When you play guitar (or bass) do you actually count out the beats in your head? Or do you play more by feel? I play more by feel (although I subconsiously tap my feet to the beat) It screws up my playing to actually count out the beat. (Like when playing 16th notes you may say 1 e and e 2 e and e....) Although, if I'm playing twelve bar blues rhythm, I do count the eighth notes.
I'll pretend I can mod your amp but break it instead.
Last edited by guitarlord28 at Sep 3, 2009,
When i play bass and guitar i don't count it out cus my headbanging does it for me lol. But i play viola in my school orchestra and when i play that i count the beats.
So that with good courage we say, “The Lord is my helper. I will not fear. What can man do to me?”

-Hebrews 13:6
When practicing theory work or other bookwork I count out the beats out loud for new pieces but that is about all I do.
Gear

Ibanez SZR
Cube 30
Digitech RP 250
I don't count the beats... wait, isn't that what drummers are for?
Quote by GodofCheesecake
Excessive punctuation!!!!!!!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by dhutton
+infinity

I have infinity.
Quote by metharian
yea its way too much for my little stick lol
Depends on the song, but I never count how many times I repeat something.

Edit: Interestingly I only count on simple beats, like eigth note beats. I never count on complex beats.
Last edited by sk8nalmost1394 at Sep 3, 2009,
When I'm practicing something at a slower tempo I count the beats out just to make sure I get a good feel for the riff or whatever I'm doing. But when I'm actually playing I don't. But somehow me tapping my foot, not even counting the taps, helps me keep the feel for it.
i can feel the timing, comes with time

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
play by feel. unless maybe when im learning a song i havent heard, but then i tend to screw up :/
Quote by SPBY
i can feel the timing, comes with time

+1

after a combined 10 years of playing you can feel timings perfectly pretty much every time.
~Defiant~
Yep, I'm like most people, I think. I count it out when I'm learning a new rhythm, and I do it when practicing sometimes just to internalize it better. But when I'm playing, I don't count the time. I do, however, tap my foot, or generally groove to the beat.

On the other hand, I need to start counting out bars a bit more. I've been known to lose my place in a song if I don't count and there aren't any cues (such as from the drummer or whatever). At least when it gets a bit complicated. 12 bar blues I can do in my sleep.

As with most things in music, you break it down and think things through in the beginning (and generally when practicing). After a while, you internalize it and you don't need to do that when you're actually playing, anymore. If I had to think about all that stuff when I'm improvising, I'd never get anything done.
"Whaddya mean DYNAMICS?! I'm playing as loud as I can!"
After playing music since you were in 2nd grade, you kind of get most rhythms by feel. Rarely do I sit down and count it out unless it's a really tough rhythm (really stop and go or dotted rhythm patterns). Like on my all-state audition music...you bet I count it out!!
Gear:
B-52 ATX-100
Mesa Oversized recto 4x12
Jackson DKMG (w/ BareKnuckle Warpigs )
Ibanez Acoustic

Feel free to add me or PM me.
I just listen to the song and get a feel for it. I count beats when Im writing riffs though
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
i prefer to play by feel. i had a music exam the other day and i used a metronome to keep in time but i also tapped my feet. i got marked down for doing both cause the examiner was a stupid bitch.
Quote by rabidguitarist
You have to wrap the fabric widthways around your body, and safetypin the top corners to your moustache.

Quote by m.f.k.r
Because coheed sounds like they had their balls kicked in through their ass and pulled out their mouth.
I always play by feeling and musical cues. Even when i played trumpet in a symphonic-type band at my school, i did this. never once counted a single beat. It screws me up. But I ha pretty good rythym so i never have too much trouble.
Like punk the way it used to be? Deranged Youth Its like what Warped Tour should be!

Want to hear something mind-blowing? Pit O' Bodies Its like an amateur hypnotist plus the Spanish Inquisition!
I headbang for that simple purpose.
I've gotten a lot of LOLs in my time but I choose not to sig them to not look like a pretentious douchebag

Actual counting, no, not unless I'm totally stuck on something. That said, I'll usually keep the beat myself somehow (head, foot, etc), or use the metronome, so there's rarely nothing going on.
Oh, now I've gone and spilled my tea. This really won't do at all.
I think the line is kinda blurred. I would say that I count but my head isn't going "one two three...", but I know which beat I'm on.

Feel is when you don't need to count, right?
Well, I play some expiremental music with weird timings, there I do it more on feel, as I actually always do, with everything I play, feel is much more important than playing fast or even 100% correct... I tend to tap my foot or nod my head a little, but nothing more than that, except for a bit harder music
Gear:
Fender Jazzmaster
Boss DS-2
Digitech RP150 (with Line6 EX-1 Exp pedal)
Orange Crush 30R

My Youtube Page
Read this!You know you really want to...