Drums and guitars sound good. The vocal production was HORRIBLE, makes the whole thing sound like **** in my opinion.

Fix up the mixing on the vocals and these will be some solid mixes.
ADELOS
POP PUNK
for fans of...

Motion City Soundtrack, Get Up Kids, Jimmy Eat World, Transit, Brand New, Dashboard Confessional, Early November, Fall Out Boy, Jawbreaker, Polar Bear Club, The Story So Far, the Wonder Years, Something Corporate.
And how do you suggest I do that? I mean, I appreciate the feedback and I'd love to improve the vocal production but I have no idea how I would go about doing that. (mostly because I thought they sounded alright XD) What specifically is the problem with them?
To me, it sounds like an effect.. But it goes on forever and gets annoying. Just work with the EQing. And I'd suggest using a free VST GSnap for an autotune.

I don't mean to be rude. Everything but the vocals sound great.
ADELOS
POP PUNK
for fans of...

Motion City Soundtrack, Get Up Kids, Jimmy Eat World, Transit, Brand New, Dashboard Confessional, Early November, Fall Out Boy, Jawbreaker, Polar Bear Club, The Story So Far, the Wonder Years, Something Corporate.
The effect was a bit of overdrive, I thought it made it sit a little better in the mix. oh well, I'll take it off. I'll mess with the EQ, and try some pitch correction. Thanks for the advice, its appreciated.
I think the mix has a bit too much of a loudness ("smiley") EQ curve. If you compare this to a commercial mix you'll find that it is lacking in clarity. Part of this is that the guitars are scooped in the mids and take up a lot of sonic real estate to the detriment of the bass and the drums. I personally also think that the guitars are panned a bit too hard to either side.

I agree with DibeRightIn63 about the vocal sound. It does fit the type of music but as it is it sits a little uncomfortably in the mix for me. I think you need something a little bit less obvious, more like some slight tube saturation rather than outright overdrive/distorsion. Combining the character of different compressors could work.

The chorus harmonies on both songs sound a bit off to me (worse for And She Swore They Were Ghosts).

Overall I thought the songs as such were pretty good. Wouldn't mind taking a stab at doing a quick remix of one of the songs if you can post WAV-files of the individual tracks.
"If money is the root of all evil, I'd like to be a bad, bad man."

- Huey Lewis & the News
Alright, Ill upload the tracks the moment they render. few quick questions though, do you want the DI tracks for the guitar?

Also, the drums are programmed obviously, and I'm not entirely sure how to route addictive drums to separate tracks yet. If you want, I can either send you the midi file or just the entire drum mix.

Same thing applies for the bass, its programmed so I can give MIDI or the WAV.
Quote by Thomasoman
Alright, Ill upload the tracks the moment they render. few quick questions though, do you want the DI tracks for the guitar?

Both would be nice. I think the sounds you used can work with a little tampering but it might be nice to have the DI tracks to add a different kind of flavor.

Quote by Thomasoman
Also, the drums are programmed obviously, and I'm not entirely sure how to route addictive drums to separate tracks yet. If you want, I can either send you the midi file or just the entire drum mix.

Same thing applies for the bass, its programmed so I can give MIDI or the WAV.

Stereo track drums is fine but I wouldn't mind having the MIDI as well. I want to try something I usually do. Same goes for the bass if you don't mind.

- Huey Lewis & the News
Quote by seanington
Your Drums MIDI file is wierd man.

It's programmed in Addictive Drums, which uses a different midi layout to accomodate all the extra features like different cymbal hits etc.

In all honesty, it's much quicker to do all your drum mixing as a submix inside Addictive Drums - the effects they supply are more good enough. Just spend plenty of time getting a sound you're happy with, and use an external reverb.
You've got a handwired 18 watter but your using an amp sim?!

Dear ****ing christ..

Anyway, I'm on it.
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
Tempo and time signature? The midi file is a bit dodgy..logic isn't a fan of it.
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
Quote by kyle62
It's programmed in Addictive Drums, which uses a different midi layout to accomodate all the extra features like different cymbal hits etc.

In all honesty, it's much quicker to do all your drum mixing as a submix inside Addictive Drums - the effects they supply are more good enough. Just spend plenty of time getting a sound you're happy with, and use an external reverb.

I know AD is wierd wiht MIDI, I have it. Just saying there is only one sound at anytime for me. I might run your guitar DI's through an amp sim if I'm feeling generous tomorrow.
Tempo and time signature? The midi file is a bit dodgy..logic isn't a fan of it.

The tempo 170, and the time signature changes from 3/4 to 4/4 throughout. I think for the most part its safe to say 3/4 though.

Also, with the midi file, if you're only getting one sound at a time I may have accidentally rendered the bass MIDI and not the drum MIDI. i'll check it out.

thank you so much, everyone.

EDIT: Yeah, I uploaded the bass midi instead of the drum midi.

This one should work
https://dl.getdropbox.com/u/1937929/tonight%20drum%20midi.MID
Last edited by Thomasoman at Sep 7, 2009,
Quote by kyle62
Who, me?

Oops. Since you answered I assumed you were the OP .
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
its clear your going for a kindof as cities burn vibe with your vocals. I don't mean to be rude, but i just don't think you can pull it off. I think if you sang normally you'd be fine though. Production wise it sounds great.
I think if you sang normally you'd be fine though.

Thats just how I sing...I dont know how to sing any other way then that haha.
OK, here's what I did to this.

• Since the MIDI file was the bass, and didn't have the tempo of the audio files, I chose to work from the audio only. I had originally envisioned using the DI guitar files as well to add another dimension to the guitars and help with a more natural stereo width but I decided against it. It's still a good idea though.

• I only pitch-corrected the "chorus" section where the harmonies were 'cause that's the only place where the less-than-pitch-perfect performance really became "obvious". I also took the liberty of re-arranging a few note pitches there to better work with the underlying chords. I used the plugin version of Melodyne for all pitch correction. The single line harmony later in the song ("drop to the gro-ound") I completely removed since there was so much pitch drift in the low harmony that I would have had to cut the single note into sections to fix it.

• Lead vocals probably could have used a few volume rides to make it fit a bit better but I chose to leave it with some EQ fixes (cut all the lows under 100Hz for instance), two compressors in serial (an 1176 plugin and a Waves Fairchild emulation). I also added some 8th-note delay, albeit not tempo-synched, and a touch of bus reverb after some basic de-essing. I also added in a little bit of overdrive/distorsion but I used a bus for that so I could mix the effected and clean signal.

The lead vocal was poorly recorded with a lot of plosives. Re-doing the track with a proper pop-shield and a bit better microphone technique would help a long way.

• I cut bass out of the guitars and added in plenty of mids and highs to give them more body and get them out of the way of the bass and drums. I also sent both tracks to a bus and added a little bus compression and a touch of reverb to try to bring the track together a bit more.

The clean guitar was a mess with pops and volume spikes that was incredibly annoying. I automated the volume on the more serious offenders and then added some slight delay to add some interest.

• For the bass I cut a bit in the lows, under 50Hz where there wasn't much going on, and also a bit in the highs to leave room for cymbals/guitars/vocals. Some fairly heavy compression via the 1176 plugin and a bit of the same OD as I used on the vocals gave it a little bit of bite while not intruding on the other instruments. I also sent it to a stereo AUX together with the drums and added a little bit of SSL Bus Compression to give the rhythm section a bit more cohesion.

• Drums were a bit tricky since I didn't have the MIDI files to work from, they hadn't been posted when I did this, and I would have liked to use separate kick and snare samples for some better clarity and easier compression but I used another old trick instead. I EQ'd the drums quite a bit, adding some mids right where I felt the body of the snare was and then boosted the highs quite a bit to give the cymbals/hi-hat a bit more shimmer. I also cut hard at 60Hz or so since I copied the entire track and used the copy for the hard compression.

The copied track I cut almost all the mids/highs out of and then completely crushed it with a compressor to allow the kick to have some serious weight without introducing obvious pumping.

• Since the original ending was just holding the guitar chords while the bass cuts out early and the drums do a snare pickup fill I decided to change that. What I did sounds vaguely annoying and there is a distinct click at the cuts but I kept it like that since this was just a quick job.

• On the master I added my usual setup of mastering plugins to bring it up close to "commercial" loudness volumes without losing too much dynamics (of which there wasn't a whole lot to preserve I'll admit). I start with a Massey L2007 limiter set to about 3dB gain reduction. Then I apply a hard low cut at 40-50Hz. There's an API EQ that adds a few frequencies that might be needed on the overall mix. If I want to add the "smiley" feel to it I'll add another EQ, a Pultec emulation, but that wasn't needed here. For some extra beef I use an Oxford Inflator set to about 50%. Finish off with another Massey L2007, again at 3dB.
  • Total time spent on this was about an hour, maybe 70 min, from import to finished mix.

I think I managed to bring out more clarity, separation and punch and make it sound a bit more professional even though I mixed this using only headphones. (The mix sounds better in headphones than it does on my stereo where I think the lead vocal was a bit too upfront for certain sections.) Comparing my remix to the original on the MySpace page isn't exactly fair since there's a world of difference but it might be interesting. Something I did notice when I compared is that the lead vocal file was missing a few words at the very beginning.

Hear the remix here: http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/ebon00/

- Huey Lewis & the News
Last edited by ebon00 at Sep 8, 2009,
Wow, thats really good. ...It really makes my mediocre vocal performance apparent XD I'm definitely gonna try out all the things you listed on my next mix, thanks a lot.