Hi, I have a Peavey Classic 30 combo amp, and I play a MiM HSS Strat with an Invader pickup at the bridge, and I play mostly pop punk (blink-182, Simple Plan, All Time Low, etc)

(I don't use any pedals right now)

My EQ is usually:
Treble:6
Mid:8
Bass:3-5

The tone sounds great, except that when I turn the bass up to around 5-6ish it sounds too muddy, but when I turn it down to around 2-3ish I love the sound, except that it sound too thin.

How can I improve this?
Gear:
*Mexican Strat with JB pickup
*Focus by Krame with Invader pickup
*Peavey ValveKing 100 half stack
[img]http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/9028/forumsigzz4.jpg[/img]
drop the treble, increase mids. if that doesnt work, then think about mods

DISCLAIMER: WORKING ON A TUBE AMP IS DANGEROUS! IT INVOLVES HIGH, POSSIBLY LETHAL VOLTAGE!

EDIT: you could also try new tubes as well.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Last edited by AngusJimiKeith at Sep 4, 2009,
It's a tube amp. If you don't drive the tubes enough, they sound thin. 30 watts is extremely loud. Try playing with the volumes louder than you normally play for a while; I don't know what knobs are on there. That could be your problem.
^the classic 30 is known for sounding thin though, and a retube is often a good solution. i find that thinness from not driving the tubes enough usually evens out fairly low on the volume knob (say just over an 1/8 to 1/4 up the knob)
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
You could also try using a boost. But I am a toob-noob so yeah...
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Peaveys generally sound thin IMO.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Turn your bass up?

EDit: nvm, didn't read the full thing, get an eq pedal.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Quote by AngusJimiKeith
^the classic 30 is known for sounding thin though, and a retube is often a good solution. i find that thinness from not driving the tubes enough usually evens out fairly low on the volume knob (say just over an 1/8 to 1/4 up the knob)

Are they? I have never noticed it, granted I have never myself played one, and the times I have heard them have been pretty short.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by Andyrew004
The tone sounds great, except that when I turn the bass up to around 5-6ish it sounds too muddy, but when I turn it down to around 2-3ish I love the sound, except that it sound too thin.

Turn the bass to 4?

Or an EQ pedal, or a Sonic Stomp.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
JJ EL-84's Breath the life into these amps, try that and see if it helps, make a HUGE difference with these amps.
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6
a boost would definately help imo. try a danelectro cool cat to start with and then take it back and get a ts9 or ocd if you like it. but you seriously need more gain for those bands anyways.

also drop mids a little and turn the treble up a notch thats how i get a blink sound.
this is just a quality of the Classic 30 and one of the reasons why I'm not a huge fan. It just lacks body altogether.
Quote by al112987
this is just a quality of the Classic 30 and one of the reasons why I'm not a huge fan. It just lacks body altogether.

yeah, i had one and i thought the same thing. It doesn't have enough balls. You should probably look into an amp with el-34's. Not that amps with el-84's can't sound ballsy, but i don't have much experience with them.
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's