sunlion->Dr. Scientist Elements->Foxrox Aquavibe->Strymon Timeline->Eventide Space
Mesa RoadKing II and 2 Vox AC15s run in stereo
the epiphone valve junior and a DS-1 distortion is one of the worst setups for progressive metal in particular, so i would get the blackstar head if i were you
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
ha yeah, theres a c-1 for $300 I can definately get, Is there any way i get get a decent distortion pedal for under $100 for high-gain stuff? I know thats a hard request but idk it would be nice. Hows the metal muff in your guys honest opinon?
(and ps i'm sorry my sig really is confusing ill change that asap)
Current Gear

PRS SE Singlecut
Eleca Japanese LP
Epi Valve Junior
The metal muff is pretty good, I was playing it the other day, but if you want cheaper, go with the black coffee.
Quote by loafy1991
ha yeah, theres a c-1 for $300 I can definately get, Is there any way i get get a decent distortion pedal for under $100 for high-gain stuff? I know thats a hard request but idk it would be nice. Hows the metal muff in your guys honest opinon?
(and ps i'm sorry my sig really is confusing ill change that asap)

Get the C-1, it's a great guitar. Also, check out the Boss MD-2.
Quote by GodofCheesecake
Excessive punctuation!!!!!!!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by dhutton
+infinity

I have infinity.
Quote by metharian
yea its way too much for my little stick lol
If you want a $100 distortion pedal, go Hardwire.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
well i think I'm definately getting the guitar then I may just throw this mone towards a blackstar tbh. i very well may just try modding my ds-1 in the mean time. I will try these boxes out though just in case thanks for the replies guys i appreciate it!
Current Gear

PRS SE Singlecut
Eleca Japanese LP
Epi Valve Junior
Whatever you do, don't get your guitar setup at a GC.

Also, see if you can get our B-day loot early so you can take advantage of the Labor Day sale this weekend.

Happy B-day!
Last edited by 667 at Sep 3, 2009,