f spacing is bull****. purely asthetic. F spacing aligns the pole pieces better with a trem guitar. but any claims of making tone change are purely BS
buy one with a bar pole piece, end of story
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
Quote by DeanRedneck
f spacing is bull****. purely asthetic. F spacing aligns the pole pieces better with a trem guitar. but any claims of making tone change are purely BS

Not necissarily. If you have a certain magnetic field, and your string is on the edge of that, what happens when you bend? It strays away from the magnetic field and suffers in volume. Maybe not tone, but definitely volume.

After putting non-f-spaced p'ups in my Prestige, I always make sure I have the proper pickups in the proper guitars. I really believe it's more than aesthetics.
Axes;
Ibanez S Prestige (Bubinga Top)
ESP LTD MH-103
Ibanez GiO with DiMarzio D-Activator X's!
'96(ish) Fender Stratocaster

Amps;
Mesa Boogie Road King II
Fender '65 Reissue

Joe Satriani's Group

Stop the Pick Gnomes!
Quote by iamawsomeguitar

this is a passive pickup right?

yep.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Quote by JAustinMunn
Not necissarily. If you have a certain magnetic field, and your string is on the edge of that, what happens when you bend? It strays away from the magnetic field and suffers in volume. Maybe not tone, but definitely volume.

After putting non-f-spaced p'ups in my Prestige, I always make sure I have the proper pickups in the proper guitars. I really believe it's more than aesthetics.

I call BS. I can bend a string on any guitar that I own, which pulls the string away from the pole piece and there is no change in volume or tone. even on the neck PU, there there is the most change in position
All of our full-size humbuckers except the X2N® are available in two polepiece spacings. F-spacing refers to the wider of the two spacings. For proper string alignment and balanced output, F-spaced humbuckers should be used in the bridge position on all guitars with string spacing at the bridge of 2.1" (53 mm) or greater. On these guitars, if the nut width is 1-11/16” (43 mm) or greater, F-spaced pickups can be used in the neck position as well. - From DiMarzio.com

My initial instinct is to say yes (because I love the EVO pickups, and you have an Ibanez which generally uses F-spaced, but then again yours doesn't have a floyd), but do the research first.
Axes;
ESP LTD MH-103

Amps;
Mesa Boogie Road King II
Fender '65 Reissue

Joe Satriani's Group

Stop the Pick Gnomes!
Quote by DeanRedneck
I call BS. I can bend a string on any guitar that I own, which pulls the string away from the pole piece and there is no change in volume or tone. even on the neck PU, there there is the most change in position

But your pole pieces probably line up with the strings relatively well. I'm saying that in my Ibanez, they didn't, and volume/sustain suffered. Even DiMarzio is saying the same thing!
Axes;
ESP LTD MH-103

Amps;
Mesa Boogie Road King II
Fender '65 Reissue

Joe Satriani's Group

Stop the Pick Gnomes!
Last edited by JAustinMunn at Sep 4, 2009,
I'm calling bullsh*t on all of this, I've used non f-spaced PUs on guitars with floyds (and vice versa) dont buy into the bull****. Its all the same, a magnetic field doesnt change that much.

does your tone change when you bend a string? I doubt it it.

ultimately, buy a PU that you like.

everybody on here seems to be a know it all jackass. just buy a pickup that you like for as cheap as you can get it.

F spacing doesnt matter
Quote by DeanRedneck
I'm calling bullsh*t on all of this, I've used non f-spaced PUs on guitars with floyds (and vice versa) dont buy into the bull****. Its all the same, a magnetic field doesnt change that much.

does your tone change when you bend a string? I doubt it it.

ultimately, buy a PU that you like.

everybody on here seems to be a know it all jackass. just buy a pickup that you like for as cheap as you can get it.

F spacing doesnt matter

Talk about a know it all Jackass...

If F-Spacing didn't matter, why would they make it? If it were all about aesthetics, it seems to me they'd just cover all of the p'ups so you couldn't see the pole pieces anyway. That would save them the trouble of manufacturing them.

Yes, tone does change if you bend a string outside of its pole's range. You lose all overtones of the string.

Just get an F-spaced. You'll be happier in the long run. Besides, those Evo's rock.
Axes;
ESP LTD MH-103

Amps;
Mesa Boogie Road King II
Fender '65 Reissue

Joe Satriani's Group

Stop the Pick Gnomes!
Last edited by JAustinMunn at Sep 4, 2009,
to answer your question; yes it should fit fine.

i've heard that f-spaced could mean two things. one story is that they were designed to better fit floyd rose tremolos, thus the "F" spaced. the second story i've heard is that the "F" stands for "fender" and they're properly aligned for fender guitars. i'm not sure if this is true, but several companies only offer single coil pickups in f-spaced, so it's possible.

anyway, on a guitar with a term go f-spaced. and in all honesty, i don't think that the pole pieces being farther apart could affect anything that raising the pickup by a fraction of an inch couldn't fix.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Quote by LifeIsABullet16
to answer your question; yes it should fit fine.

i've heard that f-spaced could mean two things. one story is that they were designed to better fit floyd rose tremolos, thus the "F" spaced. the second story i've heard is that the "F" stands for "fender" and they're properly aligned for fender guitars. i'm not sure if this is true, but several companies only offer single coil pickups in f-spaced, so it's possible.

anyway, on a guitar with a term go f-spaced. and in all honesty, i don't think that the pole pieces being farther apart could affect anything that raising the pickup by a fraction of an inch couldn't fix.

The DiMarzio FAQ says pretty much that. Basically Fender was Wider than Gibson.
Axes;
ESP LTD MH-103

Amps;
Mesa Boogie Road King II
Fender '65 Reissue

Joe Satriani's Group

Stop the Pick Gnomes!
Quote by DeanRedneck

But there's no difference in price, it's not like you get charged any more for an F-spaced pickup so what's your problem other than being an overly confrontational arse...small penis?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Sep 4, 2009,
well, this cat is looking on ebay. and not worrying about f spacing can open up a lot more options with used PUs. you guys can do whatever you want and call me a dick or whatever, but I'm just telling you what I've found from experience.
Quote by steven seagull
But there's no difference in price, it's not like you get charged any more for an F-spaced pickup so what's your problem other than being an overly confrontational arse...small penis?

There's no price difference, literally. The TB-6 I have in my guitar is no differently priced than an SH-6 (if you don't know, the SH-6 is the standard spaced Duncan Distortion and the TB-6 is the F-spaced version).
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I have a non f-spaced EVO PU in my bridge position and I have a floyde and when I bend or do anything the sound or volume is not effected at all.

And I have tried the f-spaced in a guitar just like mine through my amp with same settings and everything and they sounded the same.

So if you're not retarded like I was you will get the f-spaced if you have the floyde, sounds not affected but the strings just line up and it looks a little more uniform than them not lineing up.

BUt if you don't get the f-spaced it will not matter, unless you are just anal about the way it looks.
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
Quote by srob7001
I have a non f-spaced EVO PU in my bridge position and I have a floyde and when I bend or do anything the sound or volume is not effected at all.

And I have tried the f-spaced in a guitar just like mine through my amp with same settings and everything and they sounded the same.

So if you're not retarded like I was you will get the f-spaced if you have the floyde, sounds not affected but the strings just line up and it looks a little more uniform than them not lineing up.

BUt if you don't get the f-spaced it will not matter, unless you are just anal about the way it looks.

I find that hard to believe, just because all of the official documentation argues otherwise. If they charged more for F-Space, I could see the "it doesn't really matter, they're just trying to rip you off angle," but the fact is it does matter. Even if it didn't, why leave it up to chance? Better safe than sorry?

For all you know, I or srob or DeanRedneck could all be tone deaf.
Axes;
ESP LTD MH-103

Amps;
Mesa Boogie Road King II
Fender '65 Reissue

Joe Satriani's Group

Stop the Pick Gnomes!
Quote by JAustinMunn
Talk about a know it all Jackass...

If F-Spacing didn't matter, why would they make it? If it were all about aesthetics, it seems to me they'd just cover all of the p'ups so you couldn't see the pole pieces anyway. That would save them the trouble of manufacturing them.

Yes, tone does change if you bend a string outside of its pole's range. You lose all overtones of the string.

Just get an F-spaced. You'll be happier in the long run. Besides, those Evo's rock.

Exactly, its not like its a marketing ploy... it costs the same to get either size.
Carvin DC127+Custom Lacewood Build+Godin SD--->Traynor YCV50BLUE

My Build IT'S DONE!
Quote by JAustinMunn
I find that hard to believe, just because all of the official documentation argues otherwise. If they charged more for F-Space, I could see the "it doesn't really matter, they're just trying to rip you off angle," but the fact is it does matter. Even if it didn't, why leave it up to chance? Better safe than sorry?

For all you know, I or srob or DeanRedneck could all be tone deaf.

Well I can tell you I am not tone deff.

There is no diff in sound or volume at least not with my EVO PU's. And it was through a Mesa combo amp same setting for both guitars.

I thought there would be a huge diff before I installed them but there wasn't. I even asked my guitar tech if it would be an issue before he installed cause if there would have been I would have returned it and got the f-spaced one ordered for me.

And honestly the none f-spaced poles are not way off from the strings. The strings sit over the poles, just not centered directly over them like they would with the f-spaced PU's.
Gear
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
Quote by srob7001
Well I can tell you I am not tone deff.

There is no diff in sound or volume at least not with my EVO PU's. And it was through a Mesa combo amp same setting for both guitars.

I thought there would be a huge diff before I installed them but there wasn't. I even asked my guitar tech if it would be an issue before he installed cause if there would have been I would have returned it and got the f-spaced one ordered for me.

And honestly the none f-spaced poles are not way off from the strings. The strings sit over the poles, just not centered directly over them like they would with the f-spaced PU's.

First off, prove you're not tone deaf.

It isn't that easy, is it?

I don't care what you think, because your opinion is wrong. And I'm sure there are people out there who think mine is wrong. It's human nature.

Point is, unless you want to spend pointless time arguing about stuff (which is a favorite past time of mine), give up. Nothing is gonna persuade you or me otherwise.
Axes;
ESP LTD MH-103

Amps;
Mesa Boogie Road King II
Fender '65 Reissue

Joe Satriani's Group

Stop the Pick Gnomes!
Quote by JAustinMunn

It isn't that easy, is it?

I don't care what you think, because your opinion is wrong. And I'm sure there are people out there who think mine is wrong. It's human nature.

Point is, unless you want to spend pointless time arguing about stuff (which is a favorite past time of mine), give up. Nothing is gonna persuade you or me otherwise.

Do you have a floyde guitar with a non f-spaced PU in its bridge position? Cause I do so I KNOW what it sounds like. I'm not just going by internet here-say, which you are.

And I wasn't the only one there to trty and hear a diff. There were 5 of us. So yea maybe all 5 of us are tone deff. maybe thats why I tune all my string to Eb and nothing sound right when I play covers.

I'm not gonna argue with you about something I hear on a daily basis and that you have never heard before.
Gear
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
Quote by srob7001
Do you have a floyde guitar with a non f-spaced PU in its bridge position? Cause I do so I KNOW what it sounds like. I'm not just going by internet here-say, which you are.

And I wasn't the only one there to trty and hear a diff. There were 5 of us. So yea maybe all 5 of us are tone deff. maybe thats why I tune all my string to Eb and nothing sound right when I play covers.

I'm not gonna argue with you about something I hear on a daily basis and that you have never heard before.

As a matter of fact, I had installed a non-f-spaced pickup in a guitar that required one. And I'm saying that I heard a difference. I think maybe I have better ears than you, but again, opinions, subjectiveness, etc.

Learn how to speal DEAF.

And I'm gonna argue with you all day, even if all I had to go with is internet "here-say," because I think you're wrong sir, and I sir, am bored.
Axes;
ESP LTD MH-103

Amps;
Mesa Boogie Road King II
Fender '65 Reissue

Joe Satriani's Group

Stop the Pick Gnomes!
Quote by JAustinMunn
As a matter of fact, I had installed a non-f-spaced pickup in a guitar that required one. And I'm saying that I heard a difference. I think maybe I have better ears than you, but again, opinions, subjectiveness, etc.

Learn how to speal DEAF.

And I'm gonna argue with you all day, even if all I had to go with is internet "here-say," because I think you're wrong sir, and I sir, am bored.

So it must have been a EVO PU too huh, cause like I said in my post it was with that PU.

Your opinion mean nothing to me. So you sir are wrong.

And sorry I had a typo, I'll send all my threads to you first so you can proof read them for me since you seem to get so bored.
Gear
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
Quote by srob7001
So it must have been a EVO PU too huh, cause like I said in my post it was with that PU.

Your opinion mean nothing to me. So you sir are wrong.

And sorry I had a typo, I'll send all my threads to you first so you can proof read them for me since you seem to get so bored.

Yes, as a matter of fact it was. On my Ibanez S Prestige. You want pics? I got 'em (cuz Bubba's gorgeous). I also got an area 67 for the single coil in the middle.

It wasn't a typo, because you've done it twice now. In two different posts. Plus, the "A" key and the "F" key aren't near eachother anyway.

And, you're wrong. And ignorant apparently! AND a Liar! (cuz of the "deaf" thing, lol)

That's what they call "pwned."

Good'ay sir.
Axes;
ESP LTD MH-103

Amps;
Mesa Boogie Road King II
Fender '65 Reissue

Joe Satriani's Group

Stop the Pick Gnomes!
Wow, I just saw that your only 18 or 19...that explains everything to me about you.

TS - get the f-spaced if you have a floyde and don't have the PU already. Matter of fact just send any new thread questions to JAustinMunn since he apparently is an expert at all things guitar and will just argue with anyone else who posts a reply not agreeing with his and act like a child.
Gear
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
Quote by ibanezgod1973
do you need backup "darrell"

Na, I'm not gonna argue with some 18/19 year old about something I hear everyday.

I think if I were tone DEAF the military would have told me when I went in and did all my hearing and vision tests.

Oh the kids these days.
Gear
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ

He plays guitar. It's near impossible to play guitar if you're tone deaf. Also, tone deafness has nothing to do with this.

I don't care what you think, because your opinion is wrong.

How is his opinion wrong? He says his volume doesn't get affected while bending with a non f-spaced pickup. Maybe it doesn't, it's not like f-spacing is definitively going to make a difference for every trem-equipped guitar.

Learn how to speal DEAF.

Before you start ragging on other people's typos, you should really check your own. Honestly.

That's what they call "pwned."

FYI: you haven't "pwned" anything. You're just making yourself look more like a jackass, and even more desparate for some semblance of a victory by pointing out spelling mistakes.
if the TS had used the searchbar this flame war wouldn`t of started f-spacing has been discussed to death (or is it 'deaf') in loads of similar threads, this is why i didn`t offer up any information `cos i`m not repeating myself.
Closed due to excessive flames.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...