So recently I have been practicing my alternate picking as I was a dumb ass at the start and only downpicked haha

Anyways I think my alternate technique is wrong, my motion seems to come from my fingers moving up and down, is this a bad habit? should my motion be coming from my wrist instead.
When I trem pick I notice my movement comes from my wrist and it seems alot smoother , whereas when I go to alternate picking I start using my fingers instead, which also seems to limit my speed and smoothness of my picking on the strings.

Should I start focussing on alternate with just my wirst?

Also when playing and justice for all... my fretting hand seems to cramp up 3-4 mins into playing it, would this be my technique? Ive never had a problem with it playing any other songs.

Thanks in advance.
your fingers should never move while playing guitar (the ones holding the pick anyway). and i can't comment on your fretting hand because i can't see what you're doing but possibly. or it could be that you're just not used to playing long songs.

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Quote by SPBY
your fingers should never move while playing guitar (the ones holding the pick anyway). and i can't comment on your fretting hand because i can't see what you're doing but possibly. or it could be that you're just not used to playing long songs.

not true... plenty of shredders use their fingers on certain passages and most shredders that pick using more finger over wrist tend to be faster...
its called circular picking and its the best way to trem pick fast and it uses ur fingers
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
Quote by selkies
its called circular picking and its the best way to trem pick fast and it uses ur fingers

+1 this guy knows what hes talking about listen to him
For your alternate picking, you should focus on your wrist doing the motion. It is key, this is where all your accuracy will come, from your wrist.

Your hand is cramping up because you put to much tension in your hands. Try and relax them, dont force down so much on the strings.
Ok?

So im getting a couple of conflicting opinions? Which is better in the long run, wrist motion or finger/circular picking? I mainly play old school thrash, death metal and rock not to much into shred.
Cheers for the link, I think I will try use abit more wrist motion in conjunction with my finger and thumb, hopefully that will improve my picking and give me a more consistant alt picking attack.