Hey,

For my masterthesis I am trying to find out how you think how to create a number 1 hit record. Please tell me hoe you think it should be done. You are free to enter any idea that you think will contribute of post an link to a page which describes the proces in your opinion.

We start with nothing and it ends when your number achieved the number one spot. Hoe do you think you can achieve it?

Greetz,
V
Sell your soul to the devil, your recording company, and mtv.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Quote by Vinvar
Hey,

For my masterthesis I am trying to find out how you think how to create a number 1 hit record. Please tell me hoe you think it should be done. You are free to enter any idea that you think will contribute of post an link to a page which describes the proces in your opinion.

We start with nothing and it ends when your number achieved the number one spot. Hoe do you think you can achieve it?

Greetz,
V

If it was simple enough to reduce to a formula, 90% of records released would not lose money, as is currently the case.
By the way, if this is how you are researching a Master's thesis might I suggest, a) consulting peer reviewed journals, as message boards are not accepted sources for a bibliography and b) investing in a spell checker?
Imo, you start with the pop/rock formula of intro, verse, chorus, verse, bridge, outro/chorus.
You then start on the chorus first, creating one hell of a hook. From that point you move on to your verses, making sure they compliment the chorus but not overshadowing it at all. Your next process is the bridge, a total contrast to the song but complimenting it completely, maintaining the interest of the listener.

Once that is done, you perform it groupwise to sort out the kinks and find additional harmonies that don't overpower the initial hook needed. Then you move into the studio and find a sh!thot producer (if finances allow) like Mutt Lange or Dann Huff to name two... and then you let them work their magic while you record. If you feel there is something missing in the song that, as a band, you cannot think across... thats what the producer will find and he'll fish it out of you by asking you to try something. If its an awesome song, he might not even suggest anything.

References to listen to of the two above guys would be Shania Twain's albums, AC/DC, Faith Hill, Def Leppard... only a few. From that moment on its up to the marketing guys to finish the rest of the work, ie: convincing the public of how much they need this album, featuring these amazing songs, get it now... Look at this sexy cover... buy this and chicks will shag you endlessly... whatever is needed to get it across. Then the public will help you out by buying it and giving you royalties earned.

Another great example is Kelly Clarkson.... had something ridiculous like 8 or 9 hits on a single album. And, to top it off, those songs are extremely catchy... which means very well written, very well produced, extremely well marketed.

I hope this gives some help to your thesis or at least more to explore
Quote by koslack
If it was simple enough to reduce to a formula, 90% of records released would not lose money, as is currently the case.
By the way, if this is how you are researching a Master's thesis might I suggest, a) consulting peer reviewed journals, as message boards are not accepted sources for a bibliography and b) investing in a spell checker?

Thanks for the suggestion. I did read my literature but there is no formula that actually seems to work. So I want to refine there formulas but therefore I need to know what the majority of the people is thinking about how to create a number one hitrecord.

Keep on going please. Any kind of marketing necessary?
Of course there isn't a formula. Ok, popular music tends to base itself around a verse chorus structure and a good hook in the chorus, but this is no way set in stone. You also have to take into account how the song is marketed, what time of the year it is, what is going on in the world at the time, is the song controversial etc. etc.

If you want to know a common "formula" for just creating a number one why don't you look at hundreds of number ones and find common factors e.g. key, chord progressions etc. This won't give you an answer though because there will be a thousand other songs using the same tricks that won't get to number one.

In the end i think you should be able to find a lot to write about because there are going to be lots of conflicting factors. You won't find an overall "answer" though.
VH1 and Mtv are killers at marketing, when paid enough, you will have your track on the hour every hour.

Why albums lose money is any number of factors coming into play. for example:
1. The album is filled with crud with one good song.
2. There's no variety from the one disc to the next.
3. The cd buying public is finnicky at best. The majority of them need the brainwashing that those channels provide. The other half of them don't watch the tv and listen to radio at work, and the brainwashing that provides could be on a subconscious level most times because a: they are at work, b: they are more focused on something else at the time. If it sounds like all the other stuff on the radio (like point two) the brain won't register it much. Time becomes the factor.
4. People aiming at saving money due to some economic crisis they think might be happening.

The net is a great marketing tool... but only if the page is seen. Millions of other pages will be ahead of most bands pages... depending how well your site is laid out and if the spider could collect enough data from it. If you pay well for keywords, your site could be number one or two.

The defining factor in whether a song is a hit all boils down to peoples choice in the end, which is clearly out of reach of the band themselves. Their marketing guys handle the convincing of the public who in turn have to sell units of said product. The public buys, units get sold and numbers of units increase, we have a winner. Like they all say above and very likely below me, there is no set formula. But there are recipes, and if followed up on... could make for an interesting life. The flip side is that no matter how good your product is, if it aint heard or seen, its better off collecting more dust than it already has.

You could give "Building a successful 21st century music career" a read. Its pretty interesting.
Your lyrics must be incredibly cheesy, and the chorus should consist of a few repeated lines with words that people can 'relate' to.

The guitar must be basic rythym playing, the bass mimicking (sp?) the guitar, and the drums in standard 4/4 with the occasional cymbal crash here and there.

Oh and throw in a small rap section so it appeals to 'everyone'.

Just kidding by the way guys, but i can pick at least 10 songs in the top 20 that fit this description

It's a shame that more varied music doesnt hit the number spot now and again.
There's riddles in the shadows
They're thrown the way that i'd expect
And people never seem to know
What they least suspect is coming next
Give the fans something they've already heard, make sure it isn't too deep, and get the mainstream music media to parrot your band's name and the album name until enough people buy it.

I'd never be able to write a paper about this without throwing in a few opinionated rants.
If I figured out how to create my #1 hit, I can assure you I would not be telling you how to on UG forums and instead doing several lines of cocaine in my mansion xD
Write a simple catchy song with nice lyrics about love and with the chorus repeated lots, be very attractive, get signed by a major label which gets your song onto every radio station and music chanel.

That would probably get you a hit, for a no. 1 your song would probably have to be a bit more catchy than any others.

Edit:
I want to stress the fact that I don't think songwriting is the biggest influence. Loads of people can write catchy songs but only the ones with the financial backing to get those songs on the radio and on tv will be successful.
Last edited by 12345abcd3 at Sep 4, 2009,
Quote by KenjiBeast
http://www.graphpaper.com/2007/08-18_the-manual-how-to-have-a-number-one-hit-the-easy-way

I've been looking for an opportunity to post that for like years.

i thought that was a joke at first, it kinda has a bitter tone behind it but i guess its supposed to. i looked into it and there was artists that did follow that and make hits. but its a definite step by step guide to selling your soul to the devil. ill finish reading it when i get time, its worth a once over.
but imo thats just one way, there are others. i believe the more energy and emotion in a song the better.
I agree with Se;

It's all about how you get it marketed.

I know I can make a better hamburger then mcdonalds, but I Will never sell as many as them.

Likewise, a mcdonalds hamburger is cheap, easily made, and still sells.

A reason money is lost is due to the generational? thing that is going on, which is that peopel are starting to get more, and more indivdual, and listen to music they want to hear through the internet.

There's also the downloading.

- Another reason money is lost, is because of the competition.

Yet another reason is, is that everyone owns Ipods, and a lot of hitsongs are based on radio airplay.

If another label comes out with an artist that makes "cooler" music (Especially in rap, this is going on), then one sells less then the other.

1 example is the Kanye vs 50 thing last year.

There is in pop music, good and bad pop music depending on multiple factors.

A song also becomes a hit by chance in terms of when it is released.

I mean, if you take a song that was a great hit in the 80's, 90% of the mainstream supporting crowd of this time will not like it, while in the 80's 90% of the mainstream crowd found it to be a number one hit.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Sep 7, 2009,
There is a book named "How To Write a Hit Song" which Del Tha Funkee Homosapien used to write the song "Clint Eastwood" by The Gorillaz... seemed to work for him.
Your on the right path when your looking at the pop rock genres. Being a singer, you going to have to mention how singing is different in pop rock, compared to other non main stream genres. How the guitar riffs are different and sometimes not that complex.
-PV14 Mixer
-Crown XTI 1000 Amp
-Two PR15 mains
-Shure SM58
-Dbx compressor/gate
if i knew, I would have alot more money...
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)