I found a similar thread about guitars but it didn't really answer my question enough so I thought I would post my own!

I bought a new bass a few weeks ago and all was great apart from the action was a little high
I took it to the shop and asked if it could be adjusted, and the guy adjusted the truss rod a little - the action is a bit better now but I played it in the shop and there is quite a bit more fret buzz than before
I mentioned this to the bloke and he said that adjusting the truss rod makes the neck bow a bit so more buzz is to be expected - I couldn't tell whether the buzz was coming through the amp or not, but he said it sounded ok to him
My main issue is the buzzing on the open A string which is pretty bad (if I pluck real soft it doesn't seem to buzz much but I'm a metal bassist )
Should I ask him to put it back to how it was before and just put up with the action being high, or maybe there's another problem, like the groove in the nut being too deep on that string?
Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks
PS my bass is Tanglewood Curbow 4 string fretted bass
Adjusting the truss rod is supposed to put the correct amount of bow into a neck that isn't quite bowing right, and if it's given you fret buzz then he's done something wrong.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
what about your bridge? maybe readjust the saddles???
✠I use emotion for the many and reserve reason for the few
✠Adolf Hitler✠
Quote by Deliriumbassist
The truss rod is NOT for adjusting action.

+59659764
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Quote by Deliriumbassist
He changed the action by adjusting the trussrod? Did you see this? If so and that's the case, go back and tell him to do a proper job. The truss rod is NOT for adjusting action.

Yeah I watched him... I didn't think that was the right thing to do either
Can I adjust it back myself?
Quote by ImaginaryEvil
Yeah I watched him... I didn't think that was the right thing to do either
Can I adjust it back myself?

If you don't know how to then I wouldn't. Go back and tell him to do it properly imo.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
I guess I should. Feel a bit guilty about doing that though, as he knocked £50 off the bass for me when I bought it....
These people annoy me.
If you are going to work in a guitar shop with this level of ignorance you should at least decline the jobs you don't know how to do, instead of giving it a bash anyway.

Just to reiterate what everyone else has said, you defiantly need to go back, and talk to someone in charge. If they take the side of the person who screwed you over the first time, get out of there fast.
I just called the shop, he asked me to take it there in the morning
They're usually such an amazing place, always taken my guitars/basses for set up's and they've always been perfect - just an off day perhaps
whats the qualityof your bass? if its a $2-300 instrument its bound to have some imperfections. when you go to buy a guitar you need to play every fret opn every string to detct fret buzz. if there is to much i look for a different guitar. it also depends on how you play when it comes to that, i rarely move lower than the 7th fret becuase all the same notes are closer to the head of the guitar just on different strings so instead of moving from the 3rd fret to the 11th really fast i just play the 6th or 4th depending on what tunig your use. sry if this confuses you.
It was second hand when I bought it, but I think new they are around $500 USD - So kinda middle of the road I guess
I think I know what you mean there