Like what would be good enough without being over the top or anything?
Breaking stereotypes by playing indie on a metal guitar.

Current Gear
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top)
- Crappy Strat Copy (Redecorated, looks snazzy)
- Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Guitar
- Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
Run round a bit, talk to the audience, get them to sing along (if they know the words of course).

Quote by Spoonman69
Rap is music,far better than metal for example. id much rather hear about hoes and anal sex than dragons and supressed homosexuality.
Copy him:

Say things like: "This song is gonna hit you harder than your first period"

Oh wait, you said without being over the top...

Just be energetic, move around a bit, improvise some guitar parts if you're good enough, and most of all, look like you actually enjoy being there.
Last edited by SilentHeaven109 at Sep 4, 2009,
I'm a drummer
i just look up at people while i hit stuff and then do little stick tricks...
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
Just be yourself
If yourself is jumping around you should jump around
If not stay on the ground
Yes.
Quote by Misc Debris
Just be yourself
If yourself is jumping around you should jump around
If not stay on the ground

+10.576930192437

If you're not a running around type of person, try just moving, I play bass, and although I am a "jumper" if the songs is slower, or the stage is small, I just stand there, and feel out the song, moving with it's ups and downs.
Arcane Echo

Just call me Ethan
Quote by Orethor
just look like u deserve to be there

This. Confidence is the key.

Don't try to be all badass, unless that's what you're going for.
Just handle things with the mindset that the crowd loves you. Even if they don't, it will make them like you a little bit more.
Schecter Tempest Custom
Squier Jagmaster
Epiphone Les Paul Jr. (Modified)
Crafter D-8

DOD FX50-B > EHX Little Big Muff > Digitech Whammy 4 >
Dunlop Cry Baby > Zoom G3 > Boss DD-7 > Digitech Digiverb

Orange OR-15
Marshall Valvestate VS100
1. Watch Queen Live Videos
2. Focus on Freddie Mercury
3. Emulate the stuff he does
4. ?????????
5. PROFIT!!

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Be a combination of Devin Townsend and Omar Rodriguez-Lopez. Climb up on amps and jump off while bitch-tossing your guitar and singing and sweeping at the same time while talking to the crowd throught a shark puppet and a haze of Bi-Polar and medication and Marijuana
Like punk the way it used to be? Deranged Youth Its like what Warped Tour should be!

Want to hear something mind-blowing? Pit O' Bodies Its like an amateur hypnotist plus the Spanish Inquisition!
There is nothing random about a good stage performance. As a wise man once said "It's a fine line between clever and stupid." That line is drawn between those who have a consistent stage presence/image with their band, and those who look like 4 guys doing 4 completely different shows. There's a lot intangibles: you'd think that Adam Dudkewitz would stick out and look like a moron, but somehow, in the context of Killswitch Engage, it works. You have to try new things, and see what works. My advice is to play your rehearsals like their shows, and videotape them. Afterwords, review it. What looks good? What just looks stupid? Do the same for your shows themselves. What banter got the audience into it? What turned them off? Were the four of you locked in? What was the crowds reaction?
It will depend entirely on whether you can make it seem natural. Nobody wants to see you pretending to be awesome - they can do that themselves. They want to go and see someone who's genuinely awesome, and if you're not you'd better become a good actor pretty fast.

Also, think where you are. If someone at a festival chucks a cupful of water over the crowd, they laugh. If you do it in your local pub, you'll be lucky if the person you just soaked only throws a drink back.

As said above...plan it in advance, get friends to watch, even videotape, and see 'if someone did that on stage, would it be cool, or just sad?'
Be confident within yourself, do the random guitar tricks that people absolutely freak for such as...

Putting your hand over the neck to play
Play behind your head
Put the guitar to the side of your body
Girations
Foot on monitor/amp/bass drum

etc... etc... etc...

Look like you're enjoying yourself!
Quote by dancelasvegas

Play behind your head

96% of the time i see someone do that, they look like huge douchebags...
please do not do this on stage.
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
Quote by Mr.Cuddles
96% of the time i see someone do that, they look like huge douchebags...
please do not do this on stage.

Agreed.
My guitar modification blog.
Quote by MuffinMan
Jesus was all like "To those about to rock, I salute you." then he grabbed his mighty axe and rocked the Romans out really hard. Of course they were strict classical music so....
I HIGHLY suggest videotaping your performance and reviewing it with the band. Almost like looking at game tape the day after. Try to exaggerate whatever moves you do and look at it again on the video afterwards. You will be suprised how little to actually moved as opposed to what everyone else saw.