i like the sound of my amp when the volume is turned all the way up, but i can't play it fully cranked because of potentially causing noise pollution. so i was wondering if i was to get a volume pedal, would it allow me to have the tone from my amp fully cranked up whilst being at a reasonable level as not to cause a disturbance to other people, or am i looking at the wrong type of pedal.
any help is greatly appreciated and recomendations are welcome.
Yeah I think using a volume pedal would achieve that, but it would need to be in your efx loop, I think. However if you're looking to have that overdriven sound from the tubes breaking up, then an overdrive pedal like a tubescreamer should achieve the same effect by pushing your tubes harder. Either way (volume or overdrive pedal) you should get what want.
rock n roll aint noise pollution
In speed versus emotional playing, i think of an M16 versus an M24. You can have 650 rounds per minute, or one round, one kill. Both should be in your arsenal.

PSN and XBL: xxWONDERxxBOYxx
Leave a message that you're from UG with your username
Quote by greenwoodfan93
Yeah I think using a volume pedal would achieve that

Wrong, you are looking for an attenuator, they let you run your amp at whatever volume you like, keep the tone and only drop the actual volume. Some people swear by them, others arent so keen, but I can guarantee its exactly what you are looking for
Diezel, Motherfucker
Quote by mh400nt
Wrong, you are looking for an attenuator, they let you run your amp at whatever volume you like, keep the tone and only drop the actual volume. Some people swear by them, others arent so keen, but I can guarantee its exactly what you are looking for

+1

A volume pedal before the amp won't get you there, and in the effects loop of the amp it probably won't either - it depends on the amps architecture, but most likely it would just cut the volume to the power tubes, therefore erasing any of the tone gains you get by cranking it. You need to cut the volume after both the pre and power amp sections but before the speaker, and that's an attenuator.

An overdrive pedal is the other way (heck, that's why they came to being isn't it?), but you tone is going to be somewhat different than no overdrive and full cranked pre and power tube distortion. 6 in one, half dozen in the other. And we're assuming that you don't already use one.
get a THD hotplate.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

Quote by Silver-spear94
get a THD hotplate.

+1

Don't quote me on this because I'm not an effects expert but I believe a volume pedal decreases the signal strength going to the amp and a weaker signal will give you less volume, but will also effect your tone.
Yup, a volume pedal wont get you what you want, you need an attenuator.
Fender Mexi Strat
FuzzFace/Rangemaster
Boss RC-2
Line 6 Flextone III XL
Ibanez aw20ce

FS/FT
Boss TU-2
Marhsall BB-2
Digitech Digiverb
Digitech PDS1700
535q wah