So, flatwounds have been recommended to me multiple times (mostly by Humanity), so I thought I would look into it. These are what I found, seeing as these are what I usually play. If I'm paying as much for one set as I usually do for a twin-pack, I wanna make sure they're good, seeing as I'm very broke. How durable are they, and how good would they work for Punk and Grunge, and I also might start playing a little bit of Metalcore, depending on my new band's taste.
Half round might be a good idea. I like those.

Oh, right. Answer the question. The chromes, as I recall, last a really long time. I know a lot of guys that like them, but I myself only like them with high-output pickups, which I don't currently have in my bass. With low-output pickups (I have "vintage" P and J pups), I feel that the flatwounds provide the proper tone, but not an actual note - like playing something through a subwoofer. High-output pickups usually have a little more mids and treble, so this isn't as much of an issue.

Steve Harris uses flatwounds. Then again, he's also got a Duncan Quarter-pound and a maple neck.
Last edited by jean_genie at Sep 4, 2009,
Flatwounds are great imo.
Quote by CoreysMonster
Why, my pasty danish cracker, I believe you've got it!
Flatwounds last a really long time (sombething to do with dirt and grime having no where to sleep on the string) and will be as durable as any other string you buy. The tone is good, definitely smoother, tighter and mellower than roundwounds. However, for what you're using it for, I'm not exactly sure. I would go for it, because you never know what you'll like. I wouldn't have dreamed in a million years that I liked flats because I like a relatively modern sound, but I won't play anything else now. Be warned though, slapping and tapping are a little bit elusive on flats. There's just something that doesn't work about them.

As for the price issue, those set of flats will last you twice as long as the twin pack, potentially more depending on how often you change strings. Flatwounds do not die. They age and like a good wine, just get better.
I have had a set of flats on my AccuBass for over 6 months now. Bales is right; the tone just gets better and better with age.
Alright, next time I order strings, I'm going for flats.
I still have another set of my roundwounds, so if I don't like them, I can just switch over anyways.
Thanks everyone.
I've got thomastik flats on all my basses, fretted and fretless.

These are REALLY good. and last like.... forever!
IMHO, much better than any d'addario or EB flat...
Quote by corrda00
I find Rounds are better for punk, they're punchier. Flats are good for grunge and metalcore where you need a deeper sound.

Well, I personally like a punchier tone.... I guess I'll have to buy them and try.
I think you said that you liked the sound of year old strings better than a brand new set of sexy yum yum Rotos or something like that, which led me to believe you'd like flats.

I hope I'm right!

I hope you like the feel also, it's a little weird at first.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Are Ernie Ball Flatwounds any good? Since everyone's always ripping on regular Ernie Balls.
Guitars
· Ibanez PF · Washburn WG-248 · Ibanez S520Ex
· Ibanez BTB455
· Schecter Studio 5
Amp & Accessories
· Peavey Valveking 212
· Carvin BX1200
· · TraceElliot 1028H
· · Custom 1x15 Eminence

· · Carvin BRX4.10
Quote by the humanity
I think you said that you liked the sound of year old strings better than a brand new set of sexy yum yum Rotos or something like that, which led me to believe you'd like flats.

I hope I'm right!

I hope you like the feel also, it's a little weird at first.

Hey, more like 6 month old, not year olds And it was about my D' Addario's, I prefer them once they've been broken in a bit.
Quote by jean_genie
Steve Harris uses flatwounds. Then again, he's also got a Duncan Quarter-pound and a maple neck.

And they're Rotosound flats, which are really bright as far as flats go, and he digs in really hard, to the point that they're almost slapped, and he mixes in a lot of brightness, IIRC

Anyway, I'd only use flats for Jazz, R&B, and classic rock. For metalcore, grunge, and punk, definitely use rounds
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
i feel like an ass.I kept the stock strings on my bass for like 6 months and finally put some new EB's on today.Sounds so awesome,I mean, I've been playing dead strings for sooo long.
Quote by Phry
Are Ernie Ball Flatwounds any good? Since everyone's always ripping on regular Ernie Balls.

There are better options...

La Bella, Thomastik, among others.

BTW,

There's something called Groundwound somewhere.... anyone tried those?
i switched to flatwounds a long time ago and havn't looked back.
Fender '51 Precision Bass
Hofner Verythin LTD Edition Guitar in Walnut w/ Bigsby
Engelhardt ES9 Upright Bass
1968 Trayner YBA 1A MK II Amp
w/ 6x10 cabinet

www.iaminlimbo.com