hey everyone,
im buying a mesa boogie dc-5 which is a freakin awesome amp and im psyched... but i dont know a whole lot about cabs. im looking for a 4x12 cab that would sound nice with the mesa and be decently cheap in price but not quality. give me ideas please!
Budget and type of tone? Mesa recto cabs are freakin awesome metal monsters, and you can get them for under $650-$700 used easily. look at avatars too. If you can find them used, they're super cheap.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
metal is not my forte. i would be playing some alternative tock indie-ish stuff (yes that is vague). stuff like manchester orchestra, copeland, maybe stuff like jimmy eat worlds older albums. my budget is no more than 400 dollars. not much to work with i know. although i did just find a marshall JCM900 1960a for 300 bucks that my friend recommended. let me know what you think
actually, i am now thinking about just a 2x12 for the price, portability, and cause i dont need a 4x12 yet. ive been checkin out the avatar cabs and im likin what i see. tell me what you think
What will you be using it for? For basic home use there's absolutely no good reason to get a 4x12, aside from 'it looking so damn cool and BIIIIIGGGG'.

1x12 or 2x12 will do just fine. Any Mesa Boogie will be loud as hell regardless.
Quote by taz354
metal is not my forte. i would be playing some alternative tock indie-ish stuff (yes that is vague). stuff like manchester orchestra, copeland, maybe stuff like jimmy eat worlds older albums. my budget is no more than 400 dollars. not much to work with i know. although i did just find a marshall JCM900 1960a for 300 bucks that my friend recommended. let me know what you think

For that stuff, I'd recommend an Ear Candy Buzzbomb.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Nice choice on the amp, I have the same one. I got a 2x12 first since I thought it would be cheaper, give off as much sound as a 2x12, and be easier to move.

Wrong.

I paid 700+ bucks for a new Mesa 2x12 recto cab to go with my DC-5. It sounds alright, not ridiculously amazing or anything, but not worth 700 bucks. Additionally, it's a BITCH to move around; all you get a single top strap for a 60 lb. cab. About 8 months back I picked up a used, beat to hell Marshall JCM 800 cab for 275, and I'm kicking myself for not doing so sooner; the Marshall SLAYS the Mesa cab for everything; cleans, distortion, plus it puts out enough punch to sterilize onlookers. And if it helps you, I play a lot of alternative/indie rock, in addition to post rock and some stoner/sludge metal, and the Marshall/Mesa combo is versatile enough for everything. Look into those older Marshall cabs, but also look into ampeg v-4 cabs, old Sunn cabs, or any old cabs out there.

I also use the 4x12 at home and when jamming. It's easy to transport (weirdly, but it's probably only 70 lbs or so, has side handles, AND casters on the bottom), and sounds amazing.
thanks RG_FANMAN, ill look into some of those cabs. and i hope to be using this setup to perform eventually with the band that i just joined. but i dont want to count my eggs before theyre hatched if you know what i mean. so i was thinking 2x12 now and if i need a 4x12 then great, ill get one