So the speaker in my Crate GX-30M is basically shot when it comes to the low frequencies.

I tried repairing it with a cheap fix, but it looks like the problem might be more serious than that.

Problem is, if I repair it, I'll just be stuck with a now fixed amp that I don't use. I'm also looking for a new amp.

So I was thinking, why not replace the 12", 4 Ohm speaker with a new speaker suitable for bass? I've been thinking of taking up bass, and the lack of a bass amp was always a bit of a speed bump for me.

Will this work?
Is it worth it?
Will it sound bad (any worse than a GX-30M with a guitar plugged in)?
Where can I get a suitable (and hopefully inexpensive) speaker?

Thanks
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix
I always thought 10" speakers sound the best for bass.
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
it might sound funny.. but it wouldn't burn your house down.

just make sure those ohms match.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
It should sound fine, the high end might be a little shrill, bass speakers have a wider frequency response, both high and low.

It will be able to handle bass as well, but it will be lacking headroom to be more then a bass practise amp.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by touji-za-nai
I always thought 10" speakers sound the best for bass.

The only reason I'd put a 12" in is because my Crate originally had a 12" speaker in it. Doesn't really matter though.
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix
Quote by STABxYOU
It will be able to handle bass as well, but it will be lacking headroom to be more then a bass practice amp.

I only plan on using it as a practice amp anyway.
Quote by Zoot Allures
O_o but bigger speaker = more bass response right? If its 10inches wouldn't it strain it?

Actually bass sounds better through a 10" or a 15" rather than a 12" - thats why most bass cabs have combinations of 10" and 15" speakers.

TS: Go for it. It won't hurt anything - it may not sound the best but it definitely will work.