This is what I heard this type of rhythms called before but I dont know if its the correct term, but its where two quick notes are followd by a third notes that last as long as the 2 fast ones, say 2 16th notes and an an eight note, all in a row.

I've been playing some Iron Maiden songs lately and they use these rhythms alot, and they like to play say the root note of a hord on the 16th notes and the whole chord on the 8th note, and I've been having trouble keeping this pattern up in fast songs.

Normally I alternate pick but I've been told its best to downstroke on the note where the chord is played, but if I do that I cant alternate pick so I was wondering, should I play the chord note with up and down strokes as I alternate pick? or just alternate pick the 16th notes and do a downstroke on the eight note.

Hope this wasnt as confusing as it sounded to me while I typed it =/
Which song? Give an example
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

EDIT: i googled it, you guys are gross.

a2m/gape/murder/suicide/farrakhan/braziliancakefarts/bugera
u alternate pick it and just hit the whole chord on the last note of the triplet as a down stroke and its a down stroke anyways so u shuld be good
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
haha yeah thats called galloping. the way i do it is like how you described the first time. a quick palm muted downstroke followed by a quick palm muted up stroke on the root note and then a full down stroke to ring out the accented note(s)/chord, then just repeat the pattern. yeah iron maiden use that technique extensively. a lot of hardcore bands and stuff like that use it too. use a metronome to practice your timing.
TALK TO GOD HERE --->

ME:
So you're gonna end the world soon?
GOD:
Interesting deduction. That was my original intention.
ME:
Well don't.
GOD:
Well that's okay. OK I will not.

Earth's fate saved in sig = EPIC WIN!!!
Quote by no.mop
Which song? Give an example

The trooper would be an example, although I dont have real problems with the speed on that song
Yeah, pretty much like everyone else said: start with a downstroke and end with a downstroke. Repeat.

It would go down-up-down [pause] down-up-down [pause] down-up-down [pause] etc. etc.
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

lol if you practise slayer's raining blood or iron maiden's trooper you will be pretty well good for galloping. just listen to the song and get into a rythm
Battery and disposable heroes by metallica, practice those!! that's how i learned galloping. When you master those 2 and wanna go even faster you can try rain by trivium or maybe raining blood
for a real galloping excerise/song try bleed by meshuggah
Join the 7 String Legion!

RG7420 with Dimarzio Crunchlab + Liquifire set
Peavey Vypyr 75 with Sanpera I
Digidesign Eleven Rack
Sennheiser HD280 headphones
Behringer FCB1010 with EurekaProm

Call me Eddy
Quote by Quaned
for a real galloping excerise/song try bleed by meshuggah

Unless you have ridiculous wrist muscles/endurance, you play that song with a different galloping technique than with slower songs. Going down-up-down down down-up-down down, I can get maybe 5 seconds in, while going down-up-down-up down-up-down-up, I can endure the entire song It takes a bit of practice to get used to galloping like that, but it's well worth it for Bleed in particular.

Watch the Bleed lesson on YouTube. Meshuggah plays it down-up-down-up
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?