Today, im building the cabinet for my little gem solid state 1w amp. lol i know its a joke :P oh well. its my first amp what can i say?

what wood is used best? i've heard particle board, ply wood, pine and something called MDF? Also. im attaching the pots to the board as a control panel. how thick should that piece of wood be if im attaching pots, a toggle switch and a pilot LED light? besides that piece, how thick should the other pieces of wood be?

I decided to paint the cab with a black and white VH1 stripe finish to practice for my next summer's EVH strat. Which wood would requier primer? would i need to prime it at all?

thanks in advance
no mdf or particle board...pine or birch plywood are preferences.
half inch thick for normal sides, 1/4 inch for control panel.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
well, if you want it to look like and authentic frankenstrat, i dont think eddie used primer.

in an amp, the paint will kill the tone to begin with, and primer would make it really bad, so theres 2 reasons not to use primer
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
the tones already sht enough. i dont think it could get any worse. besides its just a gimmick thing : D

thanks man
yeah well its a 1/2 watt ss amp. what do you expect?
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
i know oh well. i made it for the portability to take to school as something that isnt worth much value. i love it tho. gonna make its big brother someday : D

why does the paint kill the tone?
yeah its a nice little amp to carry around.

paint kills tone because it dampens resonance. in a cab that contains speakers, this is a big deal. the result is a dull tone, as if the tone knob on your guitar was down. though, you didnt say anything about a speaker, if theres not one, it wont matter.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
k, ya know, i doubt the difference will be massively noticable with such a small amp though, so dont worry about it.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
UPDATE.

i nailed the thing together to hold it together. KRYLON sprayed it black. EVH-style taped it up. sprayed white. waiting to dry and peel. i notice that the fibres from the wood are sticking up... or i think its the fibres.

ANYWAYS - because of the bad paint job (my first , i've decided to add a clear finish on it to make it smoother.. if it will do that. my question is - what finish is appropriate for my situation. i just want to add a bit of gloss and smoothen out the wood basically.

THANKS
This is probably a late response, but just FFR...

Amp cabs are typically made of 15-ply void-free baltic birch. That's what Marshalls use, anyway.

The fibres arethe grain. you didn't properly sand it so now the grain is raised. very bad.
lol i didnt sand the top cuz i thought the manufacturer already sanded it. besides, it was smooth. i sanded down the sides tho...

so about the gloss finish.. what do you think?
Well not a full cabinet, I decided to take apart my crappy SS practice amp since the speaker sucked and turned it into a headphone amp since it has a headphone out on it, so I build a new case for it. And through my pc in a speaker cab sim, its not bad. lol.

Lefty Strat Copy w/ GFS Lil' killer rails + Crazy wiring
Lefty Kona Thinline Acoustic/Electric
Righty-to-Lefty Silvertone Bass
Righty-to-Lefty Memphis Short Scale Bass
Vox AD30VT-XL

Tascam US-428 USB Interface Mixer
Guitar Rig 3
awesome man did you gloss it? what paint did you use?

guys i really need to know about the gloss as soon as possible!

thanks!
well, before trying gloss I would sand it down now (not necessarily til the paint's gone, just til it's smooth) and then put a couple more coats on it. if it's still not smooth enough after that you can try it, but I'll warn you, gloss won't make it smoother if there's big stuff sticking out, it'll just be shinier.

honestly, I would've just covered it in carpet or some other material.
i have to say. my amp is more art than sound right now. :P i wouldnt care if the paint really affected the sound that much.

the instruction label on the KRYLON told me not to sand because of lead dust or seomthing? is that BS or what? so i checked on it today. the paint actually dried pretty well. i might add 1 more tiny coat of white on it of course if i can sand it.

after the new white coat is on, how long should i wait until the gloss?
gloss won't help it. you'll have to sand the entire thing, then wipe a wet rag on it. this will raise the grain. sand it again, until the burrs are gone. keep raising and sanding the grain until it won't raise anymore, then prime it, paint it, and gloss it.

sanding is not as simple as people think it is. i learned this while making the neck for my build.

edit: wait, is this mdf or wood that you're working with? use that method for wood. idk if it'll work on mdf. you could try and let us know though.
its birch ply. so i glossed it . it looks PRETTY good to me. ill post some pics when im done

.......but... i was touching up the black stripes with a marker and i didnt quite let the marker dry until glossing... so i have some yellow blotch stains running down the side. im pretty sure i can fix it tho.