I play a lot while sitting. I hold my (electric) guitar in a classical position and I got my left foot raised up. Still, the back of my right shoulder and the lower back build up some pain.

I've noticed some tension there. The shoulder is tense because I can't really rest it anywhere. Some people suggest that I should rest it on the top of the guitar, but I just can't do it. I can't move the hand well enough if I do it.

My lower back gets tensed up when I lay the body of the guitar on my belly. If I just keep the guitar up, it starts wave and isn't steady at all, so that makes playing really hard.

I AM NOT GONNA START PLAYING AND PRACTICING STANDING UP. That's that.

And also, I'm not too eager to have a strap on the guitar while sitting... it just gets on the way... dropping down all the time.

What do you guys do?

EDIT: Also, I've heard some people suggesting: "start working out". That's just stupid. I'm in a well enough shape. I'm looking ways the get the tension and pain out... not just trying to get strong enough to bare it.
Last edited by January85 at Sep 4, 2009,
try the 'gettin hot chicks' position. named that way cuz chicks call it cool i dint come up with it lolz xD

but enuf, left foot down guitar on ur right leg or hip and just dont bow over your guitar.

good luck
Never seen anyone use it with an electric but many classical guitarists use supports systems to eliminate their back pain. One is a foam support that goes on your leg that lifts the guitar up and the other is more of a braces that uses suction cups to attach to the guitar (probably won't work on a thin electric guitar).

Hope this helps

Quote by Mslaubinger18
quit being a bitch, stand up or shut up
Nice advice...

EDIT: whats with all the morons posting?
Last edited by rockinrider55 at Sep 4, 2009,
Sounds like a muscle imbalance, as though your body is compensating for tension in other areas...probably from how you're sitting, not that you're doing anything wrong. I used to have some similar issues and honestly, working out took care of it entirely. So, I would suggest working out, or changing things about what you may already do, hopefully something. It's not about getting strong enough to bare it, it's all about having the circulation, support and development to handle it.
Yeah, you're not BB King so it's time to stand up and start playing. I suspect you lean far over your guitar also which will put a lot of strain on your low back. Bottom line: it if hurts, your ergonomics are wrong and need to be changed.
Quote by redvetteZ06
Yeah, you're not BB King so it's time to stand up and start playing. I suspect you lean far over your guitar also which will put a lot of strain on your low back. Bottom line: it if hurts, your ergonomics are wrong and need to be changed.

Yeah, thaks, that's what I said in my post. Glad you didn't read it.

I'm not leaning over the guitar. I'm sitting straight.

And like I said, I won't stand up. Many people practice while sitting. They're not BB Kings either. That's why I CAN practice while sitting too. Just need to work it a little bit, if I knew how. That's what I'm trying to find out here.

God... what is it with people giving advice that I didn't ask for. It's like...

- "Hi, I wanna buy a nice PC."
- "Don't buy PC, buy a MAC"
- "No, but I want a PC."
- "Buy a Mac!"

What is it with stupid people?
If you ever suffer from shoulder or elbow pains in your picking arm (right arm, for most people), having your guitar up higher is just going to stress that out, especially if you pick more with the action from your wrist or fingers than from your shoulder and elbow - it will often be better, if this is the case, for you to lower your guitar, so your arm is stretched out straighter. This will take some of the pressure off of those joints and should ease your pain. The downside is, it means your fretting arm will now have to cope with the lower guitar, or you'll have to start playing with your guitar at a more severe angle (look at people like Slash and Billie Joe for examples of the sort of playing angle you'd need).

+1, although perhaps not as low as Slash, that's potentially dangerous if you do it for long periods of time.

Found this from the archives. Gonna try that.

EDIT: Also something that I think kinda work is concentrating on breathing deeply. Sometimes I seem to hold my breath.
Quote by January85
Found this from the archives. Gonna try that.

EDIT: Also something that I think kinda work is concentrating on breathing deeply. Sometimes I seem to hold my breath.
In your first post you said that you don't want to play standing up so how would that help you.

Also, you said you played in the traditional classical position. Your pain is very very common with classical players (which obviously none of the other posters have any experience playing in that position). I already posted above how classical guitarists have solved their back pain problems
There is no way to answer this question here really.

You seem unwilling to change your sitting position, which we can't see anyway so can have no comment on.

I agree standing up all the time is not an option. though needs to be done sometimes for reasons of practice.

UG specifically bans any sort of medical advice (for obvious reasons) so any comment about back exercises/stretches would probably come under that and i wouldn't like to give it. I can tell you to see a doctor/chiropractor about a dodgy back though - that can be serious.

You do have another option, play the guitar less?
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Naah, man. I wanna play the guitar more. Now I only play few hours a day.

And what do you mean I'm not willing to change my sitting position? Has anyone given any advice in that? You mean changing from classical back to the right leg? I've played like that for years and it's waaaay more horrible that this classical one. The foot stool is a pain in the ass, but can't be helped. The sitting position is better in my experience.

The only other advice about changing the sitting position is to try that "getting hot chicks"-pose, but I really didn't even understand what the hell that was all about.

So, I'm willing to change the position. I don't know where you even got that idea. The sole reason I wrote this thread was to get my sitting position better. So suggest something I can try, please.
People have given you advice and you're just being bitchy towards them. Obviously what you're doing now isn't working so quit stubbornly trying to hold on to it. If you don't want real advice then don't post.
Bull****. No one has given me any real advice. So far I haven't gotten anything out of this thread. If you can't help me, then what's the point of posting? Showing off? "Hey, look at me, I know something!1" That's cool. I do it all the time too.

And come on, have some sense of humor.
Quote by rockinrider55
In your first post you said that you don't want to play standing up so how would that help you.

Also, you said you played in the traditional classical position. Your pain is very very common with classical players (which obviously none of the other posters have any experience playing in that position). I already posted above how classical guitarists have solved their back pain problems

I just thought I tried lowering the foot a little bit to get mi picking hand a bit more straight. Didn't work too well however.

It's strange, I know tons of people who play electric guitar in the classical position. I don't know if they all have back pains too, but... like one of them used to play 17 hours a day...

Gotta see what he does, when I can contact him again.
You must be sitting incorrectly dude. It may not just be the guitar sitting stance either - it's perfectly normal to get back pains from being on the computer too much. I get it when I study for a long time each day, and make a point of standing straight for around an hour after each day and that makes the pain go away.

If your back tenses up when you put the guitar on your belly, you are obviously leaning over a little. You are not perfectly weighted/straight. Try making the sitting stance without the guitar first, and see whether there's back pain. If there is, correct your posture. If there isn't, try to keep the same posture and incorporate the guitar into it.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
You must be sitting incorrectly dude. It may not just be the guitar sitting stance either - it's perfectly normal to get back pains from being on the computer too much. I get it when I study for a long time each day, and make a point of standing straight for around an hour after each day and that makes the pain go away.

Oh yeah! I've noticed this too. I sit incorrectly while on computer. Here's the thing, the pain only comes when I've played the guitar... 10-15 minutes. So I figured it must be because of the tension I have in the posture.

Quote by AlanHB
If your back tenses up when you put the guitar on your belly, you are obviously leaning over a little. You are not perfectly weighted/straight. Try making the sitting stance without the guitar first, and see whether there's back pain. If there is, correct your posture. If there isn't, try to keep the same posture and incorporate the guitar into it.

No no, I'm not leaning, it's more like... I arc my back to get my belly forward. Oh wait, now that I think of it, I guess I do lean forward a bit there. Yeah, but like I said, if I don't do that, the guitar is gonna just sit there with no support other than my fretting hand... and the extra tension there CANNOT be good.

I don't get the pain when just sitting without the guitar. The pain comes after I've played a while. :/
you've got to have your arm in a position where you are not using any muscles to suspend it. I dont get any lower back pain (i'm quite athletic??) but I do get that back right shoulder pain when im sitting down and playing for a long time.

so stretch your arms, wrists, fingers before you sit down to play, stand up and play.

actually standing to play is very important because it is harder to get used to and I don't know alot of musicians that primarily sit down to play. (unless it is classical playing)

you said you are arching your back to push your belly forward- precisely the reason for the back pain. you may not notice it, but you are flexing those muscles (even the ones on your shoulder) for a long time. try flexing your biceps for 15-20 minutes. sore? yes.

find ways to sit so that you do not have to flex your arm or back to play, they can just dangle. (most likely this will mean you need to get the guitar as far sown as possible while sitting, so lose the classical position. it makes you arch your back and hold your arm high
Last edited by j-mac71 at Sep 5, 2009,
You can try getting massages/acupuncture and following your physicians recommendations on proper posture. Hunching over your guitar is never a good thing and pain is your body's way of saying "Easy their old buddy, you're working me in ways I'm not ready for"

Following the advice of the other members on strengthening your muscles is also a good idea. Exercise is something we all slack on. Personally, I much rather try to figure out a Hendrix song then riding my bike, but It's important.

Anyways, Good luck. I hope your pain goes away.