I've been reading praises and reviews on Lovecraft for a very long time, but I never read a book of his. Even King said no one surpassed him yet in horror/weird fiction.

Death/Thrash bands seem to like the dark themes of ancient underwater creatures that make you insane, so I guess it's time for me to get into ze b00ks.

Can anyone recommend me which book is better to read first?
Thanks.
The majority of his work is poetry and short stories. So it wouldn't be a "book", exactly.
Start with his Macabre Stories, then the Cthulu Mythos, and if you are stilled into reading his work, go on to his Dream Cycle stories.
I'd also give the Necronomicon a read; considering the amount of reference that Lovecraft makes to it; although that's really an esoteric/spiritual book.
Get the book called "Call of Cthulhu and other weird stories".

Amazing author btw, one of my favourites.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by ingames
What do you mean the Necronomicon is a spiritual book?

Mainly because it's based on spirits, demons, and magick. I consider that spiritual.
It's about the antique demons and gods of this world.
Not exactly sure, but I think Lovecraft wrote his own version of the Necronomicon; but the more popular and generally accepted version is that of Simon.
Last edited by EmancipatedSoul at Sep 5, 2009,
I love H.P. Lovecraft.

The whole Cthulu mythos is 'kin brilliant.
PICTURE YOURSELF IN A BOAT ON A RIVER
WITH TANGERINE TREES AND MARMALADE SKIES...
I have a book that has a whole bunch of his short stories, some poems and other things in it. It has everything that would be reccomended in this thread including Call of Cthulhu, Herbert West Re-Animator, Rats in the Walls, At the Mountains of Madness and others. It's called Necronomicon: The best weird tales of H.P. Lovecraft. Here's a link:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/H-P-Lovecraft-Collection-Necronomicon-GollanczF/dp/0575081570

I'm not advertising though it looks like I am but this book alone has almost everything so if you were to start anywhere this one would be it.
Quote by Jearl

...dont play Fender just because its Fender.

Gear:
Ibanez SZ520QM
Peavey Rotor EXP
Squier Bullet (heavily modified)
Mesa Roadster Head & 2x12 cab
So, did Lovecraft "create" Cthulhu or did he take it from an obscure religion?

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
Quote by osXtiger
So, did Lovecraft "create" Cthulhu or did he take it from an obscure religion?

He created it, apparently he dreamt the thing.

It's believed he had some schizophrenic disorder too. Like Edgar Allan Poe, interestingly.
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Buy the "Necronomicon". Big thick black book. All of Lovecrafts greatest stories. There are tonnes.

EDIT: To clear things up, there are two Necronomicons. One is a collection of Lovecraft's stories, the other is a book of summoning demons. Many copies of this book have been written, but you will never find the real supposed original.
Last edited by SpartanTHC at Sep 5, 2009,
Quote by Kensai
He created it, apparently he dreamt the thing.

It's believed he had some schizophrenic disorder too. Like Edgar Allan Poe, interestingly.

Worshipping Cthulhu would be more interesting than most of the other religions out there today...
It's a shame the end part of it doesn't look too good though.

I need to start reading his books.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
There is a film called 'Dagon' that you should probably look into as well. It's based on two of Lovecraft's stories. 'Dagon' and 'The shadow over Innsmouth'. Although it is hardly based on 'Dagon', it just uses the god Dagon.
You could read those twilight books. Now that is disturbing!
Oh, you wouldn't want an angel watching over
Surprise, surprise, they wouldn't wanna watch