Hey all. so basically ive just started my GCSE course and i have to to a solo performance (with back track) of any song of my choice. In GCSE you get the same marks for performing a piece of about grade 4 standard as you would for a grade 8 piece. so if i played an incredibly hard piece and made one ****-up i would get less marks than playing a grade 4 piece flawlessly.

so my question is, for those of you who have done guitar grades and/or GCSE what famous songs would be about grade 4? im most likely using this as just a benchmark for my actual piece.
Go get the Rockschool books, they're done in the style of certain artists.
Call me Batman.
^That's not a bad idea, although rockschool grades might not be the same difficulty of, say, classical guitar on ABRSM.

Also, I thought I should respond to this:
Quote by Rupert1616
Hey all. so basically ive just started my GCSE course and i have to to a solo performance (with back track) of any song of my choice. In GCSE you get the same marks for performing a piece of about grade 4 standard as you would for a grade 8 piece. so if i played an incredibly hard piece and made one ****-up i would get less marks than playing a grade 4 piece flawlessly.

Playing a piece flawlessly is more than just hitting the right notes, you have to play the piece with musicality and make it sound nice through dynamics, tone, articulation ect.

So if you played a grade 8 piece with all those things and messed up the notes once you could still get more marks than if you played a grade 4 piece like a robot (or like guitarpro). Of course this probably fell into your definition of flawless but I'm just making sure.
Quote by 12345abcd3
^That's not a bad idea, although rockschool grades might not be the same difficulty of, say, classical guitar on ABRSM.

Also, I thought I should respond to this:

Playing a piece flawlessly is more than just hitting the right notes, you have to play the piece with musicality and make it sound nice through dynamics, tone, articulation ect.

So if you played a grade 8 piece with all those things and messed up the notes once you could still get more marks than if you played a grade 4 piece like a robot (or like guitarpro). Of course this probably fell into your definition of flawless but I'm just making sure.

cheers for the advice but yes i did know that.
You'll be best off finding the most difficult song that you can play flawlessly. I played "Spanish Fly" by Van Halen, I wasn't thinking about what grade it was.

Once you have the peice, get your teacher to advize you, they should know what standard it is.