Well....

For my gifted final we're doing a massive project with 5 people each doing a part or two of the project.

My friend's all told me to do music, because I'm a bit of a music buff (but IDK much theory :shrug

So, this project is about Star Wars, so I plan on doing a few of the songs from the soundtrack, however slightly transposed to give them a slightly different feel. I play guitar, bass, clarinet, and can record basic drum beats. I also have access to a keyboardist, floutist, saxaphonist, and violinist, so I can cover a nice bit of instruments. I can probably also get a few brass players if I need to do a fanfare-ish thing during this.

The project isn't due until april (xD), but the music is extremely important, and I need to do about 30 minutes in music, (so about 7 tracks would suffice) so I thought it would be better do to it now, before I get get bogged down with work.

I plan on using my friend's mac to record and edit everything,

So, now this is the part you actually need to help me with....

What could I do to add a bit of flair to the thing? What would be some interesting harmonies to lay over certain parts of the track?

I plan on using electric guitar for most of the track, is this a good idea? Or should I do some clean guitar or keys equally?

I plan on br00talizing a song for lulz, what song would you suggest?

How would you suggest me recording? I was thinking either following the music I write with one guitar, then adding a rhythm guitar over that, but my one friend suggested I do it twice: once with clean, once with distortion. What would you suggest?

How would I add some sweeps over a few parts in songs?

Even though it is a Star Wars theme, should I add some of my music? I'll probably have to make it a bit less brootal, but do you think it would be a good idea just to get people to listen to something other than Star Wars?

Finally, I need about 5-6 Star Wars songs, which ones should I do? So far my group has settled on..

Main Theme (on guitar, keys, bass, and possibly strings)
Imperial March (Probably the one I'll br00talize)
Cantina Band (Woodwinds, keys, and clean guitar)

I would like to have a ballad-ish song thrown in there, are there any of those in the soundtrack?

tl;dr: Sucks for you, read it.

Thanks!
Quote by BobDetroit
Directions:
Unplug keyboard.
Place it in your butt so you can't post anymore.

Quote by Fadetoblack5:03
You deserve some form of awesome reward, but I'm to lazy. Imagine the rest of these:

You should thrown in the duel of fates and the great pit of carkoon.
Quote by wafl
You should thrown in the duel of fates and the great pit of carkoon.

Will do :P
Quote by BobDetroit
Directions:
Unplug keyboard.

You deserve some form of awesome reward, but I'm to lazy. Imagine the rest of these:

What is the project overall? Film music is normally background. Rock/metal (which i guess you play from your post) is very foreground. If you are doing the background while something is happening you need to write very differently. having volume swells a points of action and being quieter over certain bits where there is dialogue/breaks in action etc.

Imperial march is easily to br00talize i would say, fits overdriven guitar quite well

I would guess it'd be hard to add harmonies to it, John Williams knew what he was doing, and since he was writing background would tend to spend a lot of time on harmonies over strong driving melodies (i've never studied it in detail though) so writing more won't be easy.

Final note - you have LOADS of different instruments - use as many as you can, it will sound so much better. If you're not writing any lyrics (which could be fun :p) 30 mins of distorted guitar is going to be boring as ****. Use the instruments as well as you can, it'll add so much interest to your interest you wouldn't believe
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Not much to help, but let me say, Cantina band is an awesome jam. Good stuff.
What could I do to add a bit of flair to the thing? What would be some interesting harmonies to lay over certain parts of the track?
add a few fills maybe some rhythm changes. Another idea is put all the tracks together and do a 30min medley.
I don't think you will need to do much as you will find that after you arrange the pieces for the limited amount of instruments, you will need to tweek things to suit the range/skill/tone of the instruments/players

I plan on using electric guitar for most of the track, is this a good idea? Or should I do some clean guitar or keys equally?

This is really just taste, I think. Is the music going behind anything, or is it the staring role? You need to think about the context the piece is in. What makes a piece a good soundtrack?

I plan on br00talizing a song for lulz, what song would you suggest?
one that everyone knows. The effect will be much better if everyone still recognises what the original is.
Is this going to be a presentation, or what?

How would you suggest me recording? I was thinking either following the music I write with one guitar, then adding a rhythm guitar over that, but my one friend suggested I do it twice: once with clean, once with distortion. What would you suggest?
Whatever sounds better, try your idea, try your friend's idea. It's not gonna take that much longer to lay the track down twice.

How would I add some sweeps over a few parts in songs?
I'd say just go over the longer notes. But, I would also say, you're looking at it the wrong way. Unless you're doing this to demonstrate sweeps, it doesn't need sweeps. If you hear a space where you think "Hey a sweep could be really cool here" then put it in. But don't go putting any unnecessary sweeps in there just because you can.

Even though it is a Star Wars theme, should I add some of my music? I'll probably have to make it a bit less brootal, but do you think it would be a good idea just to get people to listen to something other than Star Wars?
If the theme is Star Wars, stay with that. If it is Sci-Fi in general go with that. If you feel you can "write in the style of" John William than do that. I'm guessing part of this project asks you why you did what you did? "In the style of" if done well and explained well will get you great marks but might take a little more study.

Finally, I need about 5-6 Star Wars songs, which ones should I do? So far my group has settled on..

Main Theme (on guitar, keys, bass, and possibly strings)
Imperial March (Probably the one I'll br00talize)
Cantina Band (Woodwinds, keys, and clean guitar)
Yoda's Theme
Bar scene

I would like to have a ballad-ish song thrown in there, are there any of those in the soundtrack?

Buy the soundtrack. Or google it. EVERYTHING is on Youtube.

Just my opinion. If you need any help arranging the pieces for specific instruments, gimme a bell. I have a bit of practise arranging things for our school concert band.

Quote by doive

I would guess it'd be hard to add harmonies to it, John Williams knew what he was doing, and since he was writing background would tend to spend a lot of time on harmonies over strong driving melodies (i've never studied it in detail though) so writing more won't be easy.

A solution to this is ignore what John Williams has done, get the SOLO piano music and work off that. This will allow you to put your own touch onto everything without the thought of "uh oh, what do I do with that?"
As a beginner, I wouldn't dive to deep in. Try just keep to the melody, and octaves. If you really need to harmonise, because it sounds too thin or something, remember chord tones. Try octaves first, then fifths. Going further than that you will really have to look at the piece and analyze it.
Last edited by mdwallin at Sep 5, 2009,
Quote by Zanon
http://www.myspace.com/anchorheaddarthmetal

One of the drum teachers i know, this is his project. Awesome take on starwars

That was amazing.

I'll definitely try to tab that out, it's just so badass.
Quote by BobDetroit
Directions:
Unplug keyboard.