Playing guitar / singing for tips?

The reason I'm asking this is because I was out running and there were vendors setting up for a festival in the city I live in tonight., and I really need a few bucks so I figured I could give this a shot.

Part of me thinks that some sort of permit would be required to do it, and the last thing I need is a fine.

Does anyone know about this?
"If you're going to try, go all the way. Otherwise don't even start..."
Charles Bukowski
just do it. david byrne says "don't worry bout the government" i dont think you should either.
Quote by ultimatedaver
We're just trying to help man, cause it doesn't seem like you can get any pizza.
I think you can, but you have to be careful about where you do it.
Quote by Highway60Bob
just do it. david byrne says "don't worry bout the government" i dont think you should either.

I have rent to pay, so as much as I might not worry about the government, I do worry about eviction.
Charles Bukowski
call up your police dept. (the official number, NOT 911) and ask them if you need a permit.
Quote by denfilade
For a moment I thought velcro shoes were ones with the whole bottom made of velcro

She could walk up your pubes with those

Quote by kannon
this post has aids
Quote by NinjaSlayHuman
and 07'ers will always be well-respected members of UG society.
Do it, and if any policeman come up to you just run away. Or sing them a song.
TRANSFORMICE

Quote by Masamune
Wouldn't it vary from state to state?

It could very well vary from city to city, and TS, you'd better check with the festival people first too.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

just go do it, and if you get asked to leave, leave. They wont harm you, they'll probably just tell you to go away if they do mind.
"We are not concerned with motive, with higher ethics. We are concerned only with cutting down crime-."
Call your local police office/lawyer/Supreme Court?

I wouldn't know, in Norway it's allowed so long as you don't put up a booth or whatever (i.e. standing around, all croonin' with a guitar and a hat in front of you is legal, but standing there with a drum set on top of a huge table with curtains isn't allowed)

S t a i r s s r i a t S

Who cares? Do it anyways. If you do need a permit and a cop comes up to you, just explain that you didn't know.

Why are people always so afraid of cops? :/
Not necessarily stoned, but beautiful.
You need a permit, but cops won't really bother you unless you're bothering business. But just in case, learn to play Bad Boys before hand. So if they do bother you, you can make them laugh.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
If it IS illegal, a cop will just tell you that you can't do it and to please stop, and that'll be the end of it. And that's if a cop even shows up.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
I stick stuff in my pee hole.

Gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S670PB
Stratocaster MIM Standard
Marshall MG30 (its purple )
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
In the UK, it's illegal just to sit in a pub playing guitar, technically. Something about music encouraging violence. But it happens all the time, so i guess if it's just you and a guitar they probably won't be too bothered.
It's a festival so my guess is that you would need a permit. But I have to warn you, I am in no way or shape the police department of Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.
It's strange; I've done it in Nashville with no problems, but in Memphis it's a no go.

Basically if you see other people doing it, go for it.
I have yet to acquire a signature.
As others have said, just go and do it, and if you get told that you need a permit or that you can't do it, stop. They'll only fine you if you refuse to stop when told, just tell them that you didn't realise you needed a permit and be friendly and cooperative about it and nothing (should) will go wrong.
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
Quote by BreakingBnj
Playing guitar / singing for tips?

The reason I'm asking this is because I was out running and there were vendors setting up for a festival in the city I live in tonight., and I really need a few bucks so I figured I could give this a shot.

Part of me thinks that some sort of permit would be required to do it, and the last thing I need is a fine.

Does anyone know about this?

Ah, you're from H-Burgh. Cool.

As far as I know you need some sort of permit. I think one of my friends got one once. But I guess it can't hurt to just try it. I think it is more likely that they would just tell you to leave.

I live near Lancaster (city) BTW.
i highly doubt you'd get a ticket even if it was illegal the first time...they'd just be like leave. then go somewhere else and dont get caught by the same cop!
There was buskers at the mall when I went in

When I left the mall I saw them being apprehended by the police.
I sat and watched them get put into the back of a police car.
Quote by bry0n
call up your police dept. (the official number, NOT 911) and ask them if you need a permit.
just do this... simple.
Quote by StewieSwan
You need a permit
This. In most places this is true.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Quote by daytripper75
Ah, you're from H-Burgh. Cool.

As far as I know you need some sort of permit. I think one of my friends got one once. But I guess it can't hurt to just try it. I think it is more likely that they would just tell you to leave.

I live near Lancaster (city) BTW.

Oh crap, I had no idea you were even from PA, man. Very cool. Drinks sometime? Haha.
Charles Bukowski
Yeah, check with the festival people.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
No it's a well known fact that US police officers will immediately tase you, beat you, call you racist names and then **** all over your face.
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
Check with someone from your town's Arts Council or similar body...Here in Cambridge MA, it's a $40 permit, but they just tell you to move along if you don't have a permit.
it'd be pretty retarded if you got ticketed for that
Quote by asator
YOU'RE A CUNT AND STUFF LESPAUL1216.

It's okay because whatever, forever
I'm pretty sure busking is a 5-star crime. You might want to set up close to a safehouse.
Schecter Loomis
LTD Horizon
Ibanez RGA121
Marshall DSL100
Peavey 5150

Quote by emagdnimasisiht
haha
This is the funniest thing i've ever read on UG.
lespaulrocks39, you sir are awesome.
Just do it. Most likely people will think you were brought in on purpose. My moms friend got some buskers for a street party the other day. No permit required, but she got them on purpose, so it wasn't like they just showed up.

Also I live in Canada, best bet is to call the police station and ask.
Epiphone Les Paul (Modded with 2 passive pickups and an EMG81)
Yamaha RG guitar w/ Floyd Rose
Rogue Acoustic

BlackHeart BH5 Tube Amp

Danelectro Metal. Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech CF-7, Crybaby Wah, Danelectro EQ.
Yeah you need a "street performers" permit or else the cops will show up and smash your guitar over your head and zip you into your gig bag.
DOWN WITH THIS SORT OF THING
and
CAREFUL NOW

No man needs a holiday more than the man who has just had one.