I stripped the stud while trying to remove the bushings in my TOM bridge guitar. I got all the other three bushings out, except for the last one. Now the stud is stuck in there and it doesn't turn either way. Is there any cheap way to fix it?
Quote by Kanthras
Since there is no such thing as perfect tone, and every rig has differences (however slight they may be), I hereby declare this claim as bullshit.
Last edited by Victor Manuel at Sep 7, 2009,
Get a pair of plyers and pull/turn it out of there?

I'm not sure exactly what you mean, pictures would help out
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
I tried the pliers, nothing. I tried filing a slot, and it just keeps stripping.

Quote by Kanthras
Since there is no such thing as perfect tone, and every rig has differences (however slight they may be), I hereby declare this claim as bullshit.
If you have a drill, maybe you can buy one of those drill bits that take out stripped screws. And pliers should work. Don't yank it, but twist it out.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
or you could (this is dangerous though) attach the bushing itself in the drill chuck, put it on reverse, and unscrew it that way.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
^ haha that's ingenious. Do it slowly.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
VERRRRRY slowly, but it should work. do it fast, and your asking for a gouged eye, or ripped off finger, or f***ed up finish on the guitar.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
I'll try the drill tomorrow.
Quote by Kanthras
Put a little wrench on it, and leverage it out. like a see-saw
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem
Justice4AllOne pretty much mentioned all of my ideas so yeah...pointless pun post.

Quote by MightySumo
Thanks fer settin me straight on that Justice

Quote by oneblackened
I was thinking that too, Justice usually seems like a pretty knowledgeable guy.
I got the stud out, but I can't get the bushing out. Any ideas?
Quote by Kanthras
heat it up slowly with a soldering iron. Always works for me, stuff expands, then shrinks, and it gets lose..

or waterpump pliers - they have the best grip.

screw something into the bushing, put something soft on the guitar to save the finish and use a wedge to pull it out.
Quote by Victor Manuel
I got the stud out, but I can't get the bushing out. Any ideas?
yeah, put the stud back in. You should have used it to pry the bushing up.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Ok the bushings of a tunomatic bridge have a hole in the bottom of them. I take a 3/16" or 1/4" rod or a dowel rod will do cut it down to 3/8" or 1/2" in length. Then put the dowel or rod into the center of the bushing hole make sure it is in the center then thread the post back into the bushing and it will raise the bushing out of the body of the guitar. Basically you are using the rod as a reverse type of press the rod will be pressing against the body of the guitar and when you screw the post into the bushing it will raise the bushing out because the post is hitting the rod which is hitting the body which is pushing out the bushing from the body. Do ya follow me? This does work very well! I just used this technique to get my kit back apart after a mock up of the build to make sure everything lined up good. Good Luck
clawhammer. That's how I've removed all the 'studs' for the TOM bridges. usually use the peg from the stop tail and put a towel over it body and peg to protect. pops out every time. just replace you stud. by sounds of it an the look of it, it'll be damaged.
GEAR:
Epiphone LP special model 2 (Heavily modded - killswitch and custom midi X-Y touch pad).
Digitech Whammy, Zvex Fuzz Factory, Boss Dynamic Wah, Electro harmonix Little Big Muff, Zoom G7.1ut, Digitech Grunge, Korg KP2.
Marshall AVT 50x
Quote by shawnsblues2
Ok the bushings of a tunomatic bridge have a hole in the bottom of them. I take a 3/16" or 1/4" rod or a dowel rod will do cut it down to 3/8" or 1/2" in length. Then put the dowel or rod into the center of the bushing hole make sure it is in the center then thread the post back into the bushing and it will raise the bushing out of the body of the guitar. Basically you are using the rod as a reverse type of press the rod will be pressing against the body of the guitar and when you screw the post into the bushing it will raise the bushing out because the post is hitting the rod which is hitting the body which is pushing out the bushing from the body. Do ya follow me? This does work very well! I just used this technique to get my kit back apart after a mock up of the build to make sure everything lined up good. Good Luck

one problem with that plan, he said he stripped it
The Towel-and-pliers route seems like the most sensible so far.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
Quote by bv310
The Towel-and-pliers route seems like the most sensible so far.

clawhammer. tried pliers, waste of time. with a clawhammer you just pull it like a lever, BAM! it's done. 1 second each one. pliers takes awhile.
GEAR:
Epiphone LP special model 2 (Heavily modded - killswitch and custom midi X-Y touch pad).
Digitech Whammy, Zvex Fuzz Factory, Boss Dynamic Wah, Electro harmonix Little Big Muff, Zoom G7.1ut, Digitech Grunge, Korg KP2.
Marshall AVT 50x
Ok, I managed to get the bushing out, I screwed a bolt I found in the garage and pulled it out with the clawhammer .

Since this is the modding gear forum, I'll go ahead and post a few pics of the guitar I was working on. It's an SX GG4 (Mockingbird wanna be ) http://www.rondomusic.com/gg4bobk.html

I also dropped a set of GFS power rails, ebonized the fretboard to make it look darker, and the guitar does not come with body binding, I added the pinstriping tape I bought at Auto Zone for like $4.

Quote by Kanthras