I love coil tapping and adding switches to my guitars. I love the variety. Only problem is, I've always found it hard to find a setup that sounds GREAT in all positions. Usually if I find a good sounding humbucker, it sounds like a cheap strat when tapped. I've also wired single coils (lace sensors) in series for the humbucker sound. It sounds...ok. Nothing special.

I guess what I'm looking for is variety and character. I love the twangy character of my tele, and I love the thick, rich character of my 335. Any suggestions on a humbucker which will sound great as a humbucker and as a single coil?
Last edited by hessodreamy at Sep 4, 2009,
not sure but id look into prs pickups however expensive they'd be. they come in guitars that are coil tapped and they sound amazing.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
im looking for the same thing atm, try looking at some retro fit pup
what about that EMG one? 85/S? i think its called the 89
Ibanez RGT6EXFX -> Ibanez TS9 -> Korg Pitchblack -> Peavey 5150 II head -> Mesa Rectifier 2x12 cab
SD Pearly Gates sound sweet coil tapped.
Quote by hessodreamy
I love coil tapping and adding switches to my guitars. I love the variety. Only problem is, I've always found it hard to find a setup that sounds GREAT in all positions. Usually if I find a good sounding humbucker, it sounds like a cheap strat when tapped. I've also wired single coils (lace sensors) in series for the humbucker sound. It sounds...ok. Nothing special.

I guess what I'm looking for is variety and character. I love the twangy character of my tele, and I love the thick, rich character of my 335. Any suggestions on a humbucker which will sound great as a humbucker and as a single coil?

D you mean coil-split?
I mean grounding one of two coils to get a single coil sound. I'm not talkng about bypassing any of the windings on a coil.

Seymore duncan seem to call this coil splitting, but everything else I've read, and everyone I've spoken to, calls this coil tapping.

So yeah, using one coil in a humbucker. Call it what you will.
Maybe look at a series/parallel toggle instead of the coil split, they usually sound better.

What guitar is it going in, are you looking for a bridge or neck humbucker and what kind of stuff do you play?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Coil splitting a humbucker isn't gonna give you a strat sound. A parallel swith would give you a closer sound to the 2 and 4 position of a strat, but coil split dosen't really.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Well at the minute I've got a couple of lace sensor blue/reds in my strat, with coil taps and a phase reverser. But the pickups sound pretty average either as buckers or singles. So I was maybe gonna stick some new pickups in the strat or do something similar to my tele.

As for what I play, it's mostly indie rock from the last 30 years. rem, smiths, smashing pumpkins, weezer. etc
You seem to have a good idea of what you want, the best thing you can do is have a word with CorduroyEW and see what he suggests, he'll even make something to your exact specs if none of his "floor models" fit the bill.

www.rockmonkeyguitars.com
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com