On the Randall sire it says the amps use a "single tube system" (12at7). How can a 300W head run on one tube? Also it says something about a mofset. AFAIK SS amps have mofsets. Is this some sorta hybrid with a tube pre amp and SS power amp?
Is it worth paying the extra for this thing over a Bugera? Tone wise, I like both.
Like all hybrids, its simply a solid state, with a tube stuck into the circuit. Just a bunch of money making bull.
Quote by SwampAshSpecial
its a hybrid amp - the preamp is tubed, the power amp is SS

This. Really the tube doesn't affect tone that much

Despite that though if you like high gain metal tones but can't afford a true tube amp i'd definatly consider this amp. Best SS amp i've ever heard in my life. It has allot of gain but it also sounds warmer and less 'digital' than most SS amps
[quote="'']This. Really the tube doesn't affect tone that much

Despite that though if you like high gain metal tones but can't afford a true tube amp i'd definatly consider this amp. Best SS amp i've ever heard in my life. It has allot of gain but it also sounds warmer and less 'digital' than most SS amps
I do like the tone.....a bit thin, but nice enough. Bugera or this? I prefer the Bugera 6260's thick tone, but have not heard anything good about reliability. Is the Randall worth buying at 2x the price of a Bugera 6260 head+Bugera cab?
Is the Crate V100H any good?
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Sep 4, 2009,
Quote by GS LEAD 5
I do like the tone.....a bit thin, but nice enough. Bugera or this? I prefer the Bugera 6260's thick tone, but have not heard anything good about reliability. Is the Randall worth buying at 2x the price of a Bugera 6260 head+Bugera cab?

Well I have only played the Randall out of the two amps. I own it and I love it. I've heard good things about the bugera too though

I've also heard that Bugeras are unreliable, this is probly true because most tube amps no matter how much you pay for one are unpredictable. Even if you have a mesa a tube can die all of a sudden
Last edited by [I Buy Peace] at Sep 4, 2009,
[quote="'']Well I have only played the Randall out of the two amps. I own it and I love it. I've heard good things about the bugera too though

I've also heard that Bugeras are unreliable, this is probly true because most tube amps are unpredictable
Re tubing is OK. Explosions are not. Is the Crate V100 any good?
Could you suggest some more brands I can try? WTF is a TAB!!! suggested the Randall. Its a good amp (considerably better than my MG). Like the tone too-kinda reminds me of Pantera and early Slayer.
[quote="'']This. Really the tube doesn't affect tone that much

SS amps don't sound digital.
Modelling amps [yeah, they use SS components, but shouldn't be referred to as SS in general usage] can sound digital.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Is the Randall worth buying at 2x the price of a Bugera 6260 head+Bugera cab?

No its definatley not worth that. If your really interested in that amp then hunt for a used one. I think you would be much happier with a high gain all tube circuit though.
Quote by Matt420740
No its definatley not worth that. If your really interested in that amp then hunt for a used one. I think you would be much happier with a high gain all tube circuit though.

Used really isnt an option. Which is why my choice ATM is between the Randall 300W G3 anf the Bugera 6260. Volume is a consideration, hence the 300W G3 as against the 120 6260.
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Re tubing is OK. Explosions are not. Is the Crate V100 any good?
Could you suggest some more brands I can try? WTF is a TAB!!! suggested the Randall. Its a good amp (considerably better than my MG). Like the tone too-kinda reminds me of Pantera and early Slayer.

Explosions? I've never heard of tube amps suddenly turning into C4 before lol

I've not tried any crate amp before, there not too common in the UK. I've heard off other people that they're a great budget amp but you'd have to ask somebody who owns one really.

I'm not sure about any other awesome metal amps around the price range of the Randall apart from the bugera. But if you had pleanty of money you might consider checking out an ENGL powerball. Really high gain tone but amazing clarity. They are amazing amps for low tunings because they don't sound muddy

And you can get quite a few tones out of the Randall. You can get really dirty old skool thrash tones or you can get more modern melodic metal tones. Very versatile supprisingly. I managed to get a convinceing Lamb of God style tone from mine

I'll have to put up some sound clips once I get some decent recording equipment. And don't use the song on my profile as an example of the amps sound, i recorded that using a roland cube they had in college

EDIT: Is there any way you can try both of these amps out before you buy one? Tone is a matter of opinion, I bet most people on here will prefer the tone of the Bugera, but I love the crunch that the Randall has
[quote="'']Explosions? I've never heard of tube amps suddenly turning into C4 before lol

I've not tried any crate amp before, there not too common in the UK. I've heard off other people that they're a great budget amp but you'd have to ask somebody who owns one really.

I'm not sure about any other awesome metal amps around the price range of the Randall apart from the bugera. But if you had pleanty of money you might consider checking out an ENGL powerball. Really high gain tone but amazing clarity. They are amazing amps for low tunings because they don't sound muddy

And you can get quite a few tones out of the Randall. You can get really dirty old skool thrash tones or you can get more modern melodic metal tones. Very versatile supprisingly. I managed to get a convinceing Lamb of God style tone from mine

I'll have to put up some sound clips once I get some decent recording equipment. And don't use the song on my profile as an example of the amps sound, i recorded that using a roland cube they had in college
You got a LOG tone outa the Randall? Damn, those are the sorta tones I'm after! You know, In Flames, Arch Enemy, COB etc etc.
How will the Randall do with EMG's?
Judging from your mentions of metal, the V100 is NOT a good choice for you. It is far from a metal amp.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by GS LEAD 5
You got a LOG tone outa the Randall? Damn, those are the sorta tones I'm after! You know, In Flames, Arch Enemy, COB etc etc.
How will the Randall do with EMG's?

Yea it's pretty scary how close the tone was considering that the amp isn't a mesa Mark IV.

And i'm a fan of all those bands and have got some pretty nice sounds out of my amp while playing the songs by those bands. But as I said before, your best trying both amps out yourself if possible because tone is a matter of opinion. Despite what some people will say who think perfect tone is a matter of fact. But from my experience with this Randall and from what I've heard about the bugera they are both awesome amps, especially considering the price

And the randall does sound nice with EMG's. I know that active pickups usually don't sound great through SS amps but somehow they work together. The Bass responce with the combination of the two is amazing
[quote="'']Yea it's pretty scary how close the tone was considering that the amp isn't a mesa Mark IV.

And i'm a fan of all those bands and have got some pretty nice sounds out of my amp while playing the songs by those bands. But as I said before, your best trying both amps out yourself if possible because tone is a matter of opinion. Despite what some people will say who think perfect tone is a matter of fact. But from my experience with this Randall and from what I've heard about the bugera they are both awesome amps, especially considering the price

And the randall does sound nice with EMG's. I know that active pickups usually don't sound great through SS amps but somehow they work together. The Bass responce with the combination of the two is amazing
If worst comes to worst, I'll toss for it.
I have the RH150D G3. It is a really good sounding amp at moderate volumes. It doesn't like to be pushed hard. It doesn't do pushed tones very well but the clean is very useable and the gain channels are metalhead heaven. Has 2 gain channels with a voicing switch for both so its almost like 4 different channels of br00tahls to choose from. It also has ttons of character at low volume. You can actually play at bedroom levels and get thick crunchy sustaining tone without rattling windows loose. I call it my 150watt practice amp. Changing the tube in the preamp does nothing. I am not convinced it does anything other than lure buyers. They seem to like being mic'ed live. For some reason they get washed out in the mix no matter how you eq it. They are one of the best deals out there if you get the 150watter used. Usually under $200 usd
7 string Legion 7 > 6 Do mosh pits warm your heart? Then become a SECOND RATE CITIZEN.....better than the worst!
Quote by miketheslut
I have the RH150D G3. It is a really good sounding amp at moderate volumes. It doesn't like to be pushed hard. It doesn't do pushed tones very well but the clean is very useable and the gain channels are metalhead heaven. Has 2 gain channels with a voicing switch for both so its almost like 4 different channels of br00tahls to choose from. It also has ttons of character at low volume. You can actually play at bedroom levels and get thick crunchy sustaining tone without rattling windows loose. I call it my 150watt practice amp. Changing the tube in the preamp does nothing. I am not convinced it does anything other than lure buyers. They seem to like being mic'ed live. For some reason they get washed out in the mix no matter how you eq it. They are one of the best deals out there if you get the 150watter used. Usually under $200 usd

I vote for a toss.
the B-52 is great for modern metal.
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
the B-52 is great for modern metal.

Perfect. Thats what I'll get.

EDIT: On musiians friendit says its USD 359 with MSRP USD 1019 underneath. What does that mean?
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Sep 4, 2009,
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Perfect. Thats what I'll get.

EDIT: On musiians friendit says its USD 359 with MSRP USD 1019 underneath. What does that mean?

MSRP means Manufactures suggested retail price.

The lower price is the one you actually pay.
[quote="''] It has allot of gain but it also sounds warmer and less 'digital' than most SS amps

Solid state amps can't sound digital. Only digital modelling amps can.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2