Just some general Fender Jazz Bass questions

1) On the MIM (Standard) Jazz Basses, it seems hard to find one with a maple fretboard. Is this a new addition? On Fender's site it says: "...tinted neck (now available with a maple fretboard)"

2) Browsing Craigslist, I saw this MIM Jazz Bass:

At first I didn't notice it, but on a second glance I noticed the control plate is part of the pickguard. Why is that?

Thanks

EDIT:

Looking online, it looks like the pickguard is part of the MIM Fender "Squier Series". Not 100% sure, but that seems to be the connection I've made.

Also, I think the maple fretboards are a new option for new Standard Jazz Basses this year.
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix
Last edited by yellowsnow4free at Sep 4, 2009,
Quote by Canadian_basser
You can get all of the colours with a maple fretboard on MF.

Yeah, but is a maple fretboard a new option on a Standard Jazz Bass? Browsing Craigslist, I don't think I've seen even one Fender Standard Jazz Bass with a maple fretboard.
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix
Quote by yellowsnow4free
Yeah, but is a maple fretboard a new option on a Standard Jazz Bass? Browsing Craigslist, I don't think I've seen even one Fender Standard Jazz Bass with a maple fretboard.

I don't think it's that new, but don't quote me on that. :P

I've never seen one either, on craigslist or kijiji. I know people who have just bought jazzes, but they all like rosewood :/
Quote by yellowsnow4free

I htink it's just happened this year for the MIM standards
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
it's possible he just added an aftermarket pickguard.

It's either this or because it is an old model. My school jazz band has an old jazz with this kind of pick guard. Also that green finish is amazing.
That type of pickguard was used on a few fenders in the 80s, not sure if it was ever used later than that.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ASTRAL PANDA σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Last.fm