Keeping a log of my progress for other beginners or whatever. I suppose I'll do a video every couple weeks or so. Started as me asking how I was doing. I figured there are lots of posts like this, so I'd just keep mine updated if anyone was looking for a benchmark to compare with to make themselves feel better

September 4th - Metallica - Welcome Home (Sanitarium) intro Solo

September 23rd - Yngwie Malmsteen - Arpgeggios From Hell Main Riff
Last edited by big_aug at Sep 23, 2009,
I might turn off the TV before recording...

But it sounded alright, there wasn't really a 'flow' or underlying tonality to it, which works against you a little bit.
***No Advertising***

Quote by Anonymous

there are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Yea, I probably should have turned off the TV. I forgot it was on when I was playing.

I don't know if it was all in the same key or anything so that probably why some of it sounds like crap.

Putting that aside, my "technical ability" is moving along ok? I feel like it is so thats really all that matters I guess.
Yea, the Valve Junior isn't the greatest. I do think that the recording kills it. I was using a DS-1 pedal too and it sounds a lot worse through that. The amp sounds good clean, but the distortion really sucks.

There isn't much in terms of music shops around here so I can't really try anything out so I have to go by reviews.

I'm going to record one more right now.
Its pretty short but from what I could see for 5 months your technical ability is fine, might help to look into some scales and theory if you ever get some interest in that to keep it all in the same tonality and make your improvisation more cohesive.

Other that than it was all pretty good, and as you keep practicing it'll all be getting better!
I've done a lot of reading and such on theory and scales etc. I just have not yet been able to become comfortable enough with it to apply it to the fretboard. I understand it perfectly fine, but there is just that hurdle of getting it out of theory and into practice.

I really think that learning other players' licks and the theory behind those is going to be the best way for me to start being able to apply some of those ideas.

Thanks for the replies guys.
Maybe it was a little too fast but you're on a good way
Quote by razorback91
Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

Yes, its its own kind of metal, but its still metal.
..I made a thread like this a couple weeks ago, and the only answers I got, were "zomg ur a troll LOL" and "it doesn't matter how good your are for five months".

TS: you're alright for 5 months.
I think I thwarted that off by acknowledging it in the first sentence
I think you're fine for 5 months. If you're still interested and having fun, that's all that matters.
Nice job man.
"He who controls the past, controls the future. He who controls the present, controls the past." - Orwell
Spend some time practicing your bends. Make sure you bend all the way up to the note you are trying to sound. But bending is something that takes time and practice. Keep at it and you'll get it.
Quote by redvetteZ06
I think you're fine for 5 months. If you're still interested and having fun, that's all that matters.

Beyond interested. I'm like, in love. I think about playing guitar all day. There are days I don't play at all (I don't feel like doing anything and I think taking breaks for a few days at a time is better anyway), but I'm still thinking about guitar all the time. I feel like I get better every week. The best thing is trying to play songs I know I can't play. I give 'em a shot and, you know, I can play the riffs or little pieces here and there. Then a while later I try it out again and a lot of it feels easy.

I haven't had something that I really wanted to get better at since college sports. You know what I mean. Like playing video games, you obviously want to win, but you don't think to yourself "Man, I need to get better" like you would for sports or something. Its awesome to have that feeling again, that drive. I wish I was a millionaire so I could do nothing but eat, sleep, workout, and play guitar.

I guess this topic was irrelevant. I just wanted some outside opinions. I guess everything feels right about it to me, but that usually means something is wrong
It was fine, but I feel that you're kinda tense (correct me if I'm wrong though) . Loosen up a little!
My left hand is definitely tense sometimes. I have to really focus to remember that I don't have to squeeze the neck to play the notes. I'm sure I'll get better at it with time. I also need to take my guitar in and get it setup and see if they can put the action like super low for me. I could probably do it myself, but I'd just rather a pro do it for piece of mind.
Quote by jsepguitar
Spend some time practicing your bends. Make sure you bend all the way up to the note you are trying to sound. But bending is something that takes time and practice. Keep at it and you'll get it.

I also have to add that you seem to be using your fingers to bend, this is wrong. You need to use the strength from your arm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRjU89TCd40

This explains what I mean.
I figured I'd update this thread each time I make a video just to keep track of my progress. Maybe it can help out other people who will ask the question of how they doing after playing for X amount of time.

Newest video is my attempt at the main riff from Yngwie Malmsteen's Arpeggios From Hell. I know, I know. I probably shouldn't be messing around with this stuff at this stage of learning. I can't help it though.

I haven't practiced the two runs at the end there very much. I just included them in the recording. I've been learning this song for a few days. Yes, there are lots of mistakes and obviously its not up to speed. I didn't want to record forever while I tried to get it with little mistakes. No one has to respond to this, I'm just going to keep it updated.
Last edited by big_aug at Sep 23, 2009,
Don't get caught up with the whole diary thing. The only reason i say this is because if you do you will get really downbeat really quickly, because there will come a point when it will seem like your progress has halted. Just enjoy it and try and learn new stuff all the time, without being so regimented.
Forget the diary thing and also slow down - it looks like you're desperately trying to "level up" in the shortest time possible. Yngwie stuff is miles away for you at the moment, it's actually counter-productive if you try to leanr something that's too difficult.

Being good at guitar is not about the hardest thing you can play, it's about how well you do everything and how broad your knowledge is. Concentrate on getting good at the simple, basic stuff before worrying about playing fast. Your playing is kind of mechanical and robotic and your timing is all over the show, and that comes from concentrating too much on the physical actions required to follow a tab rather than actually listening to what you're doing and thinking about the sound you want. That comes with experience but it's still something you need to work on and it needs to come from the ground up which means going back to the basics and re-assessing things. There's little point trying to play complex solos or sweeps when you can't even strum a basic chord progression in time, you need to tackle things in the right order if you want to progress in the most effective way possible.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Hey, something important that no one has mentioned yet, try to use a metronome when you practice at all times, helps your rhythm alot. I was reluctant to use one at first and as a result my playing was sloppy and out of time, don't make the same mistake I did.

Keep practicing
I completely understand that I shouldn't be attempting these types of things. That is what I'm listening to though. I get the urge to look up tab, and I attempt to play them. I'm not trying "level up". I go through phases where I become "obsessed" with a song or something and I just play it over and over and over and over and over trying to get it the best I can. I eventually move on if its something difficult that I can't get right.

I do disagree with people saying not to play these types of things. As long as I know that I'm still way off and I know I'm not able to play it right, then I don't see the harm in trying to play it. I know what I'm doing wrong and I know it needs fixed, but that will take time. I'm just using the ability that I have to try and play the music I'm into at the moment. I went days doing nothing but improvising with the major pentatonic scale when I was in a Clapton phase.

Its like going to the gym. My max might be 375, but today I think I'm gonna throw on 405 just for the hell of it and see what its like. Something like that.

I'm having fun. I look forward to playing everyday. I appreciate the advice and comments.
Everybody learns hat his own speeds.

But Sanitarium Intro Solo is already damn good for 5 months.
"Black gives way to more black."

I have UG Black Style and I can barely read my signature.

Also, I like black.

~DawnwalkerALL HAIL COMRADE DAWNWALKER
Quote by steven seagull
Forget the diary thing and also slow down - it looks like you're desperately trying to "level up" in the shortest time possible.

Hold on a second!!! I'm supposed to level up?!? That would be awesome if in the middle of a solo the lights just went crazy flashing around you and you got bigger or something :-)
Quote by Nalakram
Hold on a second!!! I'm supposed to level up?!? That would be awesome if in the middle of a solo the lights just went crazy flashing around you and you got bigger or something :-)

Ding!

Quote by big_aug
Beyond interested. I'm like, in love. I think about playing guitar all day. There are days I don't play at all (I don't feel like doing anything and I think taking breaks for a few days at a time is better anyway), but I'm still thinking about guitar all the time. I feel like I get better every week. The best thing is trying to play songs I know I can't play. I give 'em a shot and, you know, I can play the riffs or little pieces here and there. Then a while later I try it out again and a lot of it feels easy.

I haven't had something that I really wanted to get better at since college sports. You know what I mean. Like playing video games, you obviously want to win, but you don't think to yourself "Man, I need to get better" like you would for sports or something. Its awesome to have that feeling again, that drive. I wish I was a millionaire so I could do nothing but eat, sleep, workout, and play guitar.

I guess this topic was irrelevant. I just wanted some outside opinions. I guess everything feels right about it to me, but that usually means something is wrong

right on man, when i was 11 my dad bought me a guitar for my birthday. Now all i do is play guitar. I know exactly how you feel. I love my guitar and you are way better than i was at 5 months. Best of luck to you and your journey to the northwest passage of sexjuicelovesongs.
GEAR

Guitars
Danelectro Double Cutaway 1959 reissue, Jay Turser Vintage Series Strat

Pedals
Danelectro Reel Echo, Crybaby Wah, Boss DS-1

Amplifiers
Orange Crush 30w
Fender Pro Junior