I'm trying to make a replica of Led Zeppelin guitarist Jimmy Page's telecaster, used in the early days of Led Zeppelin, in 1969, which is natural ash with a dragon painted on it.

Here's a picture of it:

http://www.thepaintedplayer.co.uk/images/The%20Jimmy%20Page%20Dragon%20Telecaster.jpg

I've looked everywhere for an ash (or similar colored wood) natural tele with a rosewood neck and a white scratchplate, but can only find this one:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TOP-NEW-TELECASTER-FROM-INFINITY-IN-NATURAL_W0QQitemZ370255176571QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item5634eda37b&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

It is cheap and I can't seem to find any reviews of the brand name. "INFINITY" has anyone had experience with these guitars, or can advise me on this project? Thanks alot!
i played a friends and they were really bad but they are cheap. all the electronics were sh**y and the overall build quality was low
i personaly would never by one but thats just me
if its cheap enough just get it and replace everything, its what i did with my strat and couldnt be happier.
~Defiant~
What I suppose you could do here is buy a Fender Classic 50s Tele and buy a Tele replacement neck with a rosewood fingerboard.. Swap the necks, and sand down the body of the 50s one.

There you go, one decent ash bodied Telecaster with a Rosewood neck. Or you could just buy a 60s one, sand it down, and live with an alder bodied Tele.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Hmm - well I don't have too much money...A cheap one is probably the best choice right now.

So if I bought this cheap Infinity tele and replaced everything - You mean replace the pickups and the strings or the electrics as well?

By the way I have absolutely no idea how to replace any of those things - Is it easy and what should I replace them with?

Are we talking about Fender pickups and stuff? by the way, this Infinity one has a basswood body, apparently quite light, but dents very easily - Is this an Ok wood?
go on DIY GUitar Shop they sell a tele, very nice, - http://www.diyguitarshop.co.uk/kits.htm#tl
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
Quote by Eurozeppelin
Hmm - well I don't have too much money...A cheap one is probably the best choice right now.

So if I bought this cheap Infinity tele and replaced everything - You mean replace the pickups and the strings or the electrics as well?

By the way I have absolutely no idea how to replace any of those things - Is it easy and what should I replace them with?

Are we talking about Fender pickups and stuff? by the way, this Infinity one has a basswood body, apparently quite light, but dents very easily - Is this an Ok wood?

Basswood is alright, but no, the basswood on that guitar would probably suck. You get what you pay for. There's no point spending more money on electronics that cost more than the guitar itself. Grit your teeth and save up until you can get the best parts or something close. Keep saving until you can get better parts like from Warmoth. If at the moment you're not sure what to do, use the time you have until you get enough money to learn more about what you should do to the guitar.

I mean, if your going to do such an epic build, but it sounds like crap, then that's not really worth it. You can save up for a ash body first then slowly paint and get it relic'd if you want, then gather other parts. There's lots of knowledgeable builders here on UG, they can help you and when you learn more you'd know what you want on your guitar more.

Sorry if some parts didn't make sense, I'm quite tired.
Ibanez S540

MXR EVH Phaser
Ibanez TS-9
Ibanez WD-7
Electro Harmonix LPB-1

Traynor YCS 50 Blue
So if I bought one of those teles off the DIY guitar shop website, all I would need is the neck to go with it? I mean is it fully loaded with working electrics and pickups and stuff, and I only need just neck and strings?
No, it's just the body, and you'd have to install all the electronics. If you want to paint the guitar, you need to strip the electronics and the finish first anyway.

If you want to minimize cost, then you're best off actually trying to learn how to do things like installing the electronics and hardware.
Last edited by al112987 at Sep 4, 2009,