Just a quick one here, two people share this account so i'm unaware if my friend has asked this already

Just like there are 5 shapes for the minor pentatonic, could someone point me in the direction of the 5 shapes for the Major scale? As i currently only know this one......

E-----------------------------------4-5--
B----------------------------- 5-7-------
G----------------------4-6-7------------
D---------------4-6-7-------------------
A--------4-5-7--------------------------
E--5-7----------------------------------

(I'm aware this is the a major scale) so could someone give me the other 4 major scale shapes so that i could play up and down the fretboard?

Thanks.
There's riddles in the shadows
They're thrown the way that i'd expect
And people never seem to know
What they least suspect is coming next
Not saying that box patterns can't be useful, but I think you would get more from looking at the box pattern you have, work out what scale you've tabbed (or choose a root note of your choice) and learn the notes you are playing. Then you can work out the other patterns yourself and then apply them to the fretboard.

Even better would just be to learn the notes on the fretboard, learn the circle of fifths and then you'll be able to play in all the major and natural minor scales all day without thinking about too many patterns!
Last edited by Myshadow46_2 at Sep 4, 2009,
Quote by Myshadow46_2
Not saying that box patterns can't be useful, but I think you would get more from looking at the box pattern you have, work out what scale you've tabbed and learn the notes you are playing. Then you can work out the other patterns yourself.

Ahhh that's the problem, i don't trust myself! I'm worried i'll **** it up lol, i'd much rather the help of you lot

The strange thing is, of all the lessons on this site that attempt to give the 5 major scale shapes, none of them include the one i've done...
Learn all of the modale scales: Ionian (Major), Dorian, Phrygian, Lydian, Mixolydian, Eolian (Minor), and Locrian. Three notes per string.

The way I think is quite simple. When starting from the root note of an A Ionian (Major) scale, the next note will be B. If you start from B (on the low E string) in an A Ionian scale, you will play the same pattern as a B Dorian scale. If you start from C# in an A Ionian scale, you will play the same pattern as a C# Phrygian scale, and so on.

Thinking this way, for me, is really easy.
C4C
Please check out some of my original music and leave me a comment @ SoundCloud
(or in my profile!)

Progressive|Thrash|Math|Metal
Quote by BlisteringDDj
Learn all of the modale scales: Ionian (Major), Dorian, Phrygian, Lydian, Mixolydian, Eolian (Minor), and Locrian.

The way I think is quite simple. When starting from the root note of an A Ionian (Major) scale, the next note will be B. If you start from B in an A Ionian scale, you will play the same pattern as a B Dorian scale. If you start from C# in an A Ionian scale, you will play the same pattern as a C# Phrygian scale, and so on.

Thinking this way, for me, is really easy.

Look mate i'm not being funny but you might as well have been talking in japanese to me, too many people do this, i'm only a beginner i have no clue about the modes just yet........
Quote by M_G
Look mate i'm not being funny but you might as well have been talking in japanese to me, too many people do this, i'm only a beginner i have no clue about the modes just yet........

I was a beginner as well when I was introduced to these modes, but I picked it up pretty quick. ^^
C4C
(or in my profile!)

you gotta learn the scales of A, B, C, D, E, F and G. Once you've done that, you can play all the major scales. Same for the minor scales.
Quote by necrosis1193
Somewhere in a concert hall in Sweden, you have just caused Yngwie Malmsteen physical pain. You also caused him to catch on fire.

Quote by frusciante.ve
I like that new song of theirs that goes all "peeeeeaaaas wiiiill comeeeeee toooo meeeee"

Just because you Seymour Duncan, doesn't mean you Seymour Dunshould
Quote by BlisteringDDj
I was a beginner as well when I was introduced to these modes, but I picked it up pretty quick. ^^

Oh okay then, but surely it'd be better to start on modes when i'm completely satisfied that i know everything i need to know about the major scale?
Quote by MacMan2001
you gotta learn the scales of A, B, C, D, E, F and G. Once you've done that, you can play all the major scales. Same for the minor scales.

The Major scale has the same pattern starting from all the different notes, so there's not much of a point.

Quote by M_G
Oh okay then, but surely it'd be better to start on modes when i'm completely satisfied that i know everything i need to know about the major scale?

Of course! You have to keep your own tempo.
C4C
(or in my profile!)

Last edited by BlisteringDDj at Sep 4, 2009,
Quote by MacMan2001

Are the shapes not the same for all of them? Just like in a pentatonic, if i played one shape i could move it up a tone and it'd be in a different key but the same shape.
Quote by M_G
Are the shapes not the same for all of them? Just like in a pentatonic, if i played one shape i could move it up a tone and it'd be in a different key but the same shape.

Yup, so there's no point in doing that.
C4C
(or in my profile!)

Quote by BlisteringDDj
Yup, so there's no point in doing that.

THanks

I think half the problem with learning from the internet is that there are so many different and conflicting views it's so easy to learn the 'wrong' things.
Quote by M_G
THanks

I think half the problem with learning from the internet is that there are so many different and conflicting views it's so easy to learn the 'wrong' things.

Indeed it is! My way of learning the modes are one of maaany!

I always recommend getting a teacher if you don't have one!
C4C
(or in my profile!)

Try this http://www.guitarteacherworld.com/Resources/Charts/major-scale-diagrams.html

there are the 5 patterns, but please don't just rely on them. Learn the notes\intervals\scale construction. It'll make you a better player in the end.

And you are correct, now is not the time to start thinking about modes it's going to cause more confusion than good at the moment. Learn and understand the major scale, then look at the minor scale. If, after that, you feel the need to learn about modes then do so.
I'm not sure what the question actually is, but you want to learn all of the major scales? Right?

Do you know how to create a major scale?
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
Quote by Myshadow46_2
Try this http://www.guitarteacherworld.com/Resources/Charts/major-scale-diagrams.html

there are the 5 patterns, but please don't just rely on them. Learn the notes\intervals\scale construction. It'll make you a better player in the end.

And you are correct, now is not the time to start thinking about modes it's going to cause more confusion than good at the moment. Learn and understand the major scale, then look at the minor scale. If, after that, you feel the need to learn about modes then do so.

Thanks alot, i'm trying not to think of them as shapes, but as a group of notes.

I can actually construct a major scale, it's just the whole interval thing that gets to me, however i'll give you guys a rest and wont bother you with that

Just one thing though, in the link you gave me with the 5 shapes (*ahem* group of notes) the one i posted isnt there? Box pattern 2 seems very similar but isnt the same. It's as if the one i posted is almost like a stripped down version.
Look up how to create the major scale - it will help more than learning the patterns.

the notes of the fretboard are here: http://bluechainlightning.net/open/fretboardmap.jpg
if you know how many #/b you have in a key you should be able to play the major scale from that. As a help, C major has none.

Here is just the C major scale notes: http://www.blguitar.com/images/fretboard_notes.gif
you can make whatever patterns suit you best out of those.

More important than learning every note/scale is learning how they work. There are 144 notes on the fretboard, but only 1 major scale. Which is going to be quicker to learn?
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Quote by Declan87
there's 7 shapes

There are a near-infinite number of 'shapes' for a major scale.
Quote by M_G
Thanks alot, i'm trying not to think of them as shapes, but as a group of notes.

I can actually construct a major scale, it's just the whole interval thing that gets to me, however i'll give you guys a rest and wont bother you with that

Just one thing though, in the link you gave me with the 5 shapes (*ahem* group of notes) the one i posted isnt there? Box pattern 2 seems very similar but isnt the same. It's as if the one i posted is almost like a stripped down version.

The "number" of shapes doesn't matter - they're just places the notes appear. That means there's as many or as few shapes as you want there to be. Typically they're notated as 2 note per string patterns for clarity but it's just a shape, one is no better than the other and there's nothing inherently special about them - keep reminding yourself that they're just showing you where the notes of your scale are.

Any time you're in doubt about whether a scale shape or pattern is correct check the notes, that'll tell you if it's right or not - but in all honesty you should always be doing that anyway. It doesn't take long to get in the habit and it's excellent practice for getting you used to working out intervals and actually ginding your way aaround the fretboard.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by M_G

There is a link in my sig to the crusade lessons from this site. They will help you get to grips with intervals.

Those are 5 standard shapes that span the first 12 frets and then repeat the next 12. The pattern box you tabbed in your first box is one of 7 pattern boxes that fit across 12 frets, but also can be used to play modally. e.g. the shape you tabbed could be called ionian. I don't think I've explained that particulary well, but it's not going to be important for you at the moment, and as timesconsumer said, there are loads of patterns across the fret board.

But knowing the notes you are playing and being able to find them on the fretboard is the way forward, but you already know that!
Last edited by Myshadow46_2 at Sep 5, 2009,
Thanks alot to EVERYONE here, seriously, you've helped me out alot, sometimes i find things hard to grasp because i think to much and overcomplicate things, but you lot have really helped

(btw two people share this account, so if this account suddenly starts posting about modes etc, don't think "damn this boy learns fast!")
Just a thought but it depends on if you want to learn three notes per string scales or not.

Some teachers teach three for speed I do believe. It all boils down to knowing the notes on the fretboard and what notes are in a particular scale..
My Gear
Fender Strat ('97American Lonestar HSS)
Ibanez RGTHRG1
B-52 AT100
Marshall1960A Cab
Marshall 1960B Cab