Ok, my 11 year old sister has bought me a Mexican Standard Strat. (£350!) It's the most expensive gift I've ver had and I'm immensely grateful for it! I just don't know how someone her age could get that kind of money and then spend it all on me!

It appears she saw the poster of the strat on the door of more room, but what she didn't realise was I actually wanted was a humbucker equipped strat, a fat strat. Even so, I am very happy about this strat.

I don't want to sell it both because I don't want her to think I don't like it, so can anyone advise me on how to make it sound like it has a humbucker, or more like how to make it sound like a les paul - My favourite tone is that of Led Zeppelin and Jimmy Page, so something like that,

Thanks!
You can't make a Strat sound 100% like a Les Paul. But you can at least get a fatter, thicker tone by putting a humbucker in the bridge position. And if you want, also some single-coil-sized humbuckers in the neck and middle positions.

It won't sound like an LP, but it will be closer than before.

Fender Standard Strats are already ready to put humbuckers in the bridge position, so you just need a new pickguard and the new pickup.
Last edited by Bling Dogg at Sep 4, 2009,
The closest you can get is installing a humbucker in the bridge.
That, or hoping to find some sort of modelling amp or pedal to make it sound that way.
Unfortunately, you can't make a light, thin guitar sound like a fat, thick guitar.

What are Mexico strats made of? Alder? Basswood? Either way, they don't sound like mahogany.
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
Buy a bridge humbucker, a H/S/S pickguard, and then you have two choices:

1) Do the mods yourself (shouldn't require more than a screwdriver and a soldering iron)
2) Take it to a local luthier and pay them a couple bucks to do it for you. Should be a cheap thing as it doesn't take long and is one of the easiest/most common guitar mods.
Read what he wrote before saying "get a Les Paul"....
You should maybe try the Seymour Duncan Little '59

http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/stratocaster/cutting-edge/little_59_for_s/

It is a single-coil-sized humbucker (no need for a new pickguard) with the output of a vintage humbucker, and even if it doesn't turn your Strat into a Les Paul, it does get quite close and it creates a bigger sound with increased output. It's not a metal pickup but for classic rock a la Led Zeppelin it's perfect (i've got one in the bridge position in my MIM Strat, with Fender Hot Noiseless in Neck and Middle).
The 'cheapest' way to do it is to crank the mids to full, and boost the bass a bit more.

Strats have a natural scooped sound, while Les Pauls are more mid-ful instruments, so cranking the mids will help quite a bit.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Go here and scroll down to the section "Altering Pickup Characteristics" and read number 3. This mod is cheap, fairly easy and pretty effective.

[edit] If you don't want the rotary knob, just try soldering a 680pF cap across output and ground of volume pot. This should thicken up the tone without sounding muddy.
Last edited by KingStill at Sep 4, 2009,
There are effect pedals that can beef up the sound and make them sound fatter and fuller.
Strats are awesome, you'll probably learn to love it for what it is. I'd dry to hold off gouging holes out of it and replacing the pickguard for a full sized bucker, just get something like a SD JB jr or Dimarzio Super Distortion S for the bridge.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Sep 4, 2009,
Replace the strat body and neck with a Les Paul body and neck, and then put some SD's on it.
Gear:
Guitars
ESP LTD M-1000 Deluxe w/ FR
Hamer XT-series SATQ
Fender Stratocaster
'75 Fender F-35 Acoustic
Amp
Vox VT15
Pedals
535Q Crybaby Wah
Quote by steven seagull
Strats are awesome, you'll probably learn to love it for what it is. I'd dry to hold off gouging holes out of it and replacing the pickguard for a full sized bucker, just get something like a SD JB jr or Dimarzio Super Distortion S for the bridge.

I agree.
I used to prefer HB mahogany guitars [see my Ibby], but now I realise that nothing beats a SSS Strat.
Keep it and coax tones out with your EQ. Heck, Jimmy Page recorded a lot with his Telecaster.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
I'd start with some Seymour Duncan hotrails, and go from there. You could get a new pickguard and wire it and shape it for humbubuckers, or get it custom made. But the fact is is that Les Pauls are thick beasts of guitars. heavy, longer scale, thicker strings, and made of mahogony. You'll probably get close, but not dead on.

P.S.

Jimmy Page played a Telecaster for parts of his career.
Axes;
Ibanez S Prestige (Bubinga Top)
ESP LTD MH-103
Ibanez GiO with DiMarzio D-Activator X's!
'96(ish) Fender Stratocaster

Amps;
Mesa Boogie Road King II
Fender '65 Reissue

Joe Satriani's Group

Stop the Pick Gnomes!
1. Humbucker in the bridge.
2. Mid-boost.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Quote by JAustinMunn
But the fact is is that Les Pauls are thick beasts of guitars. heavy, longer scale, thicker strings, and made of mahogany.

Nope shorter scale - typo?

Strings are a personal choice - LPs will generally have thicker strings though to compensate for the shorter scale.

I recommend keeping the guitar as it is for now. If you still want a LP sound you'll better off waiting until you can buy one - and that way you'll have both sounds.
American Deluxe maple board Strat
Hot Rod Deluxe
Fulltone Fulldrive II mosfet
Humbucker in the bridge. Put some gain on your amp and add some delay. If you got a tube amp of some sort, find a pedal to replicate a Marshall plexi like sound and add some delay (if you're still using single coils, otherwise the humbucker will cover it.)
Well overall you wouldn't be able to get an LP sound cause a strat doesn't have the sustaine but if you done some messing around with your amp you should be able to beef it up a bit. But remeber Jimmy Page used so many different guitars like Fender Telecasters, Danelectro's so I would be to fussed about it. On some of Steve Vai's albums people reckon he used a Strat on some of his songs.
Mark Tremonti: I have my own mixer on stage so I can alter my volmes while on stage

Myles Kennedy: And why's that Mark?

Mark Tremonti:....I have trust issues with the sound guy

Selling a Marshall DSL401!
Quote by Patcher
Buy a bridge humbucker, a H/S/S pickguard, and then you have two choices:

1) Do the mods yourself (shouldn't require more than a screwdriver and a soldering iron)
2) Take it to a local luthier and pay them a couple bucks to do it for you. Should be a cheap thing as it doesn't take long and is one of the easiest/most common guitar mods.

+1

very nice of your sister, by the way.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?