View poll results: Which guitar
The LTD
14 56%
The Epiphone
9 36%
Other
2 8%
Voters: 25.
Im looking at some kind of Les Paul as my next guitar, and theres two nice ones which have stood out to me so far which are the LTD EC-401 and the Epiphone Les Paul Custom Prophecy EX. Both have active EMGs, 24 frets and a fixed bridge.

However which would would have a better tone, and better made, easier to play?

I'm not sure what neck I'd prefer, but im guessing the LTD has more of a shred neck, but I think I prefer thicker necks, like the PRS Wide Fat neck carve, my current thin neck hurts my hand at times :/

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/80902
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/75281

So yeah.......which one would you choose, and can you suggest any alternatives?

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
probably the epiphone,
because it has a 60's style neck.
LTD are generally of poor build quality and are more expensive/won't last as long as the epi.

Just make sure you don't buy a Chinese epiphone.
I love white guitars!
I own an epiphone LP and a LTD ec-1000, and the LTD is built better, fwiw.

Since both are mahogany with emg's I would expect the tone to be practically identical. My LTD stays in tune better than the LP.

LTD would be a thinner neck with higher frets, that is how my LTD compares to my LP.
Guitars
Amps
Last edited by Matt15f at Sep 4, 2009,
Quote by Matt15f
I own an epiphone LP and a LTD ec-1000, and the LTD is built better, fwiw.

Thats cos its a 1000 series, not a 401 series.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Thats cos its a 1000 series, not a 401 series.

I've never played the 400 series but I have heard the quality is similar to the 1000.
Guitars
Amps
GTFO you troll

Quote by Eat_0n_Kent
probably the epiphone,
because it has a 60's style neck.
LTD are generally of poor build quality and are more expensive/won't last as long as the epi.

Just make sure you don't buy a Chinese epiphone.
Once I shaved them on a friends razor so when he picked it up he just goes "ARE THESE PUBES! OH MY GOD!" and starting beating the crap out of me.
The LTD is much better made than the Epi.
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby
Ill be the first of the fanboi's but AGILE !!!!!one1one1one1!
~Defiant~
Quote by Aurex
Ill be the first of the fanboi's but AGILE !!!!!one1one1one1!

I'm the UK, might as well go Vintage if I were on that route.

Also......do Agiles have 24 frets?

id say go with the epi lp personally but your best bet is to go and actually try both guitars and decide for yourself. also what are you wanting to play? im presuming metal etc because of your choices of guitar but i think id still go for the epi. i have an epi lp not the same but it sounds really good and mine is bottom range, and i have no real problems with it, apart from the 3rd string going out of tune fairly often
The Epi Prophecy all the way. I have played both the LTD and Prophecy and the Epi wins hands down. I like the Epi Prophecy with the Gibson Dirty Fingers pups better than the actives though. I have tried a lot of LTDs out now that GC carries them and compared them with Epis and other guitars I just don't think they are as good as an Epi. There are several guitar brands I would choose over an LTD including ESP. ESP is a huge jump in quality compared to the low end LTD line IMO.

John